Washing your Mac toy before customising

Valk009

I read a lot on the MW forum on how to customise your toy and always come accross washing your toy first before applying any paints.

I get the idea behind washing the toy in detergent to get rid of any oily residue but one question though :huh:

There are always some metal parts, such as screws, landing gear (on the 1/48) etc. Will they rust?

I mean the toy manufactures are not using top noch expensive metals like titanium or stainless steel but rather cheap and cheeful steel!

Thanks Neova :D

So, I guess you do need to take the valk apart first before washing/soaking it to prevent rust.

My plan was to do little weathering and npt a full blown custom job :) Never thought to be that complicated, I thought a quick dip into the bubble bath would have completed my mission praying for no rust <_<

depending on what it is that your working on, odds are you can get away with air drying it for a few days in a warm dry place without dis-assembling it and not have to worry about rust. I've never had a problem with a chunkey monkey. Come to think about it... I've got like a dozen jetfire corpses in all shades of sad and none of them are rusted anywhere as opposed to one matchbox marauder I have which must have been left out in the rain as all it's screws are rusted.

the best bet would be loosen the screws you have easy access to without removing them completely so it can "air out" better without having to remember what screw went where or "where did that friggin part get to" syndrome ;)