Lineage II

Vostok 7

If anyone was in the FFXI Christmas thread, Lineage II was brought up at some point.

I signed up for the Beta and yesterday I was accepted to join in. 1gb DL :blink:

I downloaded it and installed it but the server is down until 8pm PST as they're updating to "Prelude" (or is it Prologue?) so I have to wait until around there to get some ideas of what it's like.

Frankly, FFXI has me blown out on MMORPGs for awhile, but I'm going to give Lineage II a try just to see what it's like. The idea that you can solo most of it is kinda nice.

Anyone else have the beta?

Vostok 7

Bah, I applied for NA closed beta, but haven't been accepted yet :( However, I have played the Taiwan open beta. The game kicks ass. It's too bad they didn't have castle sieges or dragons in the open beta, guess they wanna save all the fun for when ppl pay. On the last day of Taiwan open beta, my bro and I went on a pk spree in his town. They all ran away, but I caught up to them and filled their body with arrows (yes, the arrows stick in ur body when ur shot!). Silly humans, when will they learn that Dark Elves are the fastest runners in the game? :lol:

Edited by Mellow Yellow

Bah, I applied for NA closed beta, but haven't been accepted yet :( However, I have played the Taiwan open beta. The game kicks ass. It's too bad they didn't have castle sieges or dragons in the open beta, guess they wanna save all the fun for when ppl pay. On the last day of Taiwan open beta, my bro and I went on a pk spree in his town. They all ran away, but I caught up to them and filled their body with arrows (yes, the arrows stick in ur body when ur shot!). Silly humans, when will they learn that Dark Elves are the fastest runners in the game? :lol:

Just wait until the Koreans hunt you down and LITERALLY PK you :lol:

I'm gonna give the beta a try and unless it really hits a chord with me, I'll probably quit once the beta is over. There's just nothing about the game that really interests me at the moment.

Vostok 7

I applied and was accepted in 3 days. I played all day Saturday. I think it's a pretty impressive game, probably the prettiest looking MMORPG out there. I'll probably wind up playing it after release since most of my friends already plan on playing it.

The weirdest thing about the game is that female dwarves look like 14-year old girls. :lol:

I'll just say that you'll never get tired of running around with the Dark Elf female ;) I had a DE female mage and a DE male fighter. The early lvls a mage will own monsters with their magic up until around lvl 12, but it gets harder later on, and you'll probably need to group with fighters. Fighters are the opposite and struggle a bit more early on. I had to sit and rest after fighting only 2 Dire Wolves :( But when you get higher you'll slice thru everything with ease without resting much :lol:

I am really looking into this genre of gaming. i have previously only enjoyed console gaming, but once i get my logitech gamepad, i want to start pc gaming as well.

i currently have:

p4 2.4 mhz

256 radeon 9200 (third party)

80 gig hd

768 mb ddr 2100

onboard sound (soon to be upgraded to audigy gamer)

is this something i could even play?

what about ffxi?

You shouldn't have any problem with either. Definitely not FFXI. I haven't gotten in to Lineage yet (down until 8pm) but it's supposed to be way more graphically intensive so we'll see. I have a 3.0 P4 with a GeForce 4 and 516mb DDR RAM.

SWG ran crappy on my old system (same everything except for a 2.0 P4 instead of a 3.0) and Lineage looks WAY better than SWG was so I don't know.

Vostok 7

System Requirements:

Windows 98 SE/Me/2000/XP; 100% DirectX 9.0 compatible computer; Intel PIII 933 MHz or AMD Athlon 900 MHz; 256 MB RAM; 32 MB 3D Graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) Capability; PCI, USB or Onboard Audio Device; Quad Speed CD-ROM drive; Keyboard and mouse; 56K modem or faster Internet connection; 1024x768 capable monitor required; Microsoft DirectX 9.0 is included on this CD; Installation requires 2.0 GB of free hard drive space. It is recommended that you have at least an additional 500 MB of free space available after installing the game for the Windows swap/page file and additional patch downloads

this is the thing with star wars galaxies that worried me about being able to play

Your card should be able to handle T&L. I believe all Radeons can.

Most cards from the GeForce 2 era and up could handle hardware T&L.

And trust me, it looks like Lineage has alot of it if you know what I mean :lol:

Vostok 7

i see on the website that you can dowload the beta, do i have to be accepted as a tester to play it? i am work so i can't DL it right now, but it would be an awesome treat for when i get home.

Yeah, you have to have a serial number to DL it, which means you have to be an accepted beta tester.

I did some playing today. It's fun, but I just don't get that great of vibe from it. It's obviously in rough beta (weird text for quests, empty buildings, unnamed NPCs, etc) but it is somewhat fun. The graphics are the only thing that sell it for me really.

Fighter type is fun to a point... The old hack 'n slash only goes so far IMO. The mage type is more fun, particularly at lower lvls (wind strike kills in 1 to 2 hits)... but from what I hear, fighter is a bitch at low lvls and then can solo well later on, whereas mage classes are a breeze at lower lvls and nearly require partying at later lvls.

But still, it's rough. Alot of the controls and panels really aren't intuitive IMO. There doesn't seem to be any real form of keeping a friendlist of any sort... things like that.

It's fun... but FFXI holds more interest for me right now. I'll keep at it though, I want to see if it gets better towards release.

Vostok 7

i uninstaled lineage 2 when i reached lvl 15 mage and went to the bigger island. i died more than 22 times, most of them because of the lag, in my screen i was running but in the server i was recieving hits from the enemy, so i stopped to play.

I've signed up for it about 8 times...

They better accept me or I'll...I'll!!!! Cry...

I was so desperate I got into the Japanese version.

Just to do nothing more than run around a bit and kill stuff.

Even with that it was a great game. Got kind of boring though, not being able to read quest stuff. >_>

This title has me intrigued a bit and I will follow others' comments when the game comes out here in the US. I kind of want to make an Elf like Deedlit from Lodoss War.

One very minor quibble I have is the artwork they used for the ads here in the US, at least the first one that I saw in the current issue of Computer Gaming World. It seems they opted for a more Western artwork than the fabulous artwork that I saw for Asia. Hell, the homepage's wallpapers look better than the US ads.

:angry: By now I would have a good idea of what the game is about if I could download it. Sheesh, that might be the death bell for me. I didn't even get a chance to play it.

You realise it's still only in closed beta, right? Once it goes Open Beta soon you'll have plenty of chances to try it.

Open Beta - March 28, 2004

That's right! The time many of you have been waiting for is here! It has been confirmed by NC that the Closed Beta has ended, and we are moving towards the next phase!

The characters are going to be deleted before the OB phase, but to answer a popular question: The characters you create during OB will carry over to the retail version!

Get ready to conquer!

-Deathspawner 12:44 PM [03-24-2004]

I did get into the closed beta. Its just the servers don't like my connection or whatever and wont allow me to d/l the client. oh well, since its going to open really soon I might as well wait and get it then and make the characters afterward. <_<