Macross Zero episode 3 street date (tentative)

azrael

I think its a start of a new quote like how the first one was called "The Sea and Wind and ..." and the second DVD finished the quote. So it could be "Pale blue death struggle" then #4 would be like "Over the sea" or something.

If that is the release date, then it would be "late" Fall.

The title is better translated as "A blue desparate struggle (or deadly struggle)." in English. The word can be used as "pale" or "blue". In this case, it is "blue".

Edited by MacrossX

The title is better translated as "A blue desparate struggle (or deadly struggle)." in English. The word can be used as "pale" or "blue". In this case, it is "blue".

Blue in Japanese can also mean young and inexperienced, somewhat similar to the word Green in English. It's just another Japanese pun that ends up being fairly difficult to translate. I have a feeling based on the box art and the title, we'll probably see a bit more fighting between Nora and Shin, and hopefully not just the one-sided slaughter we saw in episode 2.

And here's your strange Japanese fun fact...

The word for BLUE in Japanese (aoi, ao) in fact actually means green. A "green light" in Japanese is literally called a BLUE light, among other things. aoshingo, aonori, etc, etc.

Blue in Japanese can also mean young and inexperienced, somewhat similar to the word Green in English. It's just another Japanese pun that ends up being fairly difficult to translate. I have a feeling based on the box art and the title, we'll probably see a bit more fighting between Nora and Shin, and hopefully not just the one-sided slaughter we saw in episode 2.

The word for BLUE in Japanese (aoi, ao) in fact actually means green. A "green light" in Japanese is literally called a BLUE light, among other things. aoshingo, aonori, etc, etc.

You mean "Sei" which is the same Kanji character as "Ao". For example, Seinen or Seishounen, it means young guy or youth. They are the same character but pronounced differently. The Kanji character "Ao" is actually green in Chinese and Chinese uses a different character for blue. Also, the meaning of the Kanji characters of seinen or seishounen is the same in Chinese.

Edited by MacrossX

I think my translation said "Pale Blue Deathmatch". Can't remember though.

Is this from an online translator? If it is, they usually translate the meaning word by word and will loose the context. I have included a picture of the characters with the individual meaning. Your translator isn't too far off. As you see, if you translate the meaning word by word, the translation would be "blue" "death" and "struggle" but death struggle/match doesn't sound right in English but the meaning is there.

post-2-1061886832.jpg

Edited by MacrossX

This demonstrates the use of the character "Ao" or "Sei" depending on the context. As you can see, the same character is used for both "Blue" and "Youth". The hiragana showed on top of the character indicates that the same word is pronounced differently.

My handwritings are usually better than this ;)

post-2-1061887955.jpg

Edited by MacrossX

You mean "Sei" which is the same Kanji character as "Ao". For example, Seinen or Seishounen, it means young guy or youth. They are the same character but pronounced differently. The Kanji character "Ao" is actually green in Chinese and Chinese uses a different character for blue. Also, the meaning of the Kanji characters of seinen or seishounen is the same in Chinese.

Nope. Both characters are similar in usage and meaning. They are fundamentally different characters, thus having the differing on-yomi, but in Japanese they are pretty much alike in meaning, thus having the same kun-yomi. While the contemporary usage is to simply use the character from SEInen, you see the fancy one whenever they have a need to be... well... fancy.

When I said "same character", I just mean same "writing", they are written the same, etc :) as i have demonstrated in the previous writings.

I am not quite sure about what having the same meaning. Do you mean the character itself? I have to ask "mom" herself about this! :) Maybe you can message me so that this thread doesn't become the Japanese language discussion.