Street Fighter III ................. PS2

I'd love to see someone say what's "wrong" with Valk Profile. Game's nearly flawless, and in my all-time top 5. And has greater replay value than most any RPG, with the two ENTIRELY different endings. (Ending meaning "the last 15 hours of gameplay")

What's "wrong" with it is"OMG TEH GRAFIX AM TEH SUX DEY AREN'T 3D DER AINT FMV IT IZN'T FIANAL FANTISY!1111111".

Do I have a low opinion of a large % of video game players? Very much so.

Do they often prove it justified? Yes.

Wow, Streetfighter 2 brings back memories of tournaments at Myrtle Beach. I wonder if this version will capture the same qualities, or a let down like Gran Turismo 3 was.

Here is some more news :

http://www.the-magicbox.com/Mar04/game031204d.shtml

As for JBO`s comment I know I would expect to hear something like that and yes the games from todayare not like before.

Just the other day I went to my local video game store, the salesman and some customers are saying that PS-3 will be No.1 and the other companies have no chance plus they said the PSP will put the Nintendo`s handheld in the grave once and for all and I didn`t say anything because they are all airheads/sony-graphic whores and it`s no use talking to them.

Here is some more news :

http://www.the-magicbox.com/Mar04/game031204d.shtml

As for JBO`s comment I know I would expect to hear something like that and yes the games from todayare not like before.

Just the other day I went to my local video game store, the salesman and some customers are saying that PS-3 will be No.1 and the other companies have no chance plus they said the PSP will put the Nintendo`s handheld in the grave once and for all and I didn`t say anything because they are all airheads/sony-graphic whores and it`s no use talking to them.

That sort of trash talk goes WAY back.

The Intellivision/VCS battle was the original system war, and it hasn't stopped since.

I didn't buy a PS1 when it came out because Sony didn't stand a chance. Sega and Nintendo were going to thoroughly decimate them.

Then the Ultra64(or was it still Project Reality then?) was late and the Saturn bombed(largely due to raging incompentence and an utter lack of software).

And I can't count the number of people that were preaching about how shitty the GameBoy was and how the GameGear walked all over it.

One faded and died, the other enjoyed a decade of life before it was upgraded.

And honestly, the PS3 evaluation is a fair one.

Unless something major happens(like Nintendo coming in on time to the next generation, with a good set of launch titles, and several major titles coming right behind it), the PS3 wins by default.

PSP is a bit diffrent. Sony is the challenger, not the incumbent, there. And as of yet, has no really compelling reason to buy it.

If they can get it out before Nintendo's next handheld, they stand a chance. But if the next GameBoy hits first, Nintendo's monopoly is almost certainly ensured for another generation.

And as Nintendo seems to have FINALLY learned their lesson from the Genesis and N64(as well as the scary near-miss of the Wonderswan and NeoGeo Pocket), the GBWhatever will probably be ready to lock gamers in for another round. And won't be a half-assed rush job like some other systems in the line.

Actually, the Wonderswan and NGP really hurt Sony. If it hadn't been for those 2, we'd probably still be on the original black&white GameBoy hardware, and Sony would have a LOT more room to impress people.

If you guys look at Nintendo, Sega, and Sony..

Just like the internet boom & bust.. the company survived and won are the company with the better business plan & model, rather than technology or innovation.

Sega had the better technology, almost each round.. they tried to stay ahead of others with technology.

Nintendo had innovation, each new system they had something new & innovative.

Sony wasn't the better innovator or technology, but they had the marketing strategy and business model to get all the 3rd party to sign-on as the hordes of people lined up because Sony made them believe it was the "emperor's new clothes.." which is the reason why Sony is on top today in many businesses..

Not because Sony makes better TV, stereo, or any console.. because Sony leads people to believe they are better.. and the companies follow where the consumers go..

If you guys look at Nintendo, Sega, and Sony..

Just like the internet boom & bust.. the company survived and won are the company with the better business plan & model, rather than technology or innovation.

Sega had the better technology, almost each round.. they tried to stay ahead of others with technology.

Nintendo had innovation, each new system they had something new & innovative.

Sony wasn't the better innovator or technology, but they had the marketing strategy and business model to get all the 3rd party to sign-on as the hordes of people lined up because Sony made them believe it was the "emperor's new clothes.." which is the reason why Sony is on top today in many businesses..

Not because Sony makes better TV, stereo, or any console.. because Sony leads people to believe they are better.. and the companies follow where the consumers go..

A lot of 3rd parties left Nintendo because they were late for the next round(same thing that let the Genesis rise to power a generation before).

They couldn't stay on the obsolete SNES while their competitors moved on to more powerful systems.

And going with ROM carts for their replacement system didn't help.

As for why Sony...

I think they offered more lucrative licenses than Sega.

I KNOW that the PS was a lot easier to develop for, being single-processor and having C++ libraries, instead of multi-porcessor(I think it's 4 general processors, with the 2 SH-2s taking center stage and the 68k-variant and SH-1 available for backup, and then 2 GPUs on top of that) and requiring raw assembly like on the older systems(PS1 was the first to have a C++ dev kit).

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like SCEA doesn't have their head completly up their ass

Street Fighter Returns!

North American audiences get reintroduced to Shadowloo.

April 06, 2004 - As we reported in a story published last week, there were strong rumors circulating out of Europe that Capcom planned to publish Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition and Street Fighter III: Third Strike - Fight for the Future as a bundle pack in North America. And though Capcom declined to comment at the time of our original article, it went ahead and came clean today by announcing that the suspected compilation does in fact exist.

To be called Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, the new collection will feature the entire contents of the Japanese anniversary disc, Hyper Street Fighter II.(a Vampire Chronicle-style hybrid of characters from all previous versions of Street Fighter II) and the ultra-slick arcade and Dreamcast follow-up, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike.

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection will be released exclusively in the U.S. market later this summer. We'll keep you updated with more as it becomes available.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/504/504486p1.html?fromint=1

Why is it that every time a game may not come out for the PS2 in America, everyone blames it on SCEA's "policy" against 2D games?

As far as I know, SFIII, Gradius V, and Megaman Anniversary Collection are all go for a North American release, not to mention that we just had R-Type Final and a King of Fighters... and they're all 2D.

As for the next round of console wars, the reality is that the PS3 will probably remain on top. It's not so much about launch or who comes out first/last (PS2 actually came out second, after Dreamcast, and the PS2 probably had the worst launch ever until the N-Gage came along)... it's simply marketing + installed base. Consumers have the perception that Nintendo is for kiddies. Meanwhile, PSX had a large installed base, PS2 has a huge installed base, and as long as there'll be Madden and GTA on PS3, a lot of people are going to buy the PS3 even if it's absolute crap.

As for the PSP, I'd almost go so far as to say they have a different market than the GBA. The GBA SP is a mere $99, and is solid as a rock. I'll be the first to admit that I love mine, but I'll also testify that younger children play with Gameboys more than any other system, including the home consoles. With at least a $250 price tag, the PSP isn't going to get into that market anytime soon. They hope to get the same audience that the N-Gage failed to grab... and unless they price the PSP carefully, are more selective with the design and features, and have the right balance between processor and battery life, the PSP will probably fail at it too, at least in North America. The situation in Japan, were almost everyone is spending ridiculous ammounts of time riding public transportation, is somewhat different, but in America I think we prefer high-end games on PCs or home consoles, and just need a handheld on the crapper... and the GBA fits that role nicely. The only things I can think of that the PSP will have going for it are the fact that the PS3 will supposedly play PSP games out of the box, and a rumored remake of Symphony of the Night.

Why is it that every time a game may not come out for the PS2 in America, everyone blames it on SCEA's "policy" against 2D games?

As far as I know, SFIII, Gradius V, and Megaman Anniversary Collection are all go for a North American release, not to mention that we just had R-Type Final and a King of Fighters... and they're all 2D.

R-Type Final had 3D graphics but 2D Gameplay. Gradius V is the same. SFIII is rumored to be coming out with the Anniversary SF2, so it's a "bundle". Same as any collections or bundles. Seems like(and note that it seems )like that is Sony's MO. Very few 2D games squeak by, and when they do, it is usually part of a collection or bundle(Midway compilations, Namco museums, KOF 2000 & 2001, etc)...Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and Cap vs SNK2 got by, by I wonder if the 3D Backgrounds were good enough for Sony in the US.

Sony has played and catered to the gaming public very well overall, arguably better than Nintendo and Sega ever did. They did their homework and listened in the beginning. They brought RPG's over. They had the image and catered to the older gamers. They weren't perfect(Remember Polygon man? Sofia as a "spokesperson") but, they did it. No one has done it better than Sony has the last 9 years. Don't get me wrong, because I love Sega, and was sorry to see them get out of the hardware business but, the 32X was shooting themselves in the foot, and the Saturn was never marketed correctly...the surprise launch of the Saturn left many retailers out in the cold, and as such, never carried Sega's Saturn...KB Toys was one...no Saturns there. They didn't bring over the good games...when they did, they didn't market them. NiGHTS into Dreams anyone?(one of the best games for the Saturn, and they never really pushed it). Nintendo's expensive cart format and stiffness was their mistake. Had the N64 been a CD Rom, they may have won, because the cart format was too expensive for 3rd parties...Square jumped into Sony's bed right from the start.

Microsoft is the underdog with billions in the bank...so while they may never be number one in the console business, they may just be there always.

Unless Sony severely drops the ball, they will likely be number one in the next round too.

As for the next round of console wars, the reality is that the PS3 will probably remain on top.  It's not so much about launch or who comes out first/last (PS2 actually came out second, after Dreamcast, and the PS2 probably had the worst launch ever until the N-Gage came along)... it's simply marketing + installed base.  Consumers have the perception that Nintendo is for kiddies.  Meanwhile, PSX had a large installed base, PS2 has a huge installed base, and as long as there'll be Madden and GTA on PS3, a lot of people are going to buy the PS3 even if it's absolute crap.

As for the PSP, I'd almost go so far as to say they have a different market than the GBA.  The GBA SP is a mere $99, and is solid as a rock.  I'll be the first to admit that I love mine, but I'll also testify that younger children play with Gameboys more than any other system, including the home consoles.  With at least a $250 price tag, the PSP isn't going to get into that market anytime soon.  They hope to get the same audience that the N-Gage failed to grab... and unless they price the PSP carefully, are more selective with the design and features, and have the right balance between processor and battery life, the PSP will probably fail at it too, at least in North America.  The situation in Japan, were almost everyone is spending ridiculous ammounts of time riding public transportation, is somewhat different, but in America I think we prefer high-end games on PCs or home consoles, and just need a handheld on the crapper... and the GBA fits that role nicely.  The only things I can think of that the PSP will have going for it are the fact that the PS3 will supposedly play PSP games out of the box, and a rumored remake of Symphony of the Night.

Unless you are seriously drunk.... R-Type is not 2D. Its a side scroller shooter... not a 2d game. Can you look at R-Type and then Street Fighter and tell me they have the same type of graphics? Gradius V is the same deal. The graphics there are the key. Its not about being 2D... its about how many polygons on screen at the same time.

As for Megama Collection... once again I fell obligated to point out the key word there.... "BUNDLE". It happened with the KOF release for the PS2, and it seems like its going to happen with the Street Fighter release.

If thats not the case... explain why SCEA refuses to allow anymore SNK games for a US PS2 release? Why did they refuse to allow the YS collection to be released? (other then being an extremely poor port)

As for the PS3 remaining on top.... I'm not betting all my money on it. Why? The PS2 is a weak hardware... its even weaker then the DC, which was released a few years before it. Why is it on top? 1-it can play PSX games, which gives it a huge library (how else can you explain the fact that the PS2 survived with a first year of nothing by mediocre games?). 2- it was out 1 year before the competition. Had it been released alongside the GC and the XBox... it wouldn't be the first one. 3-Its first because MS failed to attract the japanese market. Without japanese software, the Xbox isn't going anywhere. As for Nintendo? They are stubborn, and thats going to be their undoing. For every good decision they make, they make 100 bad decisions. Trust me, if the PS3 is first place... it won't be an easy battle like it was this generation. And I seriously hope all those Blu-Ray (or whatever) rumors are false. Otherwise, games are going to get seriously expensive.

As for the PSP... its going to fail. Different market? I doubt it, unless Sony decides to market it as anything but a portable system, which removes it completly from any video game related discussion. If the design being shown everyone online is the real design.... I feel sorry for whoever buys it. The PSP looks like the most fragile thing I have ever seen. And those button... ugh!

One thing you can expect from Sony... the PS3 will have their trademark piss poor design, and it will break at the slightest touch. The same thing with the PSP. Seriously.... knowing sony track record.... I expect the PSP to break at the slightest bump.

PS. Square left Nintendo not because of the format.... but because Nintendo controlled the 3rd parties like dictators, and charged a truckload to let games be made for their platform. 3rd pts jumped boats.... because Sony offered more humane conditions, that didn't require some sort of blood pact.

PPS. The PSP will never burry the GB... because unlike home consoles.... Nintendo actually cares about the handheld market. Its what has been keeping them afloat since the N64 days.

Edited by Abombz!!

As for the PS3 remaining on top.... I'm not betting all my money on it.  Why? The PS2 is a weak hardware... its even weaker then the DC, which was released a few years before it. Why is it on top? 1-it can play PSX games, which gives it a huge library (how else can you explain the fact that the PS2 survived with a first year of nothing by mediocre games?). 2- it was out 1 year before the competition. Had it been released alongside the GC and the XBox... it wouldn't be the first one. 3-Its first because MS failed to attract the japanese market. Without japanese software, the Xbox isn't going anywhere. As for Nintendo? They are stubborn, and thats going to be their undoing. For every good decision they make, they make 100 bad decisions. Trust me, if the PS3 is first place... it won't be an easy battle like it was this generation. And I seriously hope all those Blu-Ray (or whatever) rumors are false. Otherwise, games are going to get seriously expensive.

As for the PSP... its going to fail. Different market? I doubt it, unless Sony decides to market it as anything but a portable system, which removes it completly from any video game related discussion. If the design being shown everyone online is the real design.... I feel sorry for whoever buys it. The PSP looks like the most fragile thing I have ever seen. And those button... ugh!

It takes more than a few polygons to make a 3D game. R-Type Final and Gradius V are still 2D games. Has it ever occured to anyone that the new Metal Slug might just suck? Personally, I never cared for the series.

To use your argument, the Dreamcast should have been on top, because it beat the PS2 out of the box by over a year... and the DC had a kick-ass launch to boot. And yet, the DC burned out rather quickly. No, trust me on this one... the PS2 won this round of the console wars due to the tremendous success of the PSX, and the PS3 is likely to stay on top for the same reason. As long as Sony's console carries Madden and Grand Theft Auto, expect everyone and their mother to end up with a PS3.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Blu-Ray thing. When the PS2 was being developed, DVDs were a new technology, and the games are still $50. If at some point Sony decides to use Blu-Ray in addition to DVD as a format for the PS3 (just as they used both CD and DVD for PS2), expect the games to still be around $50.

Nintendo certainly won't beat Sony. Although Nintendo still carries a lot of respect with the hardcore gamers and the Japanese, the Madden crowd still has the notion that Nintendo is for kids. Combine that with the way they've alienated third party developers, and you can start to understand why there are rumors of Nintendo pulling a Sega (It won't happen, though, as long as Nintendo is raking in the green with the Gameboy).

Microsoft, I feel, would be Sony's closest competition. In America, the third party lineup for the PS2 and the Xbox is becoming awfully similar, right down the the Madden and (eventually) the Grand Theft Auto. Microsoft just needs to get more bigger exclusive games than just Halo, and they need to work harder to break into the Japanese market. A few RPGs wouldn't hurt either (although I do think that Knights of the Old Republic was probably the best RPG of the current console generation).

And as for the PSP, I feel it will probably fail too. Remember, I said they're aiming at a different market than Nintendo is with the GBA... the same market that Nokia was shooting for with the N-Gage. And yes, that does involve marketing it as more than a game player, just as Nokia did (and just as they successfully did with the PS2... it was due to the PS2 that DVDs caught on in Japan). But it's my thought that this market really isn't interested in a high-tech portable game player/multimedia device. They've already got their mp3 players, their portable DVD players, their cell phones, their digital cameras, their PDAs, etc. If they need a portable game to play on the crapper, they're more likely to play a GBA, in my opinion.

And no, the design everyone's seen on the net and in the magazines is NOT the final design for the PSP. They haven't even settled on the specs, yet.

Edited by mikeszekely

It takes more than a few polygons to make a 3D game. R-Type Final and Gradius V are still 2D games. Has it ever occured to anyone that the new Metal Slug might just suck? Personally, I never cared for the series.

Not according to Sony.

Sony's OFFICIAL APPROVAL PROCESS states that gameplay NEVER factors into licensing.

It also states that graphics are the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING.

They will not approve sprite-based games AT ALL anymore. Apparently they're making exemptions for bargin-bin and bundle-type things, though. Other than that, it's polygonal or non-existent.