Colored lineart

Mr March

Thanks to briscojr84 and some additional help from grebo guru, I've obtained hi-res lineart of a ton of Macross mecha and ships. A big thanks to both you guys, you do MW proud.

My goal is to clean all the scans, organize them into appropriate categories and submit them to the MAHQ for use. In addition, I'm working on re-written mecha profiles that will hopefully be accepted at the MAHQ. It's also my hope that reformatted sets of these profiles will also appear on briscojr84's updated website, a dedicated Macross mecha site. The plan for his website is to have an anime section for strictly "official" statistics on the Macross mecha and a seperate section for RPG mecha profiles. We all know how important it is to keep them seperate. Lastly, I'm also attempting some coloring and rudimentary shading of the lineart myself, using Photoshop CS.

So, here are three examples I've colored and re-sized myself. Please feel free to provide feedback (uh oh).

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

One final note, the black and white scanned lineart will be available to anyone who requests it. Eventually, I want to post all the black and white lineart on briscojr84's website so that it's available to any and all Macross fans. You can then feel free to color it or make wallpapers or do anything with it that you like.

Edited by Mr March

They look great, MrMarch!! Well done.

The only comment I have is that the ship-mode Macross looks to have a wee problem: I think the color layer and the lineart layer are misaligned. There's a slim white edge to the upper left angle inside the line art. Was this deliberate, as a highlight? I don't think it was, from the looks of it (and from the fact that it's not in the other pics).

Other than that, you're doing a really excellent job. Those pictures are clean and clear and beautiful. MAHQ will greatly benefit from them!

They look great, MrMarch!! Well done.

The only comment I have is that the ship-mode Macross looks to have a wee problem: I think the color layer and the lineart layer are misaligned. There's a slim white edge to the upper left angle inside the line art. Was this deliberate, as a highlight? I don't think it was, from the looks of it (and from the fact that it's not in the other pics).

Other than that, you're doing a really excellent job. Those pictures are clean and clear and beautiful. MAHQ will greatly benefit from them!

That white edge may be on purpose. From the shadowing on the pic, you can tell that the light is coming from the starboard side of the ship. That would cause the leading edge on that side to be brighter with reflected light than the rest. I'd like to hear from MR March though for a confirmation on if the lighting that makes that white edge show up like that was on purpose. Well done in my opinion. :lol:

Nice. All good replies so far :)

grebo guru and wldr,

The cruiser mode for the SDF-1 (movie version) was the first piece I colored and the leading white edge is an attempt at surface light reflection. While the highlight edge seems to work well on some sections of the ship (like the forward/main guns), it seems to suffer on other sections (midship and the gold tail thrusters). I decided to abandon it for further colored pictures, so the Attack Mode SDF-1 and the VF-1S Battroid don't feature a light edge. I don't think my skills are quite up to par to make successful use of the technique, so I'll probably avoid it on future works.

Thanks for the comments everyone. So far, it sounds like the work is generally good enough to do more.

More comments are welcome. It's good to discuss any flaws or improvements now, before I go to a dozen more :)

Nice. All good replies so far :)

grebo guru and wldr,

The cruiser mode for the SDF-1 (movie version) was the first piece I colored and the leading white edge is an attempt at surface light reflection. While the highlight edge seems to work well on some sections of the ship (like the forward/main guns), it seems to suffer on other sections (midship and the gold tail thrusters). I decided to abandon it for further colored pictures, so the Attack Mode SDF-1 and the VF-1S Battroid don't feature a light edge. I don't think my skills are quite up to par to make successful use of the technique, so I'll probably avoid it on future works.

Thanks for the comments everyone. So far, it sounds like the work is generally good enough to do more.

More comments are welcome. It's good to discuss any flaws or improvements now, before I go to a dozen more :)

That was what I had thought you did with the lighting. Well done, it looks pretty much how you wanted it if the shadowing was able to be noticed. B))

Looks good, but something about the VF-1S is bothering me. Maybe it is the higher details movie hands on the series body, or just the scale of the forward hand is a bit off.

LOL :) Well, Kawamori does the drawings, I just have them scanned and color them :)