1\48 with bored out laser cannons

Armor

I give you boundless props for have the courage and the stones to try to bore out those head lasers. Further props for getting it right. Good job!

I'm sorry that ever one lives so far or I'd drill out all of your 1\48s laser cannons. If your in the Baltimore MD area let me know and you can swing by. I'll have you in an out 10 minutes.

I'm sorry that ever one lives so far or I'd drill out all of your 1\48s laser cannons. If your in the Baltimore MD area let me know and you can swing by. I'll have you in an out 10 minutes.

Rockville!! :)

I've done this to my 1/48s also, its a quick mod that enhances the look of the valk's head considerably, akin to panel lining. Here's a quick how-to:

1. Use a No. 11 exacto blade to mark/start the drilling. Just eyeball the center of the cannon and work the blade like a drill. Make a hole big enough to firmly hold the drill for the next operation. The blade gives you much more control than a pin vise and drill.

2. Next comes the drilling. It's best to have three different sizes to work with, a small diameter drill, an intermediate sized drill, and your final barrel bore size. Drilling in three steps is 99.99% guaranteed to eliminate any chance of splitting the gun barrel of your precious 1/48. A quick way to achieve evenly deep holes is to put tape around the drill about 1/8" to 1/4" (your preference, but they should be the same for each drill) from the tip of each drill to act as a depth guide. Work the drills in slowly, giving 3 to 6 turns and backing out to clear the shavings and repeat until you reach your set depth; try to keep them going down concentric to the barrel to avoid punching through the side.

3. Add some flat black paint to the drilled holes and bingo, you're done. ;)

Edited by mechaninac