Two More Armored Cores

Wes

ARe these editions going to be online?

With so many Armored Core games being released each year it's kinda hard to keep up.

...and their scores haven't been the greatest either. :(

Which ones good?

Is Kawamori still designing cores for each of the series?

If my memory serves me right one of those games is for the upcoming sony PSP and not the PS2.

The article that Wes linked to states that Formula Front was originally PSP only, but will now also be releases on the PS2.

I say: Meh. The AC series lost me as a fan with AC2. I've tried some of the newer ones and was stilled unsatisfied.

If Formula Front adds more of a strategy element, I might be tempted.

AC is no FM, I'll tell you that much for sure!!! :D

If my memory serves me right one of those games is for the upcoming sony PSP and not the PS2.

The article that Wes linked to states that Formula Front was originally PSP only, but will now also be releases on the PS2.

I say: Meh. The AC series lost me as a fan with AC2. I've tried some of the newer ones and was stilled unsatisfied.

If Formula Front adds more of a strategy element, I might be tempted.

AC is no FM, I'll tell you that much for sure!!! :D

I could never get into Front Mission, now if it was FM was an RTS, well...

Sadly, the removal of Human-Plus/OP-Intensify from Armored Core: Nexus made the series jump the shark for me. It was already getting close with its increased leanings towards 'realism' with the introduction of heat, and further down that path having to worry about heat build up from normal boosting and more stringent energy managment.

AC started as a nice, semi-realistic 'anime' mecha build'n'shoot game. It seems to have forgotten the 'semi-realistic' part and just gone off and made itself TOO realistic..

I LOVED the AC games. I got a PSX for Armored Core. I spent the longest time playing the demo in videogame stores, then finally got the real game. I played it religiously. I blindly bought the sequels on the promise of more missions and parts. I got a PS2 MAINLY for Armored Core 2. I even left my PS2 on for several days straight because I didn't have a memory card yet but wanted to play the game. Another Age was bought and conquered, AC3 was lusted for then bought, mastered and played into the ground. Silent Line was bitched about, but conquered after over a month of hard work.

Then I heard of Nexus. Lots of missions, the 'Past' disc.. I was excited! VERY excited. Revisiting the best parts of the previous games in addition to a whole new game? What was there to hate? Then the rumors of OP-I's removal started to come in.. the changes to the gameplay engine.. Nexus sounded good despite these changes. Surely OP-I would help remove the problems of decreased energy supply and gaining heat from boosting that were introduced. No, it wouldn't. Because FROM SOFTWARE gave into the whinings of some hard-asses and removing a part/system that had become tradition. Something that had been part of the game since the beginning and survived 7 games.

P-Intensify kept getting more balanced and useful with each game and as of AC3 became easily switched off when you wanted it to be. From the initial 'go 50K in the hole alot of times' way of getting it, and your inability to be rid of it, to the vastly improved OP-Intensify system of AC3/AC3:SL where you actually had to EARN the abilities, HumanPlus/OP-Intensify was a part of the game. A controversial part, but a fun part for many players. With the improvements to the system in AC3, it finally became BALANCED. You sacraficied all your optional parts for it. You had to EARN it, you couldn't even get a grasp at it until you finished the game. Yet it was still stupid, unfair, unbalancing, and marked you as a 'n00b'.

When the hell did the opinion of a few 'hardcore' gamers get any authority to determine how others could enjoy a game? They seem to have with the AC series, and this former 'hardcore' player of the games, who enjoyed it purely for the single-player experience, has been turned off from the series.

Front Mission 4 is the closest to a replacement I've found.. although Naval Ops: Commander helps fulfill my 'build something to blow stuff up with!' urges a bit better.

I just got Front Mission 4 this weekend. A little old school with the grid-based map and turn-based combat, but very nice graphics (for SRPGs) and the voice acting actually does not suck. It's like playing Gundam 08th MS Team without the annoying sidekicks and the hokey, forced romance.

I just got Front Mission 4 this weekend. A little old school with the grid-based map and turn-based combat, but very nice graphics (for SRPGs) and the voice acting actually does not suck. It's like playing Gundam 08th MS Team without the annoying sidekicks and the hokey, forced romance.

Have fun. I'm just about done with FM4. Its fairly easy(I usually suck at SRPGs). If you spend alot time in the simulators the game is easier to get through. Some of the simulator missions are harder than the in-game ones. I like the linking of Wanzers during combat. Be careful, you can get your ass kicked by the enemy this way too.

The only thing I don't care for really is all the time you spend in set up screens. I know its the nature of the beast but it can get annoying after awhile. Also some battles can take up to an an hour an half(depending on your Wanzer setup, levels etc of course). Thank goodness for the quicksave option.

After this I'll be losing sleep over Tenchu Kurenai :ph34r:

Armored Core... well, I played the demo of the very first one on PSone... seemed alright, but the game had serious camera issues. I picked up AC2:AA for PS2, and I have yet to play it. I hope they fixed the camera.

As for FM4... the voice acting is a bit ridiculous. They went overboard on the national accents. Just play the training mission at the beginning, "Welcome to the Durandal." This does not bode well for the game's story.

As far as FM going up against AC goes, well, if Square made Front Mission Assault 2 (or whatever the FM action game on SFC was named), they'd have a contender. As it stands, strategy games do not compete with action games, and vice-versa.

I'd like to see a new Virtual On myself... one that doesn't suck.

Yeah, I didn't like how time consuming all the wanzer customization/upgrade process is. Reminds me why I didn't stick with the Armored Core series. Sometimes you get awesome gear that looks crappy while the sharp looking hardware offers lame performance. One can neve be happy with them.

I didn't like doing the simulation battles over and over (not a firm believer in overleveling) and things went smoothly until Wagner handed my ass over after I blew more than an hour on that stupid castle map... :(

Tenchu Kurenai!!! I hope it gets released in the US soon...

As far as FM going up against AC goes, well, if Square made Front Mission Assault 2 (or whatever the FM action game on SFC was named), they'd have a contender. As it stands, strategy games do not compete with action games, and vice-versa.

Here's your contender!!! :lol:

Can't wait for this to come out!

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/fm/fmonline/fmonline.html

Edited by VF-17

I didn't like doing the simulation battles over and over (not a firm believer in overleveling) and things went smoothly until Wagner handed my ass over after I blew more than an hour on that stupid castle map...  :(

Tenchu Kurenai!!!  I hope it gets released in the US soon...

Ya I had been avoiding the simulators pretty much up until that mission. The one time I did it I had one Wanzer left and one helicopter. The damn helicopter kept on moving one sqaure away from my firing range. The legs for my Wanzer were crap and had short range. This went on to about turn 75 and then my head was ready to explode. I shut the game off in disgust.

You can only level up so much in the simulators. I mostly do it for the money.

The simulator pays out alot of money which you will need to buy more expensive parts/weapons, computer upgrades etc near the end of the game( ya big surprise lol)

And about Tenchu Kurenai. I heard it was coming in Dec in the US. Some fanboys are upset that Rikimaru isn't in the game(since it takes place before Tenchu WOH)

I like it so far. There is some bad slowdown in the game. Think Dynasty or Samurai Warriors. From Software owns the Tenchu franchise completely now. They bought it from Activision.

Edited by dejr8bud

And speaking of AC Formula Front

Unlike the other games in the Armored Core series, you do not control the robots directly in battle, instead you can issue various commands to instruct the robot how to battle, much like a war simulation game.

WTF?

some PS2 and PSP pics

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0408/game080104e.shtml

Edited by dejr8bud