VF-19A Ravens (VF-X2 Ver) and VF-22 S

spellbinder99

in some background of EP1 scenes(in Asuka's garage), we can find some 2 seated canopy, can't figure out if that's B or D, why don't think it's a B?

What kind of wings did it have?

and in EP2, which type was blowed up in front of Roy Focker? and which type did Shin jump into and shot at Nora? I can't recall now, are they 0A?

I just looked at those scenes this afternoon. Those are A types.

Yeah, Isamu did mop the floor with those pesky renegades, and then in 7 the pesky Varauta mopped the floor with the VF-11s.

And just to prove it's the man not the machine that matters the most, in episode # 7 of Macross 7 "Summer Accident", Gamlin commandeers a VF-11C and proceeds to kick some serious Varauta ass.

There is nothing wrong with the VF-11 in the hands of a competent pilot like Gamlin or Isamu and I still think that the bulk of the pilots in the Macross 7 fleet were unblooded greenhorns (rookies) with no combat experience and/or had grown complacent from 7 years travelling in space with no previous threat. As the series progresses, we do start to see the VF-11C pilots scoring some victories against the Varauta forces as they gain combat experience.

Graham

Err.....have you even watched Macross Zero?

Several tan color VF-0A are seen during the dogfight in episode # 1.

Yes, I've seen M0, thank you. Going back through, I've confirmed that there are VF-0A appearances in episode 2, in both Valkyrie and Battroid form. Shin hops into a downed VF-0A Valk, and at about the 6:54 mark, the VF-0A Battroids appear. At the time of my post, I had forgotten about their appearances--forgivable, since it's been months, if not more than a year, since the series began. I was corrected on this by some friends of mine.

As for episode 1, I took a quick look, and you could easily mistake the VF-0A appearances for repainted VF-0S planes, when you can see them clearly at all. This includes the hangar scene with Focker and Raizo talking while watching the pilots inspect their planes.

Regardless, the VF-0D has more exposure by its very nature (it's the main character's ride), and it's clear Hasegawa is milking the VF-0S mold as best they can. You can also tell that I haven't quite forgiven them for making up a VF-0B (which is not in the list of VF-0 variants as listed at MAHQ, nor does it appear anywhere in the show, unless we're talking the tail end of episode 5; in which case, it's a fairly untimely release).

No disrespect to the guys at MAHQ, but their Macross section does feature a number of errors or omissions, so It's generally better to use the Compendium (which is official) and the official Big West & Bandai Visual sites for accurate mecha info.

While it's true that even the Macross Compendium yet doesn't list the VF-0B, I believe that soon the listing for 2-seat VF-0A will be changed to VF-0B. We'll just have to wait and see :D

The gallery section on the Big West Macross Zero site clearly shows the tan color VF-0 as being the VF-0A, not a VF-0S. As there were only an estimated 4 units of commander type VF-0S manufactured, it's unlikely that the tan color cannon fodder versions being shot down in episodes 1 & 2 were VF-0S. Also, the compendium list the bulk of the VF-0 manufactured as being VF-0A (30 units made).

Graham

Just contacted one of Hong Kong's biggest importer of Hase kits and nobody there knows of any re-releases of the VF-19A Ravens and the VF-22S.

Hase might re-release the VF-22S but I am pretty sure that the VF-19A Ravens will not as it is a limited edition. This in a way will make the "limited edition" meaningless. Anyways, there is always the VF-19 for sale!

Just contacted one of Hong Kong's biggest importer of Hase kits and nobody there knows of any re-releases of the VF-19A Ravens and the VF-22S.

Hase might re-release the VF-22S but I am pretty sure that the VF-19A Ravens will not as it is a limited edition. This in a way will make the "limited edition" meaningless. Anyways, there is always the VF-19 for sale!

What are you talking about, go check HLJ.com. Both are being re-released.

While it's true that even the Macross Compendium yet doesn't list the VF-0B, I believe that soon the listing for 2-seat VF-0A will be changed to VF-0B. We'll just have to wait and see :D

A two-seater VF-0A doesn't necessarily equate to a VF-0B, since you yourself pointed out that the 0A and 0B/D have different heads.

Unless the two-seater VF-0A actually had the 0B/D head in the first place, making it the VF-0B.

A two-seater VF-0A doesn't necessarily equate to a VF-0B, since you yourself pointed out that the 0A and 0B/D have different heads.

Unless the two-seater VF-0A actually had the 0B/D head in the first place, making it the VF-0B.

Yeah, that's basically what I mean. I know from my old contacts at Yamato that Kawamori is constantly refining the Macross Zero mecha designs even as the anime is ongoing, which is evident by 3 different and destinct versions of VF-0 lineart published in various hobby mags from 2002 to 2004, each with distinct differences and changes in wing, nose and cockpit shape (and other areas as well), eg. first lineart didn't have a tail hook and had a very different wing shape. Also, the official specs both in Japanese and on the Compendium have been modified at least once that I know of since the anime started.

So basically, I think that in the begining, Kawamori decided to call both the 2-seat and single-seat standard wing, single head-laser version 'VF-0A', but now he has decided to rename the 2-seat version as VF-0B. That's my theory.

Graham

IIRC, the VF-22S was the limited kit, not the VF-19A.

Graham

No disrespect to the guys at MAHQ, but their Macross section does feature a number of errors or omissions, so It's generally better to use the Compendium (which is official) and the official Big West & Bandai Visual sites for accurate mecha info.

While it's true that even the Macross Compendium yet doesn't list the VF-0B, I believe that soon the listing for 2-seat VF-0A will be changed to VF-0B. We'll just have to wait and see  :D

The gallery section on the Big West Macross Zero site clearly shows the tan color VF-0 as being the VF-0A, not a VF-0S. As there were only an estimated 4 units of commander type VF-0S manufactured, it's unlikely that the tan color cannon fodder versions being shot down in episodes 1 & 2 were VF-0S. Also, the compendium list the bulk of the VF-0 manufactured as being VF-0A (30 units made).

Regarding Macross Compendium: I'm not a hardcore Macross fan. My first series is Zero, and while I find the episode summaries I've read interesting, I'm in it for the planes, the VF-0D and the VF-22S in particular. Could you link me to the Compendium?

As for the VF-0A... the only closeups I'm aware of (6:54 into episode 2) show it being colored fully gray, not tan. So, I'm officially confused here.

Edited by Terpfen

So basically, I think that in the begining, Kawamori decided to call both the 2-seat and single-seat standard wing, single head-laser version 'VF-0A', but now he has decided to rename the 2-seat version as VF-0B. That's my theory.

Did Kawamori decide on the VF-0D head for the two-seater VF-0A earlier on as well, or is that one of those things that he changed half way, or is that one of those things where we simply don't have any information?

While we're on the subject... Was there ever a two-seater VF-1 other than the VF-1D, which I assume is a trainer version, say, VF-1B?

Regarding Macross Compendium: I'm not a hardcore Macross fan. My first series is Zero, and while I find the episode summaries I've read interesting, I'm in it for the planes, the VF-0D and the VF-22S in particular. Could you link me to the Compendium?

As for the VF-0A... the only closeups I'm aware of (6:54 into episode 2) show it being colored fully gray, not tan. So, I'm officially confused here.

Macross Compendium, the only English language source of Macross information officially sanctioned by Big West. It's a great site, basically llike an encyclopedia for macross fans. the only bad thing about it is the lack of pictures (it is mostly text based).

I'm at work now so can't check, but IIRC there are lots of shots of the tan VF-0A in both episode # 1 and 2.

Only the standard version of the delta wing VF-0D is grey.

Graham

Macross Compendium, the only English language source of Macross information officially sanctioned by Big West. It's a great site, basically llike an encyclopedia for macross fans. the only bad thing about it is the lack of pictures (it is mostly text based).

I'm at work now so can't check, but IIRC there are lots of shots of the tan VF-0A in both episode # 1 and 2.

Only the standard version of the delta wing VF-0D is grey.

Graham

Thanks for the link. You're right... it is rather low on pictures. Do they plan on adding some? I'd love to see properly-colored lineart for the VF-22S (as opposed to the stuff MAHQ has up).

As for the VF-0A... I took a screenshot of the instance I keep referring to.

post-3-1090437844_thumb.jpg

in some background of EP1 scenes(in Asuka's garage), we can find some 2 seated canopy, can't figure out if that's B or D, why don't think it's a B?

What kind of wings did it have?

I can't tell what kind of wings from that scene, but that scene was printed on the side of Hasegawa 1/72 VF-0B kit's box, so let's just sit back and enjoy~ :p

Hong Kong's Hasegawa agent is useless when it comes to Macross. It took two months after the release of the SV-51 for any kits to make it to HK.

Graham

Hong Kong's Hasegawa agent is useless when it comes to Macross. It took two months after the release of the SV-51 for any kits to make it to HK.

Graham

Hong Kong's Hasegawa wholesaler does not actively import Macross kits, and if they do, its because it was slipped into an order.

All of the Macross Zero kits came from grey market importers so far... Good think I snapped up the re-issue VF-1 Super/Strike set and VF-0Bs as soon as I saw them. I'm glad there were a few model shops that did import these kits on their own.

Edited by Neova

Also, the official specs both in Japanese and on the Compendium have been modified at least once that I know of since the anime started.

The Compendium also doesn't mention SV-52 anymore.

I think it would have taken too much modelling another 3D mecha, so he would go for minor changes on existing models ("that one has the reaction engines...").

FV