Miyazaki's Racoon Wars Dilemma

I almost decided to use that gif as an avatar for a few hours but changed my mind thinking about the shock from those that have not read this thread and the nasty PM's I may have had. :lol:

OK, I now have the insane urge to watch this show.  Is it available somewhere?

If you're talking about Pom Poko (aka Racoon Wars) and not whatever the source is for that gif...

You might be able to get fansub VHS version. E.g., I got a VHS sub of Nausicaa at Kimono My House...pretty outrageous price and mediocre video, but the DVD version hasn't been released yet in the states. Apparently the Region 2 version (sold at CD Japan) has it with subs. There are also VCD's (may or may not have English subs and may or may not be bootlegs) and I've seen a Region 3 DVD out there with English subs.

You could wait for the Disney release--sometime before the end of 2005. That's probably your best option.

Edit: here's a guide to non-bootleg releases: http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/video/pompoko/

Edited by ewilen

Am I the only one who sees this as just another example of how screwed up American culture really is.

I hope you're the only one. It has nothing to do with culture being screwed up. There are things that are acceptable in Japan that are not in the US and vice versa. It just means we're different. Saying we're screwed up because we're different from another culture is rather narrow minded. And while calling your own culture screwed up may be acceptable, do realize that saying the same thing about another would get you branded as a biggot by most people.

Good thing I'm American then, so it's alright. Seems I did make a goof up though, I should not assume such quirks are limited to American culture. Shame on me.

However, I do think it is silly to be so ashamed of our own bodies that we shouldn't allow children to even know about a part of anatomy that they themselves may have. If that makes me a bigot, then I find human culture silly for labeling me as such, but hey, that's every individual's perogative. I do not believe it makes me narrow minded, however, as I do unsterstand, at least in part, why many cultures are this way and how silly it would be to expect people to change things like that. I also do not believe it makes me ethnocentric, because I do not believe my own personal culture is all that better. I do plenty of screwed up nd silly things.

BoB, it wasn't that I thought you were condeming anything, I just find the idea that your situation was a dilemma, even if it was an amusing one, to be a comment about how strange human culture can be at times, for the above reasons.

Just found someone using this gif as an avatar at another forum. Quite funny and on topic  :p

Graham

speaking of that. follow this link

Hahaha, great find. Kawaii!

damn straight!

She's hanging out with Furries!

Just found someone using this gif as an avatar at another forum. Quite funny and on topic  :p

Graham

speaking of that. follow this link

I am somehow highly disturbed right now :huh::huh::blink::blink::huh::huh:

:unsure:

Vostok 7

I had thought better not to post something like that, and let all your imaginations or if any of you have watched the show, get the idea. :lol:

Damn, this tanuki creature must be truly special (huge nuts and all). They even use his appearance in a property commercial to make as though that location they're selling, is special and should be sought after - WOW! :lol:

Thanks all!

Edited by Beware of Blast