Dedicated to Keith...and all other M7 fans

Whew, that 11 page thread is sure long!

To be honest, my initial impression of Macross 7 was that of absolute abhorrence. I hated the tootie-fruity colors of the mecha, the super-robo pose after "Scrander" sequence, boob-lipstick-high heel of Mylene's mecha, super dimensional monsters from Godzilla-Digimon mixing...blah blah blah

I was at least comparable to AgentOne in terms of animosity towards M7, IF not more so...

HOWEVER!

After reading most of Keith's explanations (and how he progressed from an angry fan defending M7 to a patient and convicing advocate) and, to a lesser extent, having watched Macross Zero, I've become much less critical of Macross 7.

Why? Because I begin to see that there actually is a solid storyline and ideological plot. One thought crossed my mind, just out of nowhere. If Macross 7, having the exact same script, was to be directed by TIM BURTON instead of JOE SCHUMAKER (sp?), wouldn't it have been much better accepted?

The reason I'm saying this is Macross Zero. I found the Protoculture Birdman, Sara's mysterious power, and the whole mystical ambience setting much easier to swallow in Zero. Granted, it had a more serious and military tone, which I prefer. But what Zero is trying to use as a major plot scheme, the Birdman, isn't all that different from the Monsters in M7.

I'd still bash the over-emphasized pedophilic kawaii-ness of Mylene, cliche mascot Gubaba, overly anthromorphized mecha and all other myriads of flaws M7 haters have so gloriously mentioned. But in the end, M7 also carries the mission of attracting younger viewers to create a new generation of Macross fans.

So, I've arrived at this conclusion. Macross 7 is a solid show, that fell victim to a failed amalgam of serious and fruity, old and new, and poor execution. However, I've stopped condemning it because as a not-enough-budget TV show carrying expectations of many contradicting types, it did OK.

That said, I still feel that Milia should look prettier, Max should be less hippie, Rex should appear more, Gamlin should be more handsome, and everyone needs replacements for their detaching dentures. (Why those animators couldn't draw teeth right?!)

I guess there's just no pleasing me...but that's because I LOVE Macross!!! And I hope M7 is better than it is.

Now next topic...Moby...er, the galactic whales...cough cough

Edited by John Focker

Actually it would have been much better if Macross 7 had been done the way it was in Kawamori's original script before merchandise interfere...

That said, I still feel that Milia should look prettier, Max should be less hippie, Rex should appear more

Oh gawd! If they had shown more of Rex and the biker gang (I'm a huge BGC fan :) ), I wouldn't have mind all the fruitiness. M7 would have been my #1! ;)

Actually it would have been much better if Macross 7 had been done the way it was in Kawamori's original script before merchandise interfere...

Kawamori's original script?! What was it like? I'd love to see the alternate version of M7!!! Could anyone shed some light on this?

I read the review of M7 from an anime club back in 97 before actually watching the serie, it seems Kawamori's original idea was completely different

as soon as I get into vacations I'll work on translating the part that is refered to the original idea, the webpage is in spanish and is very respected in my country

http://www.sugoi.com.pe

I read the review of M7 from an anime club back in 97 before actually watching the serie, it seems Kawamori's original idea was completely different

as soon as I get into vacations I'll work on translating the part that is refered to the original idea, the webpage is in spanish and is very respected in my country

http://www.sugoi.com.pe

Here is a couple of lines of the conclusion of their review on Macross 7

"Macross 7 genera en el espectador o una profunda adicción o un rechazo total. En lo que respecta al público japonés, generó una gran acogida en la nueva hinchada de fanáticos del anime, a costa del rechazo de los viejos fans de la serie original, aunque cumpliendo con éxito el objetivo para el cual fue diseñada."

Pretty much translated into:

Macross 7 will generate in the spectator either a profound addiction or a total rejection. In respect of the Japanese public, it generated a great welcome to a new gender of anime fans; with the cost of the rejection of the old fans of the original series, even so succeeding with the objective the series was designed.

Taken from Club Sugoi

Macross 7 will generate in the spectator either a profound addiction or a total rejection. In respect of the Japanese public, it generated a great welcome to a new gender of anime fans; with the cost of the rejection of the old fans of the original series, even so succeeding with the objective the series was designed.

Taken from Club Sugoi

That pretty much sums it up, folks.

I think some people are "in the middle" on M7, but the majority of folks here either love it or hate it.

I hate Macross 7 but I am really loving Macross Zero, in spite of the more "out there" elements of the story. Do you know why? Macross Zero handles it's "mystical" elements with infinitely more maturity than Macross 7 did. Also, it seems to be pushing the mysticism back towards the realm of Sci Fi.