Building my Hasegawa VF-1J

GunnerX

Hi GunnerX,

Great job so far! Just a curious question, i noticed that you have glued the front fuselage and the main body together, im wondering especially in the later part of the process, wouldnt it be difficult to decal the red stripes at the side of the fuselage. This is because part of the main body will be covering the fuselage section. Correct me if im wrong unless you have another alternative scheme or method in mind.

Cheers

Hi GunnerX,

Great job so far! Just a curious question, i noticed that you have glued the front fuselage and the main body together, im wondering especially in the later part of the process, wouldnt it be difficult to decal the red stripes at the side of the fuselage. This is because part of the main body will be covering the fuselage section. Correct me if im wrong unless you have another alternative scheme or method in mind.

Cheers

I know what you mean! But i think ( or i hope!) i should be able to squeeze the decal in.... :p I gotta stop for a while cos of a project, but i'll update in a week or so!

Cheers! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok! Here's how i do my shading:

I use Gunze acrylics as for my paint all the way, the basic color for the

1J i used off-white. As for the shading, i mixed a bit of Tamiya acrylic sky

grey with the off-white to get the slightly weathered look.

As for the panel lining, i mixed Tamiya enamel black and thinner until

relatively "diluted" (transparent) then i just dipped the bit of the paint

into the linings and the "capillary effect" will take over, ie. the paint will

flow into the panel lines.

You wouldn't have to worry about the paint smudging the base coat or

wiping it off actually, it's kinda like oil and water; they don't mix! So you can

happily rub off the excess paint with tissue paper or a soft cloth!

BUT... The finishing has to be smooth! otherwise the wash will tend to seep

into the rough areas and become hard to remove!

Mechleader - > i sprayed a layer of clear coat after i did the panel lining :) Not before though, cos the clear coat is acrylic also, so i didn't see the need

to. However, i sealed in the lines afterwards with a clear coat, so no chance of removing then anymore!

Well, that's my technique ( picked up from HobbyJ! ) My previous experience was with Gundam models, so this is my first valk.

Next update when i get home : Decalling the wing!

Awesome job, GunnerX!! Im just about done on mine, just finishing the final decals application then onto semi clear gloss coat then assembly finish with a flat clear coat using Gunze products. No pictures available however, but maybe in the future i will post my collection of hasegawa models when i get my digi cam. Im too impressed with the pre-shading cos usually i suck at it, im more adapt at post shading so my hasegawa models i decided to do a clean paint job instead.

Cheers

Good Job!!

I may have an answer to that shrivelling decals - it used to happen to me too. Its too much MicroSOL while its still wet. I have found that you could use as much MicroSET as you want and its still okay, but MicroSOL is powerful stuff. I find it best to pre-brush MicroSET onto the surface, then lay your decals down, and once in position, press in down into all the engraved details with a damp soft cloth or paper towel to get the details to "telegraph" through. Then, I use a bit of MicroSOL to brush around the edges and just where there are panel lines or details only - not the entire decal - so the wrinkles are usually confined to the panel lines or details - and they usually flatten out when they dry. However when you brush MicroSOL over the whole thing, it will tend to wrinkle everywhere and sometimes it doesn't completely flatten out when its dry.

Good work so far, can't wait to see more.

Hey GunnerX. Good job on the valk! It's nice to see someone building the basic version of this plane as opposed to the supers and strikes. It took a while for me to truly appreciate just the normal version, mainly because I'm big on armor and stuff. Your thread makes me want to pull out my VF-1S and build it normally. I forgot how beautiful these planes can be on their own. You make it look absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for this step-by-step. I think you and WM have to some of the best guys doing this work. I'm gonna have to follow this one more closely to make my model look just as good as yours!

Hagan

Thanks guys! :D Hmmm.. but everytime i press down the decal it kinda slides it outta position, then i

gotta apply more microSET to get it moving again! I'll try your tips master cheng!

Thanks Hagan! I'm still miles away from being anywhere close to WMcheng's standard! But hopefully

i'll improve as i go along! :)

Ok! here's a shot of the 1J body during the panel lining process, you can see that it's awfully messy on the

left side, but you won't have to worry as it's easily wiped off with the correct solvent as seen on the right side! :) Again, the paint finish of the body has to be as smooth as possible. If you find the panel lining too dark, just use a thin brush to dip a bit of thinner into the affected panel line to remove any excess paint!

post-23-1065193084_thumb.jpg

I've switched to using oils diluted in mineral spirits for washes, when the solvent (mineral spirits) evaporates, the excess pigments can be removed with a soft cloth or cotton swab. The only disadvantage is that you don't get a streaking effect you can with an enamel wash which is removed with solvent on a cloth. If you look at the upper wing surface on an airliner, you'll see lots of streaks back from bolts, panels etc.

Targeted enamel washes or even later pastel work can help provide this.

I do like the combination of postshading and washes, though. I'll have to try that next time, I rely too much on pastels and drybrushing.

Edited by TER-OR

Looks great... quick question. Did you do a post shade airbrush detail on the panel lines... or did your oil wash provide that effect? Either way, I think it looks real nice.

Hi! I did a pre-shading with my airbrush ( roughly 60% off-white + 30% sky grey ), then i did a wash with enamel paint! I "traced" over all the lines, but some you can tone this down if it's not to your liking :) I like my jets a bit battle worn! :D

I'm drooling over your 1J... I must say, excellent work. I have the 1J kit but I'm afraid to even start it until I get a few more kits under my belt. I really enjoy these build-ups. I'm a beginning modeller and these are VERY helpful. I really appreciate the time you and, especially WM, take to document your work. PLEASE, keep 'em coming!

Anyway, the original TV version valks have always been my favorites. I have noticed one thing, however. Isn't that a DYRL style pilot in your TV style valk? I guess there isn't really a TV style pilot figure available for these kits. Pisses me off...

I'm drooling over your 1J... I must say, excellent work. I have the 1J kit but I'm afraid to even start it until I get a few more kits under my belt. I really enjoy these build-ups. I'm a beginning modeller and these are VERY helpful. I really appreciate the time you and, especially WM, take to document your work. PLEASE, keep 'em coming!

Anyway, the original TV version valks have always been my favorites. I have noticed one thing, however. Isn't that a DYRL style pilot in your TV style valk? I guess there isn't really a TV style pilot figure available for these kits. Pisses me off...

Hehe! :p Yup! That's a DYRL pilot in there! i was thinking of the same thing after painting the model... ! Wierd, but no choice :lol:

Thanks for your comments! It's actually my first Hasegawa kit too! hope we can see your build up soon?

Cheers!