MGS 4 : Guns of the Patriots

wolfx

Is the 15 minute trailer the one they showed when this thread was created? The one where Snake scans the battlefield and talks to Otacon? If not, is there a downloadable version cause my streaming SUCKS. :(

399824[/snapback]

No this is the newest trailer that was just released a couple of days ago. It was shown at E3 also. This is not the cut up shorten 3minute version at Sony's press conference.

Here is a direct link.. make sure you watch all the way to the end. some one is kicking major metal gear ass.

Full 15 minute MGS4 trailer, 100mb

http://www.sendspace.com/file/x2m2mt

The 15 minute trailer is amazing.  I'm glad that Snake gets to keep his eye too... and the Metal Gears are nuts.... I'll have to check out the PSP MG trailer later... does that mean that you don't play as Snake?

399814[/snapback]

Well you do, you're snake,, just not Solid snake. :)

I really don't get why most people have an infatuation with Solid Snake. Raiden was just fine as the main character in MGS2, somebody who could actually flip gracefully through the air instead of having to clamber over railings. Snake is cool, I agree, but the man is getting old, and we're really seeing it here. Forgot where I saw this, but someone once said "for crying out loud, we'll be playing a Snake trying to shakily aim an M9 while pushing around a walker at the same time!"

For all of Raiden's new coolness in the preview, I'm sure we WILL be playing a Snake that can barely hold an M9 up... Kojima's revenge on all the wailing fanboys in MGS2, lol.

As wierd as playing Old Snake feels to me, and as much as I want to play as the younger Snake that we only got a taste of in MGS2, MGS4 looks really intriguing. Meryl still looks young-ish and Otacon only looks about 35-40, so I'm guessing that this actually takes place no more than maybe 10 years after MGS2, and that Snake's appearance is due to Foxdie's effects on his body.

And he doesn't seem to be having trouble holding up his M9. In fact, he seems quite capable of the arse kicking.

Yes, Raiden looks awesome, and I'm glad to see him in this form in the game, taking up the role of the uber-ninja.

He wasn't holding an M9 in his mouth (it was not a Beretta...looked like a 1911 clone)...and the trailer mentions his asking Naomi how long he has to go...it is most likely FoxDie taking ahold of him.

post-624-1147823275_thumb.jpg

Actually I sorta remember FOXDIE was used as a selective killer. Snake was the vector for it to infect other members of FOXHOUND but he wasn't really infected. He just infected the other members most notably, Liquid Snake. Decoy Octopus died almost immediately to it, the ninja was affected by it, Liquid got a heart attack from it at the end. So i'm not really sure if its FOXDIE that Snake is ailing from. And even if its, why is he taking ages to die?

Pretty sure it's FoxDie. It's actually suggested in MGS that Snake has it and that he might be affected by it soon-- and if I remember right, Naomi actually sought to kill Solid along with everyone else. In fact, the trailer has Naomi telling Snake he has six months to live, and that he's lasted this long because he's no ordinary man. I don't think she was referring to his broken hip. :p

Pretty sure it's FoxDie.  It's actually suggested in MGS that Snake has it and that he might be affected by it soon-- and if I remember right, Naomi actually sought to kill Solid along with everyone else.  In fact, the trailer has Naomi telling Snake he has six months to live, and that he's lasted this long because he's no ordinary man.  I don't think she was referring to his broken hip.  :p

399959[/snapback]

Is that why snake has become so philosophical, cause he knows his time is up? :lol:

Btw thanks F360 for the link, but i got annoyed since it kept getting cut off. Here's another link, which you can use your download managers on.

http://playstation3.gaming-universe.de/dow...ler2_E32006.wmv

Edited by wolfx

Heh, what I don't understand is... if Snake knows he's gone in a few months, why bother wasting a bullet? Why not take a cruise, play some shuffleboard... have a lobster and play a round of bingo? You know, do what old people do?

Now I'm curious who's going to play Snake in the English dub? Hayter? Can Hayter pull off a gruff, older sounding version of himself? His voice isn't quite as baritone as the Japanese voice actor's, so the discrepancy in age will be more noticeable... wonder how he's going to pull it off. Maybe they'll only do recordings after waking him up in the middle of the night, so he sounds properly tired and bitter.

Seems like Snake and Otacon are still morally obligated to stop the loolalelalooo/patriots/ or whoever is behind the scenes in distributing Metal Gears around the world and in this case, staged wars?

I believe MGS 2 was abit too fantastic in storyline and was quite a huge gap jumped from MGS 1. MGS 4 is an EVEN bigger leap from where MGS 2 left off. I think they should've made more games of the events in between. Now everything is weirded out.

You know, i won't be surprised if Snake somehow gets a cure for his FOXDIE but ends up being the new BIG BOSS aka misunderstood bad guy by the end of MGS4. People will further reveal to him that he has become what the patriots has planned for years, and a success of the Les Enfants Terribles (was it what it was called?) program.

Geeez .....do Konami games always have to be this confusing?

I don't see any confusion. I only see what will be a kickass conclusion to an excellent series.

Maybe this new re-invented Raiden will be more acceptable to the masses (I thought he was just fine the first time)

Do people really still like this franchise? Every Metal Gear game after Solid on the PS1 was crap.

Raiden ruined Sons of Liberty, and the ending made no sense whatsoever. There were so many mysterious clues about what was really going on and then -- nothing. They never explained how they fit together or what they meant (a la The Matrix and the Silent Hill games). Why was the colonel talking to me, the player? Who the fart knows.

Snake Eater suffered from poor gameplay -- the overhead view where you can't see more than ten feet in front of you, no transition when switching back from first-person view (leaving you lost thanks to your camoflauge), a pointlessly tedious execution of first-aid, and the stupid camoflauge outfits that you could change into, instantly, every ten feet or so, while people were looking for you.

Also, Snake Eater's villains were extremely juvenile and unbelievable, often acting like the bad guys from Power Rangers.

The games are praised due to fanboyism and bad taste, pure and simple.

Do people really still like this franchise? Every Metal Gear game after Solid on the PS1 was crap.

Raiden ruined Sons of Liberty, and the ending made no sense whatsoever. There were so many mysterious clues about what was really going on and then -- nothing. They never explained how they fit together or what they meant (a la The Matrix and the Silent Hill games).  Why was the colonel talking to me, the player? Who the fart knows.

Snake Eater suffered from poor gameplay -- the overhead view where you can't see more than ten feet in front of you, no transition when switching back from first-person view (leaving you lost thanks to your camoflauge), a pointlessly tedious execution of first-aid, and the stupid camoflauge outfits that you could change into, instantly, every ten feet or so, while people were looking for you.

Also, Snake Eater's villains were extremely juvenile and unbelievable, often acting like the bad guys from Power Rangers.

400061[/snapback]

Then why are you in this thread?

The new Raiden is trying too hard to be Gray Fox... he almost doesn't seem human.

There are really only three threads to be tied up that really matter: Olga's baby (why Raiden is still around), Liquid (why Solid Snake is still around), and the Wiseman's committee (why both of them are still around). It would be nice if Kojima could really end the series with this one, since all the baggage accumulated from the past three games has really started to get noticeable. Finish it all off, kill Snake off if necessary, and start something new.

Olga's baby is Naked Snake sent back in time at the end of MGS4.

Ocelot went psycho with Liquid Snake's arm, submerging himself in a psychotic fantasy world of him becoming Liquid Snake.

The Japanese are behind it all, which is why it's laleelulelo (rarirurero, the r's in Japanese).

Seriously though I'll wait for reviews when it comes out, see if there's any justification in shelling out cash for another game system. :p

I thought the trailer mentioned he's aging because he's a clone.

400001[/snapback]

That could also be it. I must have missed it in the trailer, but I do remember (or misremember) something about clones aging faster in one of the earlier games.

He was 40+ during the events of MGS and he was pretty much still kicking ass then.

400219[/snapback]

Solid Snake was born in 1972...

MGS= 2005 :Snake is 33 years old

MGS 2= 2009 :Snake is 37 years old

MGS 4= 2015 :Snake is 43 years old (Confirmed by Kojima at E3 '06)....so he's aging rapidly as a result of the cloning and or FOXDIE.

Edited by Gaijin

Raiden ruined Sons of Liberty, and the ending made no sense whatsoever. There were so many mysterious clues about what was really going on and then -- nothing. They never explained how they fit together or what they meant (a la The Matrix and the Silent Hill games).  Why was the colonel talking to me, the player? Who the fart knows.

400061[/snapback]

You're wasting everyone's time. Obviously you don't like the series so you really have no reason to be in on this thread.

Don't pull the trigger Snake! Don't do it!

Pull an Alien 3 Ripley, or Terminator 2 T-800 death. It's not like they can't find his corpse and use his body for stuff with the way he was going to shoot himself... ... ... If he even manages to kill himself. He's more likely going to miss the important stuff and turn himself into a drooling vegetable. :p

Did anyone see the Medicom MGS4 Snake that's being worked on?

Don't pull the trigger Snake! Don't do it!

Pull an Alien 3 Ripley, or Terminator 2 T-800 death.  It's not like they can't find his corpse and use his body for stuff with the way he was going to shoot himself...  ... ...  If he even manages to kill himself.  He's more likely going to miss the important stuff and turn himself into a drooling vegetable. :p

Did anyone see the Medicom MGS4 Snake that's being worked on?

400351[/snapback]

Something tells me there's a lot more to that scene than what we've been shown. I find it difficult to believe that Snake would just commit suicide right there in the middle of town

On the Metal Gear Series, anyone notice that game for the PSP that takes place after MGS3 and is the link between MGS3 and Metal Gear 1? What makes Big Boss form Fox-Hound and turns him into the Big Boss that Solid Snake takes on in Metal Gear.

I wish that it would be a PS2 game rather than a psp. I wanna know what happens, but I'm not buying another freaking handheld system. The last thing I bought was a Neo Geo pocket color(love that system).

And what's up with Snake being put in the next Smash Bros game! :blink:

400061[/snapback]

Yet you bought and played every single one of them like the fanboys who praised the series. :lol:

BTW, There are people who rather enjoy ambiguity that allows them to exercise their brains and formulate their own theories and reach their own conclusions, rather than have everything handed to them on a silver platter in the form of an explaination.

On the Metal Gear Series, anyone notice that game for the PSP that takes place after MGS3 and is the link between MGS3 and Metal Gear 1?  What makes Big Boss form Fox-Hound and turns him into the Big Boss that Solid Snake takes on in Metal Gear.

I wish that it would be a PS2 game rather than a psp.  I wanna know what happens, but I'm not buying another freaking handheld system.  The last thing I bought was a Neo Geo pocket color(love that system).

400389[/snapback]

That's Metal Gear Acid. Its a tactical turn based "card game". You get a buncha cards and you execute moves with the cards. There's MGA1 and 2.

On the Metal Gear Series, anyone notice that game for the PSP that takes place after MGS3 and is the link between MGS3 and Metal Gear 1?  What makes Big Boss form Fox-Hound and turns him into the Big Boss that Solid Snake takes on in Metal Gear.

I wish that it would be a PS2 game rather than a psp.  I wanna know what happens, but I'm not buying another freaking handheld system.  The last thing I bought was a Neo Geo pocket color(love that system).

400389[/snapback]

That's Metal Gear Acid. Its a tactical turn based "card game". You get a buncha cards and you execute moves with the cards. There's MGA1 and 2.

400451[/snapback]

No, I'm talking about Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops:

Kojima Productions Special E3 site

Click on English, then click on MPO

You'll see what I'm talking about.