1/48 VF-1J Custom

Wicked Ace

I love the mixed low-vis camo look. Really impressive!

Funny you should mention "low-vis!" I was going to do a low-vis Enigma scheme, but then I saw the "UNOFFICIAL COLOR SCHEME" thread in the Fan Works forum and changed my mind a half dozen times. What you see is the blending of my like of the CF and weathered low-vis. I hope somebody does an Enigma scheme in Tamiya intermediate blue and German aircraft blue. I'd have done it, but I wanted something with a weathered look, and the Enigma scheme has so much going on already (IMO), that weathering would almost be overkill.

i love that you used the minmay squadron decal - very "memphis belle" of you!

also - this is one of those customs that actually looks the best as a gerwalk! man that shark nose really brings out the character of the gerwalk, good job!

Hmmn. Kind of a "modern-day VF-111" what-if, with a bit of VF-31 tossed in. Neat. And the blue-grey top and white belly is very much like a real shark. It always surprises me that of all the many "F-14 squadron" VF-1's, and all the shark-mouth VF-1's, nobody (AFAIK) has even done the quintessential one--the very famous shark-mouthed F-14's of VF-111. :)

Maybe I should, with all my VF-111 decals and all. (Being my fave squadron, I have no lack of shark mouth decals)

Hmmn. Kind of a "modern-day VF-111" what-if, with a bit of VF-31 tossed in. Neat. And the blue-grey top and white belly is very much like a real shark. It always surprises me that of all the many "F-14 squadron" VF-1's, and all the shark-mouth VF-1's, nobody (AFAIK) has even done the quintessential one--the very famous shark-mouthed F-14's of VF-111. :)

Maybe I should, with all my VF-111 decals and all. (Being my fave squadron, I have no lack of shark mouth decals)

Not "maybe!" :) It's a worthwhile project, so please post pics when you're done.

It's a Revell/Monogram Sundowner's F-14A 1/48 Kit that those decals come from, IIRC.

You're correct about the Sundowners decals, but they didn't come out of a Revell kit. The decal package has Albatros Modelworks on it. Too bad I couldn't get the tail sections to look right, because I originally intended to have the Sundowners scheme.

It's a Revell/Monogram Sundowner's F-14A 1/48 Kit that those decals come from, IIRC.

You're correct about the Sundowners decals, but they didn't come out of a Revell kit. The decal package has Albatros Modelworks on it. Too bad I couldn't get the tail sections to look right, because I originally intended to have the Sundowners scheme.

If you have patience, you can always mask the tailfins and paint the rising sun on it. Base white coat, let it dry, mask with negative circle and stripes, paint red, let dry, and peel off the tape.

Walla... might want to practice on something first to test your masking skills.

If you have patience, you can always mask the tailfins and paint the rising sun on it. Base white coat, let it dry, mask with negative circle and stripes, paint red, let dry, and peel off the tape.

Walla... might want to practice on something first to test your masking skills.

I did trace the VF-1 tail onto a piece of paper and did a pencil sketch of the Sundowner tail scheme; however, I just couldn't get the desired effect, since the VF-1 has a cutout on the tail that the F-14 Tomcat does not. Anyway, I decided to go with the solid red in case I wanted to put the skull-and-crossbones decal on the tails. Oh, and here's the lighter background you suggested.

post-4-1079694994_thumb.jpg