History in my Hands..

I'm three weeks late with this post, but better late then never. B))

A month before Burt Rutan's SpaceShipOne became the first manned civilan aircraft to reach space, Ky Michaelson's CSXT became the first unmanned civilian rocket to reach space.

One of the CSXT team members was Bruce W. Lee who just also happens to head up our model/high power rocketry group here in southeast Nebraska.

Since Bruce has been good friends with Ky for a while now, Ky has let Bruce borrow the payload/nosecone section for the past month. The fin canister/motor section has yet to be found though it's presumed to have buried itself deep underground.

At our monthly meeting back on July 6th, Bruce brought it in for all to see.

First of all, here's me holding it... I believe the whole package here was about 85 pounds so it's a little on the heavy side. :)

post-26-1091150507_thumb.jpg

When the payload section landed on the rocky side of a nearby mountain near the Black Rock Desert, it was going about 80 to 100 mph (it used a small parachute). The force bent the steel tip of the nosecone.

post-26-1091150875_thumb.jpg

The reset of the nosecone was made from two pieces of machined aluminum. The nose was anodized red... other then some fading, the anodization job held up much better then the paint. The big scratches to the nose were from when it landed in the rocks.

post-26-1091151096_thumb.jpg

Somehow this is more cool to me than the X-Prize stuff.

How much did it cost to put that baby into space?

And are there any plans to try for orbit?

Including the failed 2000 and 2002 attempts, I believe somewhere in excess of $100,000 has gone into this project including all donations and sponsorships. The Discovery Channel will be airing a presentation on the CSXT and Ky Michaelson this fall.

As for orbital plans, Ky is out, but some of the other team members are talking about it though it will probably be a fair number of years until that happens.

I'm a bit confused, how did it survive re-entry without burning up? :huh:

Same reason that the SpaceShipOne didn't.

When they hit the (dense) atmosphere again, they are flying only at Mach 5 or so, instead of the shuttle's (or anything that goes orbital for that matter) Mach 25 :ph34r: .

That's a lot less energy that transforms into heat.

I'm a bit confused, how did it survive re-entry without burning up?  :huh:

Same reason that the SpaceShipOne didn't.

When they hit the (dense) atmosphere again, they are flying only at Mach 5 or so, instead of the shuttle's (or anything that goes orbital for that matter) Mach 25 :ph34r: .

That's a lot less energy that transforms into heat.

Actually I think it only reaches about Mach 2.5. Furthermore, they got that shuttlecock recovery arrangement to help lower it.

You should enter your rocket into the Smithsonian Institute! http://www.nasm.si.edu/

.. or make a huge codpiece out of it. whichever you prefer! :D

Actually that might be apossibility. I understand that an effort will be made soon to look for the bottom section soon, but if it's buried underground and since it didn't have a GPS transmitter, that might be quite difficult.

And here's where the payload section landed.

How deep is that into the ground? :huh:

Only about the length of the nose cone (a few feet). If it hadn't landed in something hard, it would have been buried deeper and that may have effected the GPS transmission. The payload section was located a day after the flight.