PS2 Final Fantasy XI for Dummies !

I know there is another thread in here somewhere with the PC ver.,

but I wanted to ask some basic questions about the PS2 version.....

--It costs money to play? (heard $13/month...that true?)

--Can you play solo? Or do you have to join a group?

--Will this lead to a divorce when I get it?!?!? :p

1. Yes it cost 13 a month and add an extra $1 for additional characters.

2. You can solo for around the first few levels maybe 1 to 13 but it isn't easy. For the most part you have to group, even to travel.

3. Not really. You'll most likely find yourself quiting after a while unlike other games. :)

From my limited understanding:

yes, yes and if you want, and what doesn't?

There is(or was) a major long thread going on titled "FFXI Christmas Spectactuar" or something with a bunch of the players talking. If my major wasn't so demanding I would be tempted to join myself.

3. Not really. You'll most likely find yourself quiting after a while unlike other games. :)

This... this I disagree with :lol:

Yes you will quit, some people are smart and quit early... Others wait until it has absolutely destroyed their life first.

Of course, I am of the latter :lol:

Vostok 7

Thanks for the info.

I've seen the other thread, but finding info about the actual game instead of everyone's level was tough!

Still on the fence with FF XI.

I like all of the older games (especially FF TACTICS!), as well as some other RPGs.... Chrono Cross and my new favorite is KINGDOM HEARTS.

Just concerned with the "online only" part. Wouldn't be able to play religiously - only 2-3 times a week - and that may effect gameplay, wouldn't it? Can't see how joining a group one night and then not showing up for a week would actually get you places!

We'll see......

Is it bad that one of the main draws for me is the hard drive?

Extremely so, since FFXI is the only game that supports it. Unlike the Xbox hard drive, the HDD that comes bundled with FFXI cannot be used for saving games, because the software is only programmed to recognized the memory card.

:lol:

Also, don't worry about how much play time you get.  You can really play this game at your own pace...  Just make sure you don't play with any friends if that is the case though <_<

Vostok 7

OK, so it's like this.....

--I can play the game solo at the very beginning, but it's beneficial to join a party.

--I can then join a different party everytime I connect. And because this may be 2-3 times a week, not having "connections" with other characters will be the easiest way to do this.

Well, I've been told I can be good at alienating myself, so I'm all set!! :D

Now I just have to get info on the monthly fees........those darn whipper-snappers!!!

It's $13 a month at least for the PC version.

And early on (lvl 1-10 or so) you can solo just fine. It's after lvl 10 that it gets really hard to solo.

And yeah, you don't really have to have connections... But with 2-3 times a week of playing you should be able to make some friendships with people looking for parties.

I usually only get 2-3 times a week to play, and it hasn't caused me one bit of trouble (except all my friends pass me like I'm standing still and it pisses me off :angry: )

Vostok 7

Hey I'm building up my low lvl jobs so you're ahead of me ok?

Prolly the only problem you'll have with the PS2 version is typing in anything you want to say unless you have a USB keyboard hooked up.

Everything that's been said is basically true.

Prolly the only problem you'll have with the PS2 version is typing in anything you want to say unless you have a USB keyboard hooked up.

Hmmm................wonder how this will be then?

Maybe have to call-up an on-screen keyboard and type with the controller?

Is it bad that one of the main draws for me is the hard drive?

Extremely so, since FFXI is the only game that supports it. Unlike the Xbox hard drive, the HDD that comes bundled with FFXI cannot be used for saving games, because the software is only programmed to recognized the memory card.

Actually, I read that they corrected that little misgiving ... but only for games that are programmed to recognize it. Basically, new games can recognize it and save games to it, while older games can't. But the HD can be used to store save files from a memory card. Of course I read this on a website from a supposed beta tester, so I'd take that info with a grain of salt.