Does anybody know If Giant

Daishi3500

Regarding the series, or movie, dosn't matter- have any of you guys heard of a DVD release? BTW, IS it a good series? the animation looks great and stylized.

Hey A7, review this one, please :D

It's not out in the US on DVD. Manga has given a couple dates over the years, but I sincerely believe we'll probably never see it. At least from that company ayway. I'd pick up the Japanese release, but it's about $250 for the set.

Giant Robo is an incredible series. Characters, story, music, animation, and designs all work wonderfully together. I'm more than willing to forgive them for taking ten years to make the whole thing. If you haven't seen it yet, do yourelf a favor and watch it as soon as possible.

Giant Robo was one of the first anime titles to get a HK DVD bootleg box set release a few years ago when anime DVD bootlegs with English subs started to appear.

However, the HK set (I forget by which company it was by) had the most appalling subtitles I have ever read. The sentence structure just did not make sense at all and all the characters names were completely changed to either Chinese names or total stupid sounding made-up names. The subs were so bad that I really had to force myself to sit through the whole thing and once I'd finshed, I threw it out at once.

One word of warning about Giant Robo. If you are expecting lots of mecha action (as I was), you will be very disappointed. Apart from the first episode, there is hardly any mecha action at all. Most of the action (and there is quite a lot of it) is in the form of hand to hand combat or gunfights between the characters.

Giant Robo is well animated and has a good story (I suppose). It certainly has a fairly large fanbase, but I just didn't enjoy it much due to the lack of mecha action.

Out of the recent Super Robot genre titles, I far prefered Shin Getter Robo Armageddon and Mazinkaizer, both of which featured far more mecha action.

Graham

anyway, do you know where I can find this dvd.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/1...tml?id=KkstJYqd

Probably worth noting that the company who produced this has gone out of business, so it probably is or will soon go out of print.

ahhhh, thanks.

It says it plays on all regions, so I think it'll work over here. $80 isn't that bad in the long run. I think i'll get it. B))

That's not a bootleg, it's somewhat licensed (I don't think the subtitle & english dub track are, but they do have a basic release contract). It's also different from the HK bootleg in that it uses an accurate script (names & everything are spot on). Highly reccomended for those looking for a great epic story, though not so much of a mecha action piece (but awesome no matter what Graham says).

I think I read before that Mangle has lost the Giant Robo liscense recently. I have not seen anything about who else might have picked it up though.

Edited by Anubis

I think I read before that Mangle has lost the Giant Robo liscense recently. I have not seen anything about who else might have picked it up though.

Yup, manga lost the license, and this is the best way to get the OVA. Only real downside is that the Ginrei OVA isn't included.

That's not a bootleg, it's somewhat licensed (I don't think the subtitle & english dub track are, but they do have a basic release contract). It's also different from the HK bootleg in that it uses an accurate script (names & everything are spot on). Highly reccomended for those looking for a great epic story, though not so much of a mecha action piece (but awesome no matter what Graham says).

I take it that one of the Koreas is the country it's supposed to be licensed to? Cool that Mangle lost GR. Now if only another company would step in and grab it (along with Wings of Honneamise). Any confirmation of the rumors that they don't have Gunbuster anymore?

Keith & Panon,

Can you elaborate a bit on the quality of this Korean DVD set you mentioned? How is the English subtitle, picture quality, video quality, chapter breaks...etc? Like a lot of you guys, I have been waiting for the R1 DVD release for years. But if this set is a legit Korean release with top notch quality (not like those crappy VHS rip Engrish HK bootleg), it might just end my wait. Its All Region right? Is DVD Asian.com a good place to buy from?

Really appreciate your feedback.

Edited by mpchi

That's not a bootleg, it's somewhat licensed (I don't think the subtitle & english dub track are, but they do have a basic release contract). It's also different from the HK bootleg in that it uses an accurate script (names & everything are spot on).  Highly reccomended for those looking for a great epic story, though not so much of a mecha action piece (but awesome no matter what Graham says).

I take it that one of the Koreas is the country it's supposed to be licensed to? Cool that Mangle lost GR. Now if only another company would step in and grab it (along with Wings of Honneamise). Any confirmation of the rumors that they don't have Gunbuster anymore?

crap, we lost honemeise too!, I always wanted to see that one.

You misunderstand. This is a very, very good thing. Manga did an incredibly craptacular job on the DVD release of this film. The translation was way off in places and my ten year old VHS copy has better video quality.

You misunderstand. This is a very, very good thing. Manga did an incredibly craptacular job on the DVD release of this film. The translation was way off in places and my ten year old VHS copy has better video quality.

Did Manga lose WoH, too? That's good news if they did, because they refused to acknowledge there was any problem with their crappy disc. I never bought it for the crappy quality, even though I have wanted to see it.

It's a 5 disc release (7 episodes spread across the first 4 disc's, and the 5th packed with extra's).

Video quality is great, sound is great, and subtitles from what I understand were "borrowed" either from a fansub script, for from manga's subtitle script. Either way, they're clean, clear, names are correct, spellings are correct, sentence structure is perfect english, etc.

If you want Giant Robo, this is the set to get. Graham mentioned the HK set which is an entirely different release, terrible subtitles, & I believe only 2 disc's.

The Korean set is listed as R3, but is also R1 compatible. And yes, dvdasian is a reputable shop.