Dangers of superglue inhalation

Solscud007

well nothing new for me. I new that since the first day I worked in modelmaking.

cyanoacrylate means it contains cyanide ... like polystyrene and many more material, glue or paint we, modelists, are using frequently.

the only thing to do is to use them with caution , in a ventilated place or/and with a Cartridge mask.

Edited by isamu_dyson

CA IS strong stuff. With ventilation and occasional use, you should fine. Too much of anything bad and your body will start calling the shots! The funny part is CA was invented during 'Nam to rapidly seal and temporarily stitch up wounds. That's why it bonds skin so well! - MT

Then the best is use the CA with the proper ventilation, but my workspace is to small, almost only 4 square meters, what can I do to prevent problems with CA?

if you read the post that tf guy put up there is a type of mask. you can get that blocks "organic vapors" out.

Used to work with Cyanid and it is nasty. In the same way you can get alergic to it you can also build up a tolerance for it too. We had really good room vents that scrubbed the air and masks for emergency use that scrubbed out nearly all airbourne nasties. Some once could fart right next to you and while wearing the mask you'd not smell it, thats how good the masks were.

Gosh. I remember when I was a wee little lad, curiuos about everything (and stupid). I wanted to fix some transformer my brother broke, so I took out super glue. On it said "DO NOT INHALE". Being the stupid kid I did who would do the opposite of what WARNING notices said, I took a deep breath of it. All I can say is, it hurt as hell. It goes right up to your head. :lol:

So far no allergy to superglue yet but my exposure to it has been minimal. Its not the most versatile of glues to use and it somewhat damages most plastic so I usually use a hot glue gun.

I wonder just how much people breath in to get that problem O_o

When I'm gluing I just use small dabs and always close the superglue first before continuing on to cut down on the fumes. Also, having the fan on helps a lot :p

If you use it as directed you shouldn't have a problem.

Hi guys long time no see.

My 2 cents would be that mask and ventilate as if u use that mask but use the glue/resin/whatever stuff to long without venting u will breath it in still afterwards when u take it off.

This is a very good and informing thread and should be taken very serious.

I know what im talking about ;) So do they .