Lethal Skies

Coota0

WHile I'm waiting for Ace Combat I've been kinda lacking in the flight gaming area. I'm tired of WWII, and the few computer sims out just aren't doing it for me. I saw Lethal Skies get a 4 out of 5 on Tech TV and wondered if anyone had played it, and what they thought?

WHile I'm waiting for Ace Combat I've been kinda lacking in the flight gaming area. I'm tired of WWII, and the few computer sims out just aren't doing it for me. I saw Lethal Skies get a 4 out of 5 on Tech TV and wondered if anyone had played it, and what they thought?

While you're waiting for Ace Combat 5, do yourself a favor and just play Ace Combat 4 again. Maybe bust out the old PSone copies of Ace Combat 2 or 3. If you're really desperate, try Air Force Delta Strike (but be warned that the developers seem to be trying to go out of their way to make overly frustrating missions). But, for the love of Kawamori, stay as far away from the Lethal Skies games as possible. I made the mistake of playing the first one... and then, because IGN reviewed it pretty good, I made the mistake of playing the second one, too. And let's put it this way... it would have been more fun to sit in the hamper out on the front porch and make airplane noises.

If you're really desperate, try Air Force Delta Strike (but be warned that the developers seem to be trying to go out of their way to make overly frustrating missions).

Too true. AFDS started off fun, but after a while the missions just got ridiculously frustrating. Not good for the old blood pressure, let me tell you :D

Before I gave up playing I was getting to the stage where I was shouting and swearing at the game and throwing my PS2 controller on the floor in frustration.

I sorta figured it was time to give up then move onto something else :lol:

Graham

Am I the only one here to not find Delta Strike overly frustraiting?

It was kinda tough at times...the mission that frustrated me most was the one where you were in the canyons and those wind machines were blowing...for some reason, I would always mess up on that one...I must've played it like 20 times.

Thing is, if a game keeps you coming back it must not be frustrating enough...if you say screw this...then it's frustrating enough.

Am I the only one here to not find Delta Strike overly frustraiting?

It was kinda tough at times...the mission that frustrated me most was the one where you were in the canyons and those wind machines were blowing...for some reason, I would always mess up on that one...I must've played it like 20 times.

Thing is, if a game keeps you coming back it must not be frustrating enough...if you say screw this...then it's frustrating enough.

Man, that was my favorite level, that level is so much fun just blasting through it on full afterburner with the S-55.

While you're waiting for Ace Combat 5, do yourself a favor and just play Ace Combat 4 again. Maybe bust out the old PSone copies of Ace Combat 2 or 3. If you're really desperate, try Air Force Delta Strike (but be warned that the developers seem to be trying to go out of their way to make overly frustrating missions). But, for the love of Kawamori, stay as far away from the Lethal Skies games as possible. I made the mistake of playing the first one... and then, because IGN reviewed it pretty good, I made the mistake of playing the second one, too. And let's put it this way... it would have been more fun to sit in the hamper out on the front porch and make airplane noises.

Well in that case maybe I'll look at my PC, anyone played Lock On: Modern Air Combat ?

I'd been avoiding it because I'm not big on Russian Aircraft, but desperation is beginning to set in.

• 5 weeks later...

Delayed addition to this thread--I haven't played either of the following, but they might be worth a look...

Aero Elite (I understand it's at the simish end of the spectrum)

Energy Airforce: aimstrike (import only)

Any comments on these? I've seen some talk about the Aero series elsewhere on the forums, and I'm expecting the latter in the mail soon.

AEro Elite is simmish in flight model, aerowings1 and 2 however did not feature spins or anything. just stalls. Defniitely a good dogfighting experience just dont expect the avionics modeling to be good. Its basicaly all about WVR.

I hear energy airforce is the best pS2 jet game since ace combat if not the most realistic since aeroelite. Did you get the expensive ass headset too?

Sorry to hijack the thread but are there any good propeller-era combat-sim type games for the PS2 out there?

I think it is on Delta strike where you fly as a prop plane..old school Pappy character....that is one cool part of that game...

you CAN use props in AFDS but.....lets face it what idiot fighter pilot would be flying in a prop plane against flankers and migs and god knows what elsse is out there in 2010+? Priop planes are only good in train escxort missions other than that they stuck., And shooting down other fighters? HEH i could only shoot down VTOLs. props are way to slow!!

EWilen i read that the headset s actually500$+. holy crap. However I hear the game is the most realistic in some cases even topping aro elite.

EA: aimstrike arrived yesterday, so I played around with it a bit before going back to the Macross PS2 game (where I'm trying to get all the S-ranks and cards). A few notes:

It does work with the VR headset, and the manual also has pictures of a PS2 throttle/stick combo--I think it's the Hori Flightstick. (The same company also makes an advanced model called the Flightstick 2.)

Overall, based on my experience with flight simulators (mainly Hornet on the Mac, plus a little of Falcon 3 and some of the original Falcon way back when), the aircraft move quite realistically, which is to say they're very unresponsive compared to something like SDF Macross, or Battlecry. (I have a copy of Ace Combat 4, but I haven't played it yet.)

The scenery also looks good, occasionally very good, and the planes sometimes look completely real in the replays, due partly to some shakiness built into some of the replay views, which simulates the shakiness of telephoto lenses tracking a moving object.

Simmish elements include limited fuel and weaponry (including the gun ammo). The airbrake works, but apparentely you can't put down the flaps. Rudders, hstabs, and airbrake all move; I'm guessing that the ailerons/spoilers do, too, but I couldn't see them. Landing gear and hook (for the Super Hornet) are also animated. The afterburner flame is visible as you turn the throttle up and I think the nozzles even move. Another nice touch is the fact that the controller shakes as you transit Mach 1. Oh, and blackout/redout are simulated.

I tried a little bit of A-A practice and found that multiple modes are represented in the HUD/radar. (The displays are different from plane to plane.) But there isn't nearly the level of detail and control as in Hornet, let alone Falcon 3. For example, your search radar is always off when you have the Sidewinder selected; if you want to search, you have to switch to AMRAAM mode (even if you don't have any AMRAAMs left). Another simplification is that pressing one button releases both chaff and flare, whereas in Hornet they're separate buttons (which you end up hitting simultaneously anyway when you're avoiding a missile). Not sure if decoys are limited.

Also noted from the Walkthrough over at ign, some of the planes have AIM-9X and helmet mounted sights, and you do have wingmen to whom you can give orders.

Overall, I think I'm going to enjoy this one, but I doubt I'll buy a joystick for it. A joystick makes a huge difference for computer flight sims due to the inadequacy of mouse/keyboard, and a high end joystick with HOTAS adds nearly as much again over a barebones stick. But the PS2 controller seems adequate given the simplified controls of this game.