Finally! got my first 1/48 today

newca

I've been waiting too long... I remember first time to see the review of 1/48 prototype at MW... but I'm a plastic modeler for a long time, to have such a "big toy" is really different experience. although I've had 3 1/60 Valks before, but sold them up at last, coz I wanna "play perfectly", and today my dream comes true... :lol:

thank you Sebastian, Graham, Neova and 柿崎速雄, for telling me about Yammie market of HK, althou I got it at my hometown Shanghai at last for 107USD :p

and mechaninac, just saw your advice on telling a reissue from the first issue before I got mine, and my VF-1S does have a round head rest seat :)

post-4-1077288387_thumb.jpg

oh, the FP is not included in that 107USD of coz...I've got it almost 2 months ago from HLJ, it's very very hard to find one in Shanghai...Sebastian knows that :D

didn't find any obvious blemish till now...but the airbrake is loose, sure to open at batroid mode(althouth I didn't make a transform yet).

in fighter mode it's really tough. and so small it is compare to a 1/48 Tomcat...the white plastic parts belong to a 1/48 Q-5 attacker from AA models.

post-4-1077288800_thumb.jpg

yes yes! I washed my hands again and again before open the box :p

and it's surprise to see a bubble shape canopy without a mold line in the middle of it...usually found in Hasegawa models...how the hell Yamato did it? but from a modeler's so called critical view, the canopy is not very smooth and clear, and the pilot is way off "detailed", but it's not a big problem, I can custom one later... B))

and, any one has a deconstruct instruction? maybe I can do some sanding, puttying and painting works :ph34r:

post-4-1077289668_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on your first, and probably not the last...these damned things are addictive, 1/48 VF-1. :) Man, that is the one Valkyrie I still want to get, but it is currently too expensive in the USA. :(

I'm glad you found my FYI useful; there are other, less obvious, improvements akin to those introduced on the Low Vis, but Yamato dropped the ball by not selling the reissues with the new pilot sculpt included with the VF-1S Hikaru. <_<

Here is another piece of advice: If you plan to leave the toy as is, other than doing the panels, buy Takatoys stickers for your Valkyrie; they are much better than Yamato's stickers and you get to keep those mint in their bag. If you intend to do any customizing that requires painting and sealing than try to get Anasazy's decal sheet (he makes self-adhesive stickers also, but I haven't seen them in person; anyone who has can give you a review) since they will look better than stickers and much more "model-like".

Now if Yamato would only release other VFs in 1/48... :rolleyes:

Edited by mechaninac

and, any one has a deconstruct instruction? maybe I can do some sanding, puttying and painting works :ph34r:

Jeez... the guy's had the toy for a few hours and he's already itching to tear it apart.

You modelling types... :p

Just kidding with you... hope you enjoy your first 1/48. You know what's even better than buying your first? Buying your second, and third... :lol:

Welcome to the family of 1/48s!! I dont' know anybody personally that doesn't like the 1/48, but then again, I woudln't want to hang around with them because they'd see my 1/48s and say they suck! :angry:

Newca, you're in Shanghai too?? next time I come down, me you sebastian should go out for drinks! we can talk about Macross and look at all the chinese girlies. :p

any one has a deconstruct instruction? maybe I can do some sanding, puttying and painting works :ph34r:

You should PM Jung, He modified the pilot for the CF he made me and it's perfect! Now I can't stand looking at the Pilot's Yamato makes.

/gene

Hi guys...

I'm new here. I should be getting my first 1/48 this Monday... and I can't wait! I don't have much of a macross/robotech collection, but I'm hoping that will change soon. Here's what I have (if you guys care):

Bandai 1/55:

- VF1A

- VF1J

- Super VF1S

Toynami 1/55:

- VF1S (I'm sure you guys agree, this one is such a piece of crap. But it looks good in the bookcase. Nice job on the armour set, though)

Yamato 1/60

- VF1A (bought this sucker when it first came out. It was nice, but everything is soooo loose. This is what stopped me from buying more...well, until now. I just ordered the re-issue of the 1/48 VF1S... I hope what's said about it is true.

Anyways, just wanted to say that I enjoy this site. And yeah, my collection probably blows compared to your guys' - but hell, I'm a beginner.

Welcome to the family of 1/48s!! I dont' know anybody personally that doesn't like the 1/48, but then again, I woudln't want to hang around with them because they'd see my 1/48s and say they suck! :angry:

Newca, you're in Shanghai too?? next time I come down, me you sebastian should go out for drinks! we can talk about Macross and look at all the chinese girlies. :p

Nah! No way we hang out with you. Girls allways run away if you are near. :lol:

Also you get drunk too easily and later I have to carry you on my back :rolleyes:

I just hope your place dont have stairs like my old house or I will leave you outside this time. :p:D:lol:

Yep we should meet next time you are here! Well after you finish the the jury thing.

Nani?!, fifbeat, congrats to you too! handle our yammie with care and love :D

I agree that Bandai 1/55 is really tough, but...ugly also...forgive me pls. I did have a 1/55 (bootleg) about 10 years ago, and I know there will be an ultimate replacer of it B)) . I thought it was Yamato 1/60 once, but just like fifbeat said, it's not "the one", sold them all (one 1A HIKARU, two 1A MAX) at last. missing them now somehow, maybe the GBP armour will in stock soon? :(

柿崎速雄, the 1/48 F-14 is Academy kit, it doesn't have an accurate nose shape like Hasegawa(the best out there), but it has recess panel line, pilot figures, full weapon load, and low price :D not bad at all. this one is not on the top of my schedule now, but I'll build it asap.

hellohikaru, the Nanchang Q-5/A-5 is an AA kit from China, I live in Shanghai, so... check out your local hobby shops maybe? or goto www.aircraftresourcecenter.com for help. your Macross Fan Creations is fantastic! ;)

Sebastian, I can't believe that too! firstly I found a tiny toyshop at subway station(B1, Chang Shu Lu station, subway line 1, near the old clothing market Hua Ting Lu, ha ha~). but as you know, even there is a shop that has Yamato stuff, usually the 1/48 will be sold at 130-140USD here. but luckly, this shop is temporarily closed because of subway reconstruct, so they put some stuff on the Chinese auction site www.eachnet.com, the price is 888RMB! so...you know the rest...but my story maybe useless to you, sorry...

I don't think they have many other 1/48s, the shop is so small... but they do have some nice sci-fi/animation "turning eggs"/small figures. it said to be reopen in April. they have a temporary website: www.toysq.com.

and, did you ever go to the shop near Xiang Yang Lu market? they have a Low-vis 1/48 on the 2F, the price maybe high, 150-160USD, hope it's still there if you like it.

post-4-1077376687.jpg

Edited by newca