URGENT QUESTION

nyacumo28

finally my tools, remember i love macross, i have only weekends to work on this, now i`ll put all i`ve learned on this valk on a new bootleg one, the mechanical view of the vf compare to the original one looks beautifull to me, just compare it to the original one, peopel this project took many many hours, don`t judge the surface of the toy look at the mechanical modification.

Regards.

Nicolas

I have to say, this is one of the most impressive customization/refurbishings I have ever seen here. You have put an absolutely magnificent amoutn of work into that thing. Keep up the good work, I can see a ton of changes and I can't wait to see the finished product.

Awesome job man!

Hey Cristian!!!!! Thanks alot for your words! yeah mechanically i´m very proud, this weekend i´ll finish up the arms!!! Someone told me many posts away on this thread "where there´s will, there´s a way"!!!!!

The hardest part wasn´t the making of the all thing but to figure out the design to make it work, i´m really happy with the result. After the arms i´ll start to add locks for the legs and the rest of the parts, and finally i´ll sand everything up one more time and i´ll paint it.

Next project will be apply all this to a new bootleg.

Regards and thanks for replying.

Nico

looking nice. the close ups behind the chestplate remined me of the aliens movie. "it looks like some kind of secreted resin but from from what?"

Nice that robin william is a macross fan, we can always tell thats him with his signature hairy arms ;)

ok... so you are modifying a bootleg valk. Which bootleg valk did it start out as?bootleg toy or model kit? what scale is it... doesn't look 1/55, or do you just have enormous hands? Look's kinda like a 1/100 scale one looking at the leg landing gear. Did you take a pic before you did anything to it, or perhaps have the package it came in? Different toys have different nuances, even amoung the traditional taka molds.

So instead of a removable heat shield, the heat shield will slide out from the chest plate when desired? Very cool idea. I might have to do that to one of mine more abused walking dead.

there are a number of folk here who will buy on somebody elses behalf and ship to them, but deffinately check the straight shooters list in the for sale section before sending any loot. I personally have no love for customs [as in customs officials and not toy/modle modifications] in theory. Seeing as I've never had a bad experience with them I can't really complain, especially when considering the number of things I shouldn't have had on me while crossing international borders. Tarrifs are one thing... life in prison something else entirely. Dealing with "smaller non-possible-threat" type items as "gift" is the standard way to go. You can't ignore the system but you can definately abuse it. Putting on a box for overseas in the customs decleration form "highly collectible ultra rare macross vf-1s 1/55 scale, very fragile" valued at $50 and sent as a gift is much different than "used toy robot thingy, valued at $4" And as for whomever said remove the pricing from the boxes... You don't remove, you cover it with the $2.99 sticker you pulled off a milk jug ;) . The average customs worker can't tell a go-bot from a happy meal toy, granted there wasn't much difference, much less know value off the top of their head. You can also fudge invoices to show how much was paid. Just like a bill-of-sale when buying a car, the seller can right down whatever they feel like, and paying tax on a car that you bought for $400 is much better than on one you paid 10k for, especially if the seller just wrote out two bills of sale. This "fudging of worth" only screws you when shipping insured items and something happens. You really have no problems when doing customs as the average bag of diss-assemble valk parts looks as uncomprehensible as sanskrit to most

And don't let people get you upset by harassing the paint scheme. Many a engineered custom has gone through such phases. I know one or two of my customs went through some really horrible phases... in fact a few are stuck there. I myself take pride more on the engineering aspect than the cosmetic. Just like a car... get it working the way you like it and having it hold up is more important than how it looks during the process. Once you have it working right is when you worry about cosmetic details. Just like a car... Kinda silly to paint a car that doesn't run... get it running and then pay somebody to paint it nice.

my thing doing customs is that I want my stuff to hold up as well, if not better than the original, before I worry about paint. Take this horrible creation...

It's an older pic as it's so close to being done now. I think I only need to paint one shoulder ... once I find and unpact it from the move. But anyways... this was based of a 1/55 jetfire. All the green lines point to parts where I added moving parts and/or articulation. What I'm really proud of is the fact that you can pick the thing up by any of the parts I added and they don't break. Thats what engineering is all about. Function over form... IE. it doesn't matter how pretty it is if it don't work like it should.

and now closer to done... still an old pic.

had to do much more time thinking about how to make it fully transformable with the new head than it took me to do once I figured it out.

seriously... you have some really damn good ideas. Work out the mechanics first. All it takes is one screw head a little raised to frag a paint job.

keep up with the posting in step by step so others may learn from your mistakes and your insight

Hey, finally! i completly agree with you, Mechanics over Cosmetic, eventually you can make it look nice, but the engineering comes first, in the process usually this projects look horrible but in the end if you finish your project they look nice, they are steps, that is the order the process has. Saddly some people less involved with the mechanic aspec just care about the cosmetic aspect, i know that is the final stage of my project. ;)

Thanks for the advice on the customs tariff issue, i´ll chek on the list you mention.

Beside the sliding heat shield if you check the original toy i also modified all the leg system, i add a yamato like bar for them to place in both figther an battroid, and i modify the knee to allow a knee cap (i dont know if this is the way to name it, is the cover of the knee junction) and a rotation system too wich didn´t come on the original toy. The nose cone was modified too, i´ve removed the black cockpit cover and tried to cast the inside of the cockpit wich didn´t came on the original toy either. Notice the legs I apologize for my english, some times i want to tell many things but i realize i´m not clear enough.

Regards and thanks.

The pic...

post-3-1109949685_thumb.jpg