Newbie Questions!

capezio11

My first post here so hi everyone.

I decided to start collecting Macross/Robotech toys and I have a few questions. My first priority is scale. I really want the most complete collection I can make within the same scale.

1. What scale do you recommend? 1/48, 1/55, 1/60

2. What manufacturer do you feel has the best quality?

3. Where can I see side by side comparisons of toys by manufacturer and/or scale?

Number three is really important b/c in a comparison shot I saw awhile back some of the toys were just all wrong as far as the nose, the cockpit and location of the front landing gear.

Also, I saw that Toynami is producing the Alpha fighter in 1/55, is there any chance of Yamoto producing a 1/48 Alpha or anyone else?

Thanks!

Also one other thing...

I saw something about "Perfect Transformation" or something like that and I thought they had that problem licked back in the 80s. I had a VF-1 back in the day (it would be worth big bucks now!) and it transformed without removing anything. So if there are any major lines out now that you have to remove things to transform them a heads-up would be appreciated!

Thanks

How many people are typing the answers right now I wonder.

Most complete would probably be the 1/60 scale from Yamato

1. Recommend: 1/48 if you can afford it. 1/60 if your looking for scale completion.

2. Quality: Bandai

3. side by side comparison: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/1...comparisons.htm

4. Macross is not Robotech. Yamato does not make Robotech toys, therefore Yamato will never make an Alpha.

Read these:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=228

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=140

http://protoculture.lebhead.com/

Edited by >EXO<

yamato 1/48 is superb, indeed expensive but worth the price. it's trend for macross fans outside now. the transforming is great.

Qns: i wonder why yamato produce 1/60 GBP but not 1/48's.

1/60 i never had it b4 but it's felt yuckies when leg are removable during transform. but if u wanna collect whole lots of valkerie, reccomend 1/60 coz most valkerie are that side like macross plus, zero etc valkyries

Qns: can anyone tell me can 1/60 windscreen display like 1/60? or pilot removeble?

Edited by alvaro

Thanks EXO, general information and lots of links is what I need to start with.

I got the Macross/Robotech difference. I grew up on Robotech but when it comes to the toys I see no difference....or should I?

So if Yamato doesn't make Robotech toys does anyone just make Robotech toys?

With the 1/48 does size mean more detail?

Hey Alvaro what is a 1/60 GBP??

Yes, not to say the 1/60's don't have detail; they do. However, the 1/48's are better engineered, more tight (in ANY mode) and overall, they're just solid in almost every aspect.

If a 1/60 is stress, then 1/48 is chronic. :D

With a 1/48, you'll KNOW where your money went.

oh u are robotech fansy. ic im belongs to macross.

saw robotech too i like the motorcycle transform part. cool!

if i'm not wrong u wait for Toynami products, they will be producing more.

scale size, of coz more details parts. can open radar part, hovel etc

GBP is...hmm wonder u've seen hikaru riding a super armour valkerie anot.

it's not cannon or booster superparts.

its now on preorders for 1/60

lately if u watch macross zero part 3 u should be able to see vf-0s wearing it on aircarfh carrier.

No Problem... Welcome to MAcrossWorld :D

I got the Macross/Robotech difference. I grew up on Robotech but when it comes to the toys I see no difference....or should I?

There's a world of difference when it comes to the toy quality IMO. I'll let someone else handle that one, because for me it's been done to death.

Toynami has the Robotech license. Here's some links:

http://www.robotech.com

http://www.toynami.com/

This one is pretty cool because most of these sites offer Macross/Robotech merchandise

http://www.toynami.com/where.html

A big fat YES!

I'm not Alvaro. but allow me...

gbp1J-proto.jpg

pic courtesy of www.valkyrie-exchange.com

Edited by >EXO<

:p Technically there is a difference when it comes to Robotech toys because Robotech is the western thing where they took 3 japanese shows and put them as one. So Japanese toylines will only be specific to one of the three Japanese shows. Macross is the biggest hit of the 3 series. With that said and as Exo pointed out, you will only see the Macross series of Robotech of the toyline being sold. You will not see the Robotech Master nor New Generation toys in Japan because those series were not popular.

Now in the West, mainly US and Europe, there are Robotech toys. The company (*looks to make sure there is an exit*) is called Toynami working under the license of Harmony Gold (Evil ppl I tell ya). Hence you see the Robotech VF Veritech and alpha MPCs being sold.

The 1/48 is bigger and better because of the detail. Yes there is more detail like the Cockpit, airbrakes, landing gear, removeable nose cone to show the radar, moveable flaps, and above all perfect transformation.

The GBP is the named use in Macross Japanese version. It is the armored veritech in Robotech in which Rick flew in his fight with Recon vehicle that the 3 Zentradi soon-to-be spies were piloting when investigating the Miss Macross broadcast.

Just to note: Some ppl in the MW are Macross purists. They believe Robotech is just a crappy adaptation for the Western world. I would have to agree since I grew up on Robotech and only now become Macross purist. Why? Watching the Japanese version was much better. It wasn't annoying like Robotech.

EDIT: Damn EXO for beating me to this post. :lol:

Edited by Godzilla

1/60 i never had it b4 but it's felt yuckies when leg are removable during transform. but if u wanna collect whole lots of valkerie, reccomend 1/60 coz most valkerie are that side like macross plus, zero etc valkyries

Yes I felt the yuckies too. :D Actually I don't mind the removeable legs. I just feel the joints and the fit were kinda weak.

Only the DYRL/SDF line is 1/60. Macross Plus is 1/72 and it lloks like Macorss Zero, so faris going to be 1/100. These companies are determined not to give us one scale for our collections. It's kinda like selling hot dogs in packages of 8 and selling the buns in packages of 10. We're all going to need more of one thing if not the other. :p

Qns: can anyone tell me can 1/60 windscreen display like 1/60? or pilot removeble?

Would you mind rephrasing that?

Would you mind rephrasing that?

I'm aware some valkyries 1/60 dun include pilots. but some do. It's hard for me to explain in detail. so i'm asking does 1/60 perform just like wad 1/48 or toynami 1/55 as the pilot can be taken out & the transparent glass part able to lift halfway?

tks exo

anyway, only thing 1/48 dissapoints me is that all macross toys still dosen't have one which allows the valkyrie plane's head part transform into another small airplane when master body is being destroy during emergency just like what the tv series shown.

Edited by alvaro

ah... every 1/60 after the hikaru Super 1J, IIRC, has a pilot. All of them have no legs but can be taken out. The canopy (clear glass part) for the 1/60 is removeable and does not have a hinge to display it as open.

A removeable fuselage would be cool but would be too difficult to pull off and still maintain the strength of the toy.

well robotech MPC toys have inconcisstent quality..although its widely known the max and later versions ar ethe best MPCs its also commonly known that not all of them are actually good quality...its sporadicv but i even heard of a miriya with no magnets.

THe 1/48 is AWESOME. I feel you can do without the 1/60...it will providde more dissapoint ment later on. It gets loose aroung the hipds and they begin to fall off if you turn him siideways. Also the landing gear get loose too.

1 1/48 may= 2 1/60s but hell id rather have 1 1/48 instead of 10 1/60s.

also please dont believe the paranoid fans who have heart atacks transforming the 1.48...if anything the only thing more durable is a bandai...and YES it is more durable than a MPC. i have 1 of each type i would know and i PLAY with mine a LOT.

ic thanks alot guys for clearing my doubts. 1/48 also got fragile parts too. once sumthing break , say byebye to ur 1/48. so take extra care.

half body pilots :o my dream is a 1j wif gbp. :angry: why must make us collect so much!? can't i just have e single 1 of mine dream? :( awwman. how? wait for 1/48 gbp? stupid of me sell away 1/48. Now i real headage getting which 1 back.

-1j/55 masterpiece sucks (gettin rid of it)

-1j/48 almost reach my dream coz no have emergency escaping jet & no gbp yet.

-1j/60 got gbp soon but .........as you guys said no hinge for canopy n half body pilot & hate the leg removable part.

how, i real paranoid now. pls advise!!!

Thanks everyone this is all helping.

So I guess I don't care about the difference between the toys as far as Macross/Robotech. As far as the comparison between the shows I'll have another thread up in the appropriate spot later I'm sure :rolleyes:

So after a quick review based on your responses I'm thinking the Yamato 1/48 are the best for detail and also the Toynami MPC series at 1/55 seem to be about in the same league, followed by the Yamato 1/60.

However, I've noticed that the Toynami has the front landing gear coming out of the rear edge of the nose and the nose itself looks to round overall, unlike the Yamato that has that characteristic undulation on the ventral side of the nose just at the cockpit and the front gear comes out behind that undulation. Which is accurate? (sorry its been 20 years since I saw the show)

If they exist can anyone direct me to comparison shots of the Yamato and Toynami? I'm trying to make my own but its a pain.

So how abut the Zentraedi and Destroids? I saw somone is making a 1/60 Monster. Who is making what when and in what scales?

Thanks again everyone!

Try here if you want some pictures:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/1...comparisons.htm

As for the Destroids. Yamato said they were doing a 1/60 scale Monster, but that was quite some time ago, and no word about it has come up since.

Hopefully they're just taking their time to make it right. Considering how big this thing would be :blink:

There are so many questions in this thread I can't keep track of all of them. I'm just going to throw out a few points that I don't think have been covered fully.

1. Clarification: all 1/60's have pilot figures starting with the VF-1J Super Hikaru.

2. For pictures of nearly all the options out there, go to http://www.menet.umn.edu/~ngo/frame.html

You can also see some early comparisons if you search for the PDF "magazine" Gunsight One. I think there may be links to it off the MW main page; otherwise, use Google.

3. Destroids. Yes, the 1/60 Monster is still officially on Yamato's "to do" list, but there haven't been any announcements regarding other destroids. There really aren't any good options for matching destroids with valkyrie toys in a constant scale. Most of the destroid options out there are models, in scales like 1/200, 1/100 and 1/72, for which no really good, accurate Valkyrie toy line exists. (There are some good Valkyrie models in those scales.) The same goes for the 1/144 diecast destroid toys (Takatoku/Matchbox/Exosquad) and the old 1/100 Takatoku destroid conversion kit. The K&M, Bandai, and Tomy gashapon/bubblegum toys are also options but again, scale isn't necessarily consistent with a wide range of good Valkyrie toys.

Surprisingly, the best choice for consistent-scale destroids, in my opinion, is the 7" Matchbox/Harmony Gold/Exosquad Tomahawk/Spartan/Phalanx/Defender quartet (Excaliber/Gladiator/Spartan/Raidar-X are the Robotech names IIRC). They all fall somewhere around 1/60 scale, though they're probably somewhat inaccurate and some of them may really be closer to 1/72. The Takatoku/Matchbox Monster, however, is 1/240 scale

4. Alphas--if you want a transformable one in scale with a Valkyrie toy, you probably need either a 1/48 model, which was sold in Japan by Imai but also in the US by Monogram under the Go Bot line, or a 1/55 Robotech Masterpiece when it comes out. There are 1/55's by Gakken in two versions: a two-mode one (no fighter mode) and a three mode one that looks awful. The Gakkens were also sold in the US under the Robotech name.

In general, if you want consistent scale across a wide range of mecha, your best option is models. Probably in either 1/100 or 1/72 scale. But you'll have to give up transformation in most cases. Also, a lot of the 1/72 scale models are pretty rare/expensive these days.

So after a quick review based on your responses I'm thinking the Yamato 1/48 are the best for detail and also the Toynami MPC series at 1/55 seem to be about in the same league, followed by the Yamato 1/60.

I don't have an MPC and I've only seen them in the box or on the Internet but I'm sure the general consensus would be that the Toynami MPC is far, far below the quality, detail, and accuracy of a Yamato 1/48. Nearly everyone would also rate the Yamato 1/60 as better than an MPC in terms of detail and accuracy (some think its more accurate than the 1/48, if not as detailed). The 1/60's have been criticized for lack of perfect transformation and floppiness/fragility, but neither has been an issue for me with my 1/60 Hikaru 1J.

If you settle on the 1/55 scale, bear in mind that the Bandai reissues of the original Takatoku design cost about as much as the Toynamis and are far better engineered for durability. Proportions may be slightly better than the Toynamis in some areas, slighly worse in others. Toynamis are probably a bit more posable if quality control issues don't interfere.

true dat the bandais are much cheaperand higher quality anyways. MPCs got "ass in teh air" rear fueselage where as bandai is like old school 80s teen fighter.

Bandais dont need no damn magnets to keep legs up no, they got TIGHT ASS RATCHETS. MPC dont got ratchets like that..hell they aint even reinforced by springs!

So MPC is a floppy mess. MPC and 1/60 aint evben clsoe to the 1/48.

u can do without 1/60. go 1/48 and bandai. truly the alpha and the omega...wait alpha=bandai u get the point.

start with the original end with the beaast i mean best.

and once again

NO the 1/.48 is not FRAGILE PER SE! the 1/60 and MPC will BREAK before youre 1/48! the only thing to watch oyut for is backpack and thats it. dont push it farhter than it can go. jsut use common sense. One member had his displayed with them heavy ass fast packs and it fell 8 ft.

NOTHING BROKE. so its not like one fall go bye bye.

i think teh MPC is in that category.

one more thing the 1/48 IS A TOY. Whoever says its a prebuilt model hasnt handled it enough and is too scared to try.

LoL, alrite alrite guess i gone too far. sorry capezio

ur topic was meant for scale.

i agree with you, not standardize at all.

btw wad is monster,MPC....... mospeada?

until now :unsure: i still duno which scale to go for too. zzzZZz !@#$!#%$^!@

what u choose anyway, 1/48 also?

thanks you guys really thanks everyone.

saw the pics n decide my mind, getting back my 481j before i regret again

60pilots ugly,601S head ugly. turning legs :lol:

:angry: GBP only Cmon caperzio i get with u. we noobie 48 :lol:

Edited by alvaro

Monster is the Mac II destroid Monster--an enormous destroid that looks sort of like a giant walking battleship turret with arms.

MPC = "Masterpiece Collection"--Toynami's name for their transformable Valkyries (VF-1's) and Alphas, which come in display boxes that look like books.

Mospeada is the original Japanese series that was edited into Robotech as the third "saga" (TNG). In the original, the transforming jet (RT Alpha) is called Legioss, the add-on mecha (RT Beta) is called Tread, and the three modes are called Armo-fighter, Armo-diver, and Armo-solder.

You can be crazy like me...

Get all the Yamato 1/60's to display in plane mode...

Get all the Yamato 1/48's to display in battroid mode...

Get the Bandai 1/55 reissues just for the nostalgia.... (although I still need the M&M and 1A & 1J hik)

Too bad all mine are sitting in storage though.

Of course the Yamato 1/48 I feel is the best of the bunch if you just pose them like statues on a shelf.

If you want to run around the living room with valk in hand and play pretend war games with your G.I. Joes... get the Bandai 1/55's

I would not go anywhere near a VF-1 Toynami MPC. There is something not quite right about their appearance.

Toynami MPC Alpha's... I have to wait until they come out before I give an opinion.

Edited by soze

anyway, only thing 1/48 dissapoints me is that all macross toys still dosen't have one which allows the valkyrie plane's head part transform into another small airplane when master body is being destroy during emergency just like what the tv series shown.

Don't be disappointed, because the "head part" does not transform into another small airplane. The cockpit and nose section does separate, but doesn't make a "small airplane." If you think about it, if this feature was incorporated into the 1/48, there would probably be lots of complaints about the part falling out.

Actually, it never transformed into a small airplane in the series. That was just a sequence in Hikaru's Magic Bicycle Dream.

Wait, does that mean we're not getting Hikaru's flying bike in 1/48th scale? Damn!

Seriously, though. I agree about the scale thing. I'm big on scale. I wish Yamato would pick a scale and make all their Valks in that scale. Preferably in 1/60, though I would like a few of my favourite Valkyrie designs in 1/48th to pose next to my VF-1 1/48ths.

The MPCs don't seem like bad toys, but they're not worth Toynami's asking price. For 80 bucks I could import a Yamato 1/60 with FAST packs.

For $120 (the price of an MPC + Super armour) plus shipping and about 5 bucks more I could nab another 1/48th sans armour, but still be happier with what I got.

Also, the 1/48ths are not as fragile as I've seen people make them out to be. I've had mine since they came out, transform them all the time, and no broken parts yet. I mean, it's not as sturdy as a Bandai, but what is?

Oh, and the removable legs on the 1/60s aren't that bad. It's still not like those model kits where you have to replace the entire fuselage, take the arms and legs off, and reattach them. I do think the 1/60s would have been better with swing bars, at least for battroid. The huge hips are just as much of an eyesore.

My 1/48 with fast pack took a nose dive twice. once off my monitor, which then hit the table then the floor. nothing broken. And again off my dresser, I dunno, about 4 ft, nothing broken. Both times in fighter mode though.

It has taken smaller spills in fighter mode with the fast packs on. and it's still ticking.

if yer only gonna get one valk, get a 1/48 w/ FP. if yer gonna collect these things, get a 1/48 w/ FP and *then* get the other stuff... like the 1/60's and the bandais.... the mpc's are horrible and really, that money could have been put to another 1/48.

Regarding placement of the landing gear, compare:

1. Picture from Macross Perfect Memory/Macross Design Works.

valkyriehooks.jpg

2. Yamato 1/48 compared to MPC

comparison-fighter-4.jpg

See also here for a complete lineup of (top to bottom) Yamato 1/48 VF-1A DYRL Hikaru, Toynami MPC VF-1J Rick, Bandai 1/55 VF-1A DYRL Hikaru, Yamato 1/60 same, Bandai 1/72 HCM VF-1S DYRL Hikaru. Only the Yamato toys get the landing gear right.

Edit: to my knowledge, the MPC's have one significant point of accuracy over other options: they have the arrestor gear in the rear engine nacelles (same as the Bandai HCM). But this is kind of a mixed blessing, because everyone agrees that twin tailhooks is a bad idea.

post-4-1078902481_thumb.jpg

Edited by ewilen

I don't have an MPC and I've only seen them in the box or on the Internet but I'm sure the general consensus would be that the Toynami MPC is far, far below the quality, detail, and accuracy of a Yamato 1/48. Nearly everyone would also rate the Yamato 1/60 as better than an MPC in terms of detail and accuracy (some think its more accurate than the 1/48, if not as detailed). The 1/60's have been criticized for lack of perfect transformation and floppiness/fragility, but neither has been an issue for me with my 1/60 Hikaru 1J.

If you settle on the 1/55 scale, bear in mind that the Bandai reissues of the original Takatoku design cost about as much as the Toynamis and are far better engineered for durability. Proportions may be slightly better than the Toynamis in some areas, slighly worse in others. Toynamis are probably a bit more posable if quality control issues don't interfere.

That is the problem, you dont have it... Dont put ideas into peoples mind based on "general opinion". Let him decide on non bias reviews from collectors (not Yamato purest) who collects a variety of Macross/Robotech toys.

APU, thanks for helping readers interpret my post. I can see how people would be confused by my statement that "I don't have an MPC and I've only seen them in the box or on the Internet."

If you look at the posts preceding the one I quoted by capezio you'll see that everyone who voiced an opinion on the MPC disparaged it in comparison to the 1/48. But I can see how the statement "the general consensus would be that the Toynami MPC is far, far below the quality, detail, and accuracy of a Yamato 1/48" could be misinterpreted.

Edited by ewilen

My 1/48 with fast pack took a nose dive twice. once off my monitor, which then hit the table then the floor. nothing broken. And again off my dresser, I dunno, about 4 ft, nothing broken. Both times in fighter mode though.

It has taken smaller spills in fighter mode with the fast packs on. and it's still ticking.

Shiiiittt.....and my 1/48 VF-1S with F/P is on a shelf 8 feet from the ground in gerwalk mode. I hope it doesn't take a plunge like yours....despite you promoting its durability :ph34r: How does one like you keep making it fall from high places anyway? Wind blew it? Cat got to it?

I'm considering getting the Toynami Alpha....since it looks like the best rendition of the Legioss so far. But if I can use the money to buy another 1/48 or half of it to buy a VF-0S....i'll skip on that.

That is the problem, you dont have it... Dont put ideas into peoples mind based on "general opinion". Let him decide on non bias reviews from collectors (not Yamato purest) who collects a variety of Macross/Robotech toys.

Oh, here we go again! :rolleyes: So what if this guy doesn't own an MPC? Anyone with half a bit of brain can look at the picture of one (and read the price tag) and judge for themselves that it just plain sucks. In this thread, readers have the benefit of a side-by-side comparison pic with a Yamato 1/48. You probably don't think it's a fair comparison, so why don't you post some good pics of your MPC with what you think is a fair comparison?

I can hear the crickets chirping already.