Soldner: Secret Wars

With the absolute glut of next-generation FPS games coming out this year, one is clearly looking to take the crown from Battlefield 1942 as #1 "Vehicles 'n' Stuff" game.

http://soldner.jowood.com/

Set in the year 2010, its a massive, massive online battle experience. It features all the bells and whistles that one would expect from a next-gen game, like an up-to-the-minute physics engine and all the equipment listed in Janes Big Book of Modern Military Vehicles, but what sets Soldner (wtf is with that spelling, anyhow?) is its insane customizability. In normal Quake/HL games you can simply reskin your player model however you like. However, this relies on the other players having the same skin for them to see you in your pretty new clothes. Soldner actually lets you select individual components from a preloaded library to "asemble" your player. Got a gaming clan? You will be able to upload your own unit patches to the server.

The game boasts a staggering arsenel of firearms. It will ship with no less than 70 different small arms of nearly every nationality you can imagine, with the promise of many more to come. Making players like myself and JsARCLIGHT happy, it will feature realistic weapons physics and Vietcong/Call of Duty style "iron sights." For those who choose not to drive/fly around in vehicles, theres also mines, rocket launchers, grenades and sharp sticks.

There will be at least one interesting new mulitplayer mode. They are creating a persistant online "world" which will be divided amongst any and all registered clans. Each clan will have the opportunity to challenge another clan for a specific time and date. That's right, boys and girls. You can actually conquer the online world. (I don't recall if it said what happens when you lose your territory.)

Oh yeah, special dedicated game servers will be capable of hosting up to 128 players!!! No more sissy skirmishes of 16 on 16. this game will feature enormous battles!!

It sounds very ambitious... I will wait for more info to surface.

I did peek at the current gun selection and it appears that they are including a lot of next-gen and prototype weapons into the mix... but guns do not a game make, I expect this may be the one game that just might get me back into online gaming.

Then again it may blow small farm animals like most of the games I look forward to... :p

I did peek at the current gun selection and it appears that they are including a lot of next-gen and prototype weapons into the mix...

Yeah, they made some odd choices in a few of the weapons. G11? The Jackhammer? They might have been "future" weapons in the late 80's, early 90's but they're long since abandoned today. Where's the Sig 550? No Glock? (I'm sure you particularly felt that abscence, JsARC)

Edit: JsARC, I know I told you I was looking forward to Joint Operations, but from what I've seen Soldner has already blown it away. Still, I'll wait for both demos before deciding who's da winnah.

Edited by bsu legato

A cheap way to pad their gun lineup would be to add a lot of sub-classes of the same weapons, like letting the players choose a G17, G18, G19, G20, etc. etc. all the way through the whole Glock catalogue. Heck most of the guns use the same frames and the only difference is the barrel and magazine (which in the game just translates to different nerfing properties).

I myself would like to see the game take their SWS thing one step further and do like Global Operations and Counterstrike did and make the players "buy" their weapons with money based on their in game skills and kills. But unlike the previous two the game should allow people to sell their guns to other players in an "off stage" area like a bazzar. You could add a whole new level of play to the game with tons and tons of guns and people buying and selling them. Let the players have their "carry guns" and their own special "gun locker" too keep all their backups or extras, so if they get whacked on the game grid they have some guns to use if they have no cash on hand to buy anything. Heck, that system would even promote "looting" of dead soldiers to sell their guns on the market in the game.

With the absolute glut of next-generation FPS games coming out this year, one is clearly looking to take the crown from Battlefield 1942 as #1 "Vehicles 'n' Stuff" game.

http://soldner.jowood.com/

Set in the year 2010, its a massive, massive online battle experience. It features all the bells and whistles that one would expect from a next-gen game, like an up-to-the-minute physics engine and all the equipment listed in Janes Big Book of Modern Military Vehicles, but what sets Soldner (wtf is with that spelling, anyhow?) is its insane customizability. In normal Quake/HL games you can simply reskin your player model however you like. However, this relies on the other players having the same skin for them to see you in your pretty new clothes. Soldner actually lets you select individual components from a preloaded library to "asemble" your player. Got a gaming clan? You will be able to upload your own unit patches to the server.

The game boasts a staggering arsenel of firearms. It will ship with no less than 70 different small arms of nearly every nationality you can imagine, with the promise of many more to come. Making players like myself and JsARCLIGHT happy, it will feature realistic weapons physics and Vietcong/Call of Duty style "iron sights." For those who choose not to drive/fly around in vehicles, theres also mines, rocket launchers, grenades and sharp sticks.

There will be at least one interesting new mulitplayer mode. They are creating a persistant online "world" which will be divided amongst any and all registered clans. Each clan will have the opportunity to challenge another clan for a specific time and date. That's right, boys and girls. You can actually conquer the online world. (I don't recall if it said what happens when you lose your territory.)

Oh yeah, special dedicated game servers will be capable of hosting up to 128 players!!! No more sissy skirmishes of 16 on 16. this game will feature enormous battles!!

Soldner is German for mercenary

Hmmm, sounds interesting... :blink:

There really are some odd weapons choices. I really hope that we see more variants. For example, I love the MP5, but not the SD5. And they list the M4, but no M16.

They seem to be going for the popular weapons, too. No M92F, no Glock, no Sig 22x, but Desert Eagle, Mk.23, Colt .45 Gov't. At least the they have the Five-seveN.

But, no matter anyway. I'll be spending my time in a Helo, anyways.

Can someone tell me why they keep putting the Desert Eagle in games (and movies and books and shows and...)? The thing is useless as a combat handgun.

As for the weapons they don't list, my guess would be they are on the way or in the works. Then again when you think about it most guns today are all just clones of each other that do the same thing in a slightly different way. For instance:

M16 family - 5.56mm 30 round magazine

SIG 220/221 family - 5.56mm 30 round magazine

Steyr AUG family - 5.56mm 30 round magazine

H&K G36 family - 5.56mm 30 round magazine

L85 family - 5.56mm 30 round magazine

All those guns use the same caliber ammo with the same magazine capacity... ergo you really have just one weapon profile with a ton of skins. Same for the 9mm pistols, .45 pistols and so on and so forth. So unless the game makers do something really dumb and nerf the weapons so the "cooler" ones do more damage than the others it will most likely end up just like the real world... were you are comparing guns in one caliber and you go with the one that "feels right" to you.

Can someone tell me why they keep putting the Desert Eagle in games (and movies and books and shows and...)? The thing is useless as a combat handgun.

Because it's big, it's shiny, and it looks cool. That's the entertainment industry for you, no regard to reality, everything is about style (or at least perceived style) <_<

Ugh! Tell me about it! But I think I have some insight into at least part of its popularity. Think of these gamers who have no real insight into how real things work here on planet earth, be they pc gamers or pen & paper RPG geeks (and I still know three or four). To them, the Desert Eagle looks great....in theory. On paper, there's nothing NOT to like about it? Semi Auto...heavy calibre...badass looks. But these people will never have to

- carry it

- shoot it

- complain about its shortcommings

- and most importantly...PAY for it, and its ammunition.

:rolleyes:

You know, the talk of the ten pound jam factory (the DEP) has me thinking... has any game accurately modelled the "x factor" of firearms use? You know, jams... misfeeds... stovepipes... stopages... misfires... if they incorporated those actual issues into a game players would probably be bitching that the game "cheats". :lol:

True story: while at thunder ranch a few years back with a few cop friends of mine we took the assault course. They had their duty weapons (MP5s and M4s) and I stupidly took one of the rental guns they had on hand, a Colt 639. Let's just say that that rental gun had gone through the course a few times before I got ahold of it that day and was in dire need of a cleaning. I also made the rookie misake of loading 20 rounds into the 20 round magazines... first turn on the main street and bap bap plink the thing stovepipes on me. Had to clear the round. It ran ok for the rest of the mag but then we came into the part (if anyone has been there) when you enter the building and climb through the two stories shooting at the popups on the other side of the street. I had to do a mag change and once again bapbabpabpabpabpa plink! S#IT!

If that had been actual combat I would have been a sitting duck... twice.

You know, the talk of the ten pound jam factory (the DEP) has me thinking... has any game accurately modelled the "x factor" of firearms use? You know, jams... misfeeds... stovepipes... stopages... misfires... if they incorporated those actual issues into a game players would probably be bitching that the game "cheats". :lol:

Funny you should mention that. I read in one of the official "diaries" by the dev team that they have actually coded a variable for that. However it is currently turned "off" in the game engine. Whether it ever gets turned on or not depends on community input. And the team has shown that they do listen to their community.

Of course, if it does get activated ingame, then there is no way in hell I will be seen online using any of the AR family. :p

In America's Army in the training stage you unjam your weapon, but I never had it happen to me in a game

Just for comparisons sake, here's what the competition has to offer.

http://www.dfmax.com/jointoperations/multimedia.htm

Its still too early to judge which game is better. Soldner has yet to release an official trailer yet, so we can't compare the gameplay footage. Joint Op doesn't have an official page yet, so we can't compare game features. I will say that Soldner seems to have a much more ambitious scope to the game, particularly in single player mode. Instead of creating individual levels, they went and modeled the whole freakin' world, or at least the geographic areas that the game will take place in. Its just one big map. Apparently, it would take you 200 hours to cross it on foot. :o

But I really like the way Joint Operations lets you sit on the Little Bird helos, Black Hawk Down style. :ph34r:

A Joint Operations demo before the end of the month? That's what a Novalogic guy said on one of the Joint Op forums last week. Now if we could just get some gameplay footage of Soldner, we'd be that much closer to making an informed decision on which to buy.

There's a new trailer online, and I'm pretty impressed. It shows highlights of all the games 'special' feature like the destructible terrain and the endless customizability. Plus the weapons menu shows wayyyyy more weapons than the current web page lists. I think I even saw a Ruger Blackhawk!!

*drools*

Anyway, HERE'S the trailer.

And for those of you who are like me, and don't have a fileplanet account, HERE is another URL. Too bad we have to dl this one from Europe. :( But its worth your while.

[T-800] Trust me [/T-800]

Soldner....Joint Op....Soldner....Joint Op....this is going to be too close to call. Both of these games look so good. Here's the latest hand-on preview of Joint Operations

http://pc.ign.com/articles/499/499844p1.html?fromint=1

or

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/march04/jo...pc/index2.shtml

Notable features are

- weight-based inventory system (about g-d time)

- multinational uniforms to choose from

- 100+ players on some maps

- 30 to 40 multiplayer maps

- dynamic day/night cycle

- 29 drivable vehicles

Woooo, only 17.99 GBP at Play.com (UK-based), awaiting delivery of stock! :p

Woooo, only 17.99 GBP at Play.com (UK-based), awaiting delivery of stock! :p

Which one, Soldner or Joint Op?

Soldner.

Now I heard that Jowood has a reputation in making great graphics, but dull playability. Is that true?

Still no word on a Soldner demo, but Joint Ops is available today!

JOINT OPERATIONS: TYPHOON RISING OFFICIAL MULTIPLAYER DEMO TO PREMIERE ON NVIDIA’S NZONE.COM

Demo hits streets March 31st 2004

Calabasas, CA. March 30, 2004.  Entertainment software developer and publisher NovaLogic, Inc. today announced that the eagerly awaited official multiplayer demo for Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising will be released Wednesday, March 31st at 9am (PST) exclusively on NVIDIA’s nZone gaming web site, located at www.nzone.com.

NVIDIA will offer visitors to their web site the chance to be among the first to download the demo, which will feature one ‘Twin Island’ multiplayer map with day and night settings. The demo will be playable over the NovaWorld Games Network and via LAN. Other features in the demo include:

–        Up to 100 player games via NovaWorld with 32 players on a LAN

–        19 land sea and air drivable vehicles

–        27 Weapons

–        5 classes: Rifleman, Gunner, Engineer, Sniper & Medic

Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising, part of NVIDIA’s “The Way It’s Meant to Be Played” program, takes advantage of the latest NVIDIA-based graphics cards to deliver a gorgeous, action-packed experience on land, sea and in the air, while huge battlefields and “super-foliated” maps add a new dimension to the multiplayer gaming. 

The demo will be publicly available for download from 9am (PST) on April 1, 2004.

Full features and information on the final version of the game can be found on http://www.jointopsthegame.com .

Still no word on a Soldner demo, but Joint Ops is available today!
JOINT OPERATIONS: TYPHOON RISING OFFICIAL MULTIPLAYER DEMO TO PREMIERE ON NVIDIA’S NZONE.COM

Demo hits streets March 31st 2004

Calabasas, CA. March 30, 2004.  Entertainment software developer and publisher NovaLogic, Inc. today announced that the eagerly awaited official multiplayer demo for Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising will be released Wednesday, March 31st at 9am (PST) exclusively on NVIDIA’s nZone gaming web site, located at www.nzone.com.

NVIDIA will offer visitors to their web site the chance to be among the first to download the demo, which will feature one ‘Twin Island’ multiplayer map with day and night settings. The demo will be playable over the NovaWorld Games Network and via LAN. Other features in the demo include:

–        Up to 100 player games via NovaWorld with 32 players on a LAN

–        19 land sea and air drivable vehicles

–        27 Weapons

–        5 classes: Rifleman, Gunner, Engineer, Sniper & Medic

Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising, part of NVIDIA’s “The Way It’s Meant to Be Played” program, takes advantage of the latest NVIDIA-based graphics cards to deliver a gorgeous, action-packed experience on land, sea and in the air, while huge battlefields and “super-foliated” maps add a new dimension to the multiplayer gaming. 

The demo will be publicly available for download from 9am (PST) on April 1, 2004.

Full features and information on the final version of the game can be found on http://www.jointopsthegame.com .

Who else downloaded it?