World Smallest Transformers/ Car Talk

Yet another of my completely unexpected problems hit me yesterday. I was driving, and suddenly, it felt like a really rough road. So I pull over, and the driver's front is flat. Keep in mind that this is a nearly brand new Azenis Sport, about three months old, and about 3k miles on it. So my dad arrieves with my spare, jack, etc, we pull the wheel, an dthe tire has had a catastrophic failure on the inside edge. The sidewall and the thread are just totally seperated all the way around the tire. Totally defective.

So, I'm about to leave for Autobacs.

Yet another of my completely unexpected problems hit me yesterday. I was driving, and suddenly, it felt like a really rough road. So I pull over, and the driver's front is flat. Keep in mind that this is a nearly brand new Azenis Sport, about three months old, and about 3k miles on it. So my dad arrieves with my spare, jack, etc, we pull the wheel, an dthe tire has had a catastrophic failure on the inside edge. The sidewall and the thread are just totally seperated all the way around the tire. Totally defective.

So, I'm about to leave for Autobacs.

Do you live in Japan or are you talking about the Autobacs in LA?

(It's Super Autobacs in LA)

Well, turns out that my steelie was messed up, and that's what caused my tire failure.

So, my trip to Autobacs was better than I thought! I left the store with:

Razo 300g Shift Knob

Levoc stainless racing pedals

Sparco Clubman 4pt Harness (red)

Sparco harness pads (black)

And, the cool stuff is on the way: (Autobacs had to order it, should be able to pick up by wednesday or thursday)

5Zigen FN01R-C 17" Hyperblack

Sparco Speed bucket seat, red w/ black trim

Sparco mount and rails.

Cool, huh?

BTW, I'd already left at the time of the post, but it's not a big deal anyway, as I just threw the tire in the trunk of my dad's 328 and we went down in it. If you want, though, maybe we can meet up at Autobacs when I get my new stuff put on.

Edited by Commander McBride

(It's Super Autobacs in LA)

Well, turns out that my steelie was messed up, and that's what caused my tire failure.

So, my trip to Autobacs was better than I thought! I left the store with:

Razo 300g Shift Knob

Levoc stainless racing pedals

Sparco Clubman 4pt Harness (red)

Sparco harness pads (black)

And, the cool stuff is on the way: (Autobacs had to order it, should be able to pick up by wednesday or thursday)

5Zigen FN01R-C 17" Hyperblack

Sparco Speed bucket seat, red w/ black trim

Sparco mount and rails.

Cool, huh?

BTW, I'd already left at the time of the post, but it's not a big deal anyway, as I just threw the tire in the trunk of my dad's 328 and we went down in it. If you want, though, maybe we can meet up at Autobacs when I get my new stuff put on.

wait your going to pay them to put that stuff in? why? save yourself the money and do it yourself

post-26-1087274676_thumb.jpg

I just need them to mount and balance the tire. But I might as well have them put everything on while I'm there, 'cause I'm not gonna be able to fit 4 17"s w/tires and a racing bucket in my car. At least the 15s will fit in the trunk and I can recline the drivers seat and stick it in the back. If I don't have them put the stuff on, I'll have to bring two cars down. Plus, I'm not sure how to install the harness, so I might as well have them do it. ( I think it has to attach to the back seat)

It's not that much. I think the installation is already paid for anyway. So no point not having them do it.

Edit- on second thought, I might actually put the seat in in Autobacs's lot. I wouldn't mind a bit of backup, as I'm a little unclear on what's necessary to do it. (I.E. if there's any drilling necessary, and what it takes to put the harness on)

It's not that much. I think the installation is already paid for anyway. So no point not having them do it.

Edit- on second thought, I might actually put the seat in in Autobacs's lot. I wouldn't mind a bit of backup, as I'm a little unclear on what's necessary to do it. (I.E. if there's any drilling necessary, and what it takes to put the harness on)

Its very straight forward. as long as you have everything for your car. ie base mount, sliders and bolts for the seats. I have never heard of the the bolts coming with the stuff you need. For instance my sparco seat didnt come with the bolts. I had to go to Homdepot to find them. You will use the stock floor bolts to mount the base. and sometimes (like my recaro slider) you get bolts to mount that to the seat. But you do not get the bolts to mount it to the base. Also if your sparco requires side brackets (mine is bolted form under neath but soem are bolted from the side, then you need those bolts too.

in terms of the harness it depends on the base. My new sparco base for my passenger has a hole to bolt the lap belt or stock seat buckle. The shoulder straps (if you have the appropriate hardware) bolts into the rear seats. the stock rear seatbelts are held in with bolts. you need to temporarily remove your back seats to access these bolts. then you replace the bolts with sparco bolts (those bolts they do give you) or you can get the eye bolts and clips that the straps strap into kinda like a carabiner.

it seems complex but really it isnt. If you dont have everything already I dont suggest doing the seat and belts in the parking lot. have them do it. or take the stuff home or to a friends place and do it. that way if you come across a problem then your not stranded in a parkign lot.

More cool news!!!!

Finally, the tyrany of the Automatic transmission will be gone in a few days! I'm getting my 5spd tranny swapped into the S14 later this week!!!!

I hate automatic transmissions....

I *ucked one up really bad in one of my cars once. Some people like to shift between D1 and D2 or whatever. I took that one step further in one of my cars. 1976 Honda Civic comes with a Hondamatic transmission, which means you need to be in D1 from a dead stop, and shift into D2, there's no clutch so essentially, it's automatic. I was approaching a corner, speed 60km/hr, and decided it was a little quick so I was going to toss it in neutral, blip the throttle, and drop it from D2 to D1. I even got pretty good with the heel and toe in this car. Well, this one day, I depressed the button on the shifter and went a little beyond neutral. At 60km/hr, the car went into reverse and the car came to a grinding halt. Miraculously, I was able to start the car after that and it was still driveable....with some aweful noises coming from the tranny. A few weeks later, I did the same thing again (I really abused this car), but this time, something else broke. I inched it into a parking stall and went to class like nothing happened. By the time I came back, the car was swimming in a pool of transmission oil. Anyway, I got rid of the transmission in that car, along with the motor and swapped it for a 2001 Acura EL motor with a 5 speed manual transmission. Horsepower increase from 57hp to 126hp....can't wait to get it back on the road.

post-26-1087360639_thumb.jpg

I imagine that thing'll pull pretty hard with that much additional HP, it must weigh next to nothing, huh?

I'm only pushing 155 (crank HP) out of my S14, hopefully the addition of an intake and exhaust will improve that figure 15 or 20 HP.

On the seat subject, I think I will just have SA do it, as I really don't have any way to get the bucket home in my S14. I just am getting really anxious waiting for the call telling me my stuff is in! =D

By the way, Solscud, which sparco do you have? I personally couldn't budget anythign higher than the Speed at the moment, but it'll be worlds better than my stock seats, and that's what matters to me. Someday, I'll get a Bride Zeta and swap the Sparco ovet the the navigator's seat.

Oh, yeah, picked up one other little item while I was in the area...

The pic doesn't make it look particularly impressive, I realize. But note the fact that the boot over there is a size 10, and maybe you'll realize how sweet this exhaust is. We're talking almost 3 inch piping on this baby! This is an RS*R EXMAG, performs like a full racing exhaust, looks stock, and is only about as loud as a stock M3!

post-26-1087781393_thumb.jpg

well, finally found some pix of my baby boo ride. :p Took pix of her back in the day. She still looks the same. No modifications. She beautiful the way she is. :p:D:lol: Maybe a little accessory here and there, but that's about it. :rolleyes:

post-26-1087787724_thumb.jpg

BTW, I like what you've done with your car Vostok!

That's a nice looking front spoiler - much better than all the over-the-top STi Ver* & Greddy crap that everyone's riceing out their Subarus with nowadays. Man, I remember back in the day (before WRX's), when putting any sort of body kit onto an Impreza was instant grounds for being called a ricer. But I digress...

Heh, like the 2.5 RS? That was factory rice in all it's non-functional hood scoop glory.

Which 2.5 had the non-functional scoop? I didn't know that Subaru had done something so ricey....

One thing I forgot to mention, unfortunately, is that my tranny may have to wait until after AX. There's a meet next weekend, and I need a clutch before I can do the swap, so I don't think I'll have time to have the car ready.

Which 2.5 had the non-functional scoop? I didn't know that Subaru had done something so ricey....

The older (GC8?) 2.5's had all sorts of dumb scoops and stuff and all it had was an N/A 2.5 turd motor. It looked good, but performance wise it didn't back up the bad-ass exterior.

Since everyone else is posting pictures of their car, here's a few of mine at an SFR auto-x back in February.

scca_feb22_1026.jpg

scca_feb22_1027.jpg

Yeah... the GC8's really sucked :rolleyes: Sure.

Anyway, just got back from a TSD rally in our Turbo Legacy (1991). Finished 1st SOP (Seat of Pants, one level above Novice, no computers allowed just stopwatch and paper) and it was only our 4th rally over all.

Next month I'm hitting up the Silver State Classic in my WRX. 124mph legally!

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Nice FC. Are those the stock wheels, sprayed black? My friend was thinking of doing that on his FC. (Which he no longer has, but he's gonna do it on his MKIII Supra.)

Woah, Silver State Classic? Isn't there some kinda huge entrance fee for that thing? If not, maybe I'll go.... I think my S14 would be a lot of fun at top speed...

Yeah... the GC8's really sucked :rolleyes: Sure.

Never said they sucked. But they were definately not "fast," at least not in a straight line. Heavy car + low HP motor = not very fast. Especially since when you have scoops liek that it general implies a turbo, and generall turbo cars are pretty quick.

Suffered a similar problem the 240sx's did. Good chassis and suspension, but the stock motor was junk stock. Maybe not junk, but compared to what we could have got... Just disapointing.

Hey, don't underestimate the KA24. It's not as powerful as the SR20DET, but it's got plenty of torque, and is plenty of a match for the J's and Q's models. And slap on a turbo (which I'm planning to do), and you've got a real Silvia killer.

I know turbo charged they're potent, but stock it's a pretty average motor. That said, from what I've heard turbocharging the KA24 is a more logical choice nowadays given the rising costs of SR20DETs.

Did the J and Q models in Japan not come with the SR20DET?

Never said they sucked. But they were definately not "fast," at least not in a straight line. Heavy car + low HP motor = not very fast. Especially since when you have scoops liek that it general implies a turbo, and generall turbo cars are pretty quick.

Suffered a similar problem the 240sx's did. Good chassis and suspension, but the stock motor was junk stock. Maybe not junk, but compared to what we could have got... Just disapointing.

Clearly you don't have much experience with GCs then. The EJ25 ain't nothing to laugh at. At autocross even practically stock they are able to tromp a WRX with a few suspension mods.

Sure, it's not as good as what we could have gotten, but the GCs/GMs aren't anything to take lightly.

Vostok 7

Clearly you don't have much experience with GCs then. The EJ25 ain't nothing to laugh at. At autocross even practically stock they are able to tromp a WRX with a few suspension mods.

Sure, it's not as good as what we could have gotten, but the GCs/GMs aren't anything to take lightly.

Vostok, I was talking raw power not handling. Obviously in auto-x a lot more comes into play than just power output. I wasn't saying they were bad cars, just that for their performance and power output their appearence was... overdone.

Vostok, I was talking raw power not handling. Obviously in auto-x a lot more comes into play than just power output. I wasn't saying they were bad cars, just that for their performance and power output their appearence was... overdone.

Wouldn't be hard to adjust the air cleaner position and make that scoop functional ;)

I hear ya though. I've seen alot worse though :)

Vostok 7

Does anyone here know a place in Orange County that does installation service for Car stero/nav units and car alarms? One with good a good rep and knows what they are doing, but doesn't charge an arm and a leg. The only place I know is Auto Bac and they are expensive, unless you guys think their service is worth it.

Note: I already have the units, I just need to someone to install it @_@;;;

Thanks in advance

Well, since this is the resident car-related thread:

During my stay in the Philippines, I noticed a few cars I've never seen before.

Toyota Vios. IMO, this subcompact should've hit the U.S. instead of the fugly Echo. Funny thing is that Britney Spears is on the car's TV commercials.

Ford Lynx. Bigger than the Focus. Not as hip-looking, though.

Ford Everest. Instead of the Explorer, the Philippines has this SUV with rather bland styling.

Honda City. Here's another subcompact that looks good.