Yamato Movie Box Set

Keith

Yamato-BOX.jpgJust got my Yamato box today. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I did take a look at all the disc's.

There are actually some pretty nice extra's included. Lots of artwork (promotional, design, etc) for just about every film. Translated program books for each film, and even extra scenes. So much effort was put into the extra's infact that it really makes me wonder why they half assed the video so much. The box itself is a lot nicer than I initially thought it would be from the picture. It's a very sturdy box, all the white on it is nice & shiny, and the red has that foil stamped look. The top has a picture of the bridge along with Kodai getting into his Cosmo Zero, and the back has a bit of information & a couple of pictures from the movies. All in all, I'm much more impressed than I thought I would be with the art.

The video itself is definately VHS dumped. The worst of it is shown in the subtitles which look a bit soft on all of the films, though the middle two (Be forever Yamato & New Voyage) show the worst of the video. All in all, nothing worse than the softness & grain of the Macross Plus Movie Edition disc. New Voyage even still has the part where it goes from full frame to widescreen.

A quick question for anyone who may know. What Aspect ratio was Arrividerci shot in? ? Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look slightly cropped into fullframe.

All in all, while it could have been a hell of a lot better, the Video is passable, especially considering it's the only way to get these films subtitled. The audio is solid through out though, no real complaints with what I checked, for the most partl the audio was better than the video if anything.

Getting back to the extra's though, I think it's The New Voyage that has scenes that weren't included in the original release, and or just weren't included as extra's. The First movie has the alternate TV edit (or re-TV edit if you will) Iscandar scene included as an extra. And Final Yamato has both versiosn of the after credit epilogue/song scene as extra's (Kodai & Yuki coitus & non-coitus versions) instead of having them play right after the credits (acceptable since they are both still there). There's also a 24 page booklet (haven't read it yet, so not exactly sure what's there) that's only included with the box set. Combined with the lower online price (under $100 for all 5 movies, as opposed to almost $30 each individually at online shops), it seals the deal in making this the preferable way to get the DVD's. All films with theatrical releases also had the theatrical trailers included.

While I am dissapointed about the video quality, it's still better than VHS, and it's not like I didn't know walking into it what I was getting. I'd definately say it's a worthy purchase for any Matsumoto fan, and is a great companion to the HK TV series sets (I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for the crapass video & edits of the starblazers tv sets). Any way you cut it, it's an infinately cheaper alternative to buying the R2's, and the extra's warrent the upgrade from VHS for whoever paid out the ass to pick those up (my Final Yamato tape cost almost a 3rd of the whole box set...what am I saying, it did cost me a 3rd damnit!).

Edited by Keith

I'll pick it up during a slow buying month.

I plan on getting this boxset soon.

Do any of you MW'ers have the HK boxset of all three Yamato TV seasons?

Are they worth the $25+ (for 12 discs)?

How're the subs? :ph34r:

so can you tell me; how many versions of the final enemy fight were there in Arrivadercci Yamato? I remember like three or something. The fracking ship wouldn't die!

Check back tomorrow, I'm watching it later.

I want to get this but the VHS dump to DVD has me wondering ..are there any bootlegs of the R2 discs around and whats the "quality" if there are?

Nope, and there most likely won't be. Considering that we've been waiting over a year for more Galaxy Express TV (stopped at episode 36), and 3 months for the Harlock TV set (what's taking them so damned long!), the chance of an R2 rip Yamato movie set isn't looking very good considering the disc's have been out for a while.

I plan on getting this boxset soon.

Do any of you MW'ers have the HK boxset of all three Yamato TV seasons?

Are they worth the $25+ (for 12 discs)?

How're the subs? 

The HK TV sets are great. Video quality is ripped from the R2 DVD sets, and the subtitles are very good (though not perfect). For the most part the dialogue is right on, though the names do tend to be slightly off. Usually they're at least phonetically correct though, far abve the usual HK standard. Though I think there are only 9 disc's (3 per series). Highly reccomended, especially since Nishizaki cut all of the fanservice when he did the first movie (he truly is nuts!).

I've now watched through The New Voyage (Be Forever Yamato is up next). So far the bad news:

-Arrivederci has a nasty video encode error about 8:50 into the film. A bit of break-up that last for a second or 2, nothing player stopping, just an annoyance. I've checked around, and it seems to be a problem with all of the Arrivederci disc's, not just an individual error.

-New Voyage has a source material error, what looks like what happens when your tracking goes off & the picture flips for a second. I forget the timestamp, but it's in the scene where Kodai leads the new Cosmo Tigers out on a training mission in an asteroid belt.

Both problems are annoying, both problems are being ignored by Voyager, and as such, it's not likely we'll ever have a fix for them (unless someone eventually snags away the Yamato license...).

All things considered, I'd still say it's worth the purchase, though some may want to hold out for an online discount or sale. One thing I can't help but notice during the viewing of these films, is that Nishizaki is a freakin' loon. Arrivederci Yamato is vastly inferior to Yamato 2 (Matsumoto's version). I can't wait to see what happens when Great Galaxy & Yamato Rebirth come out. Hopefully Nishizaki will finally acknowledge that the heart of Yamato came from Matsumoto.

I'm still confused as to why Matsumoto couldn't use the original design for GREAT YAMATO. What's the deal between Matsumoto and Nishizaki?

Why does my beloved Yamato look like this?

post-26-1083307035_thumb.jpg

The deal is after Nishizaki got out of jail, he claimed exclusive ownership to Yamato. After a long drawn out court battle, he conceded (realizing Matsumoto wouldn't give up the fight), and agreed to share ownership. Both are now working on independent sequels. From the looks of it Nishizaki is claiming rights over the original scenario continuity, while Matsumoto gets characters & most design aspects.

What that leaves us with is Nishizaki's Yamato Rebirth, which will feature a new story in the original continuity, but new character designs. & Matsumoto's Great Galaxy Yamato, a new retelling of the Iscandar story, but new character names, & an altered Yamato (as you've shown). Sure it looks like the Yamato crashed into the Arcadia & Enterprise, but it's still livable for a new Matsumoto Yamato story.

BTW, has anyone ever released Yamato 2520 on DVD? I've seen Odin, but not how Nishizaki's full Yamato outing by himself went.

I'm still confused as to why Matsumoto couldn't use the original design for GREAT YAMATO. What's the deal between Matsumoto and Nishizaki?

Why does my beloved Yamato look like this?

It isnt a bad designt if they dropped the wings and inserted disk. Other than that, I like the it when they added an extra set of of main cannons.

I think there are only 9 disc's (3 per series). Highly reccomended, especially since Nishizaki cut all of the fanservice when he did the first movie (he truly is nuts!).

That's weird. Most of the ones I'm seeing on E-Bay are 12 disc sets (for all three seasons). Huh?

Is this the one you're taking about?

post-26-1083387267_thumb.jpg

Nice, I may have to pick the box set up, as soon as get around to finishing the TV series that is. Man, I've had the HK boots for a year now and haven't gotten anywhere with the series. Don't get me wrong, I love what I've seen so far from the series.