F-14 into a VF-1

itzalex99

in a couple of years, the Grumman F-14 will be decomissioned as a fighter in the US Navy, would there be a way to convert an F-14 into a VF-1 (or 0) i know that it wouldnt be "efficent" but id like to see the F-14 have new life. its better than the F/A-18 that can only take on 2 enemies at once while the F-14 can take on 6 targets at one time.

in a couple of years, the Grumman F-14 will be decomissioned as a fighter in the US Navy, would there be a way to convert an F-14 into a VF-1 (or 0) i know that it wouldnt be "efficent" but id like to see the F-14 have new life. its better than the F/A-18 that can only take on 2 enemies at once while the F-14 can take on 6 targets at one time.

aside from the sweeping wings, the f-14 and the VF-1 are very different fighters, biggest difference is the size, the F-14 is a huge 2 person fighter, the vf-1 is a small 1 person fighter, there are many other differences that make the F-14 and VF-1 notihng alike aside form the similarity of their wings, so no, couldnt happen

Besides... the first time a "battroid" F-14 took a step or accidentally bumped into a wall, the thing would be completely unflyable (afterburner nozzles would collapse and the fuselage would bend and dent). SWAG energy-conversion armor is what gives the body of the VF series the ability to take hit after hit and still retain it's shape. It's completely mythical and as near as I can tell, impossible to theorize.

NERV is right. The VF-1 is closer in size to a F/A-18, the F-14 is nearly half again as long.

I'm sorry to say that such a thing is still pretty far off. You could probably build a jet that looks very much like a VF-1 Valkyrie... and it would probably fly, but it would have none of the characteristics we associate with that legendary aircraft. Likewise, I suppose it is "possible" to build a battroid that looks like a VF-1, but it would be unable to transform, probably be a lot slower, and have nowhere NEAR the durability.

I'm sure a VF-1 frame could be built to be transformable, but it would be a worthless piece of metal. The conversion equipment would take up too much space, and We don't have jet engines that can separate into as many pieces as the Vf-1's do (different leg segments move independently of the others). In terms of feasibility it just isn't a good idea (yet). Also, given the complaints ground crews had working on F-14s, I imagine working on a VF-1 would be a damn greek tragedy.

Ahh, we can dream though. :(

Edited by Skull Leader

BTW VF-1 is actually smaller..more like F-16 and X-31 size. And no it cant be converted to a valkyrie. What is the point? VF-1 in macross has similar capabilities to thje F-14.

the closest thing you get is the VF-0 which has turbofan engines, and is the same size as the tomcat.

plus the military dont need variable fighters. if we did we would have developed tghem back in the cold war.

• 2 weeks later...

I mean seriously folks, 'though VF-1 being one of my most favourite airplanes (definitive No. 1 Veritech), it must be said that while the reason for the existance of an air/space-craft that can transform itself into a human replicating machine worked quite well in the Robotech/Macross storyline, it just wouldn't have a sound need for existance in a world not endagered by 50 foot aliens.....

to bad though :p

• 2 months later...