Videogames with customizable character appearance?

This kind of goes along the lines of many recent RPG's--PSO, FFXI, and Morrowind, etc. I'm just looking for a game (preferably offline) that has loads and loads of options for designing a character's appearance. And color variations aren't nearly as important as actual physical differences. If there's 4 types of ankles or 5 knees to choose from and 26 torsos, that'd be wonderful. I want way more than 3 bodies, 4 faces, and 6 hair colors like many games offer. Any games with a very complex design? (Well, I know wrestling games often get pretty complex--but I'm looking for more like an RPG, with fantasy races etc)

if you have an xbox, there is a game called Fable coming in march that seems like it will fulfill your every dream.

you start at 15 or so, and EVERYTHING that occurs in the game affects how you will look when you grow up, inluding tattoos, being out during the sun, whether or not your job requires exercise, and things like that.

I am thinking this game will either be balls to the walls spectacular, or it will just plain suck because they didnt take enough time with the gameplay aspects of it.

This kind of goes along the lines of many recent RPG's--PSO, FFXI, and Morrowind, etc. I'm just looking for a game (preferably offline) that has loads and loads of options for designing a character's appearance. And color variations aren't nearly as important as actual physical differences. If there's 4 types of ankles or 5 knees to choose from and 26 torsos, that'd be wonderful. I want way more than 3 bodies, 4 faces, and 6 hair colors like many games offer. Any games with a very complex design? (Well, I know wrestling games often get pretty complex--but I'm looking for more like an RPG, with fantasy races etc)

Theres none. The best you will get is SWG character creation. We haven't gotten to the point where RPGs feature customizations beyond mere cosmetics. I would love to be able to change everything about a character, but so far, no game has accomplished that.

On the SWG thing... I think more time went into the character creation screen then the entire game. :blink:

Thanks, but few things I like less than sports games. Though I did take a look and Tiger Woods does look like I'd have lots of fun designing a character (LOTS of options)--just not playing as one.

Anyways---so, if there's no "perfect" game out there, what ones offer the most choices? Either lots of little changes, fewer (but big) ones, etc. One of the neater options was actually in SW:KOTOR. While it didn't really affect "proportions" your initial job would affect your character's height. Soldiers would tower over a scoundrel, regardless of other options you chose.

Or to be more specific---what game would offer the most possible variations of anime girls? Especially purple and/or green hair if at all possible. (see avatar) :) Or elves (especialy dark ones). Or heck, just humans with unrealistically large swords/elaborate armor. Basically---I'm tired of playing as generic RPG hero-man. Give me a female lead, or a non-human one. Or non-human-female. (Yes, I like dark elf chicks, they wouldn't be in so many games if they weren't popular)

If you like adventure games, Uru: Ages Beyond Myst is supposed to be pretty good and lets you customize your character in almost infinite ways. I loaded it up and played with this feature for a minute but have not played it yet. There is a multiplayer option but I don't know what that is about.

Theres none. The best you will get is SWG character creation. We haven't gotten to the point where RPGs feature customizations beyond mere cosmetics. I would love to be able to change everything about a character, but so far, no game has accomplished that.

On the SWG thing... I think more time went into the character creation screen then the entire game. :blink:

Yeah, SWG's character creation was the best.

Too bad the game didn't follow suit :angry: And for some odd reason, despite all the good customization abilities, everyone ended up looking the same or similar to me <_<

Except my character. He was ass ugly. :lol:

Vostok 7

Or to be more specific---what game would offer the most possible variations of anime girls? Especially purple and/or green hair if at all possible. (see avatar)  Or elves (especialy dark ones). Or heck, just humans with unrealistically large swords/elaborate armor. Basically---I'm tired of playing as generic RPG hero-man. Give me a female lead, or a non-human one. Or non-human-female. (Yes, I like dark elf chicks, they wouldn't be in so many games if they weren't popular)

Sounds like you are looking for one of those crazy semi-hentai dating sims. :blink:

Unfortunatly.... theres no such game. :(

Ummn, no. :rolleyes: Just looking for something different. Man, I knew that'd be taken the wrong way, but there was no other way to phrase it. From what I've seen, PSO actually has the closest options for what I want, but that's not an option. Anyone here actually played Morrowind? I've seen LOTS of neat options, but need to know just what categories are available. (The armor especially catches my eye, I'm big on having cool-looking armor)

And there's also the "game itself has to be good, too". SW:KOTOR--great game, would have gone through it even more times had there been more options. I eventaully saw what about 90% of all characters looked like "dark". But only 3 colors of robes, and height is the only thing that's variable... And why were there no light-side guys with beards? I wanted Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Ummn, no.  :rolleyes:  Just looking for something different.  Man, I knew that'd be taken the wrong way, but there was no other way to phrase it.  From what I've seen, PSO actually has the closest options for what I want, but that's not an option.  Anyone here actually played Morrowind?  I've seen LOTS of neat options, but need to know just what categories are available.  (The armor especially catches my eye, I'm big on having cool-looking armor)

And there's also the "game itself has to be good, too".  SW:KOTOR--great game, would have gone through it even more times had there been more options.  I eventaully saw what about 90% of all characters looked like "dark".  But only 3 colors of robes, and height is the only thing that's variable...  And why were there no light-side guys with beards?  I wanted Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan.

Trust me... I know what you mean. I'm one of those who loves good looking armor and customization options in RPGs.

But you see.... there is no anime based RPG that has that sort of options. POS is the only one so far. As far as cool looking armor goes, I like of ot the stuff in FFXI, I just wish they would remove the damn hot pants already.

I understand what you are looking for, because I would also love to have something like that in a game, but as far as it goes, PSO is one of the few Japanese style RPGs that offer anime like character costumization.

As far as KOTOR goes.... the characters not only looked extremely ugly (the females at least), but the armors were beyond lame.

MOrrowind was awsome... but the actuall character models look just as bad as those in Everquest. <_<

Edited by Abombz!!

Heh heh.  KOTOR choices were pretty much "which face is least ugly".  :)  (Part of the reason I thought beards would really help)

Ok---any non-anime RPG's anywhere similar to what I'm looking for?

Like I said.... SWG is the closest thing to full costumization, but you probably already know theres no game to back that up. Theres Morrowind, but you probably already knew that. And the afro mentioned Fable. Don't know how much costumization Fable will have though (I hope for at least gender choice)

The best source of costumization are usually MMORPGs.... or untill Square decides to start making RPGs were you can fully customize the main character.

Edited by Abombz!!

(Yes, I like dark elf chicks, they wouldn't be in so many games if they weren't popular)

A man after me own heart, Master David.

Pirotess as the lead character in a Lodoss RPG... Or some such. I would kill for that.

Hehehehe..... dark elves are the only reason why I'm interested in WoW. :lol:

I checked out Fable--while there's a lot of stuff possible, there's only one character, a guy. There's a LOT of VERY different versions of him, but it's all the same guy. Just anywhere from a priest to a demonic scarred sorceror version of him.

I checked out Fable--while there's a lot of stuff possible, there's only one character, a guy. There's a LOT of VERY different versions of him, but it's all the same guy. Just anywhere from a priest to a demonic scarred sorceror version of him.

Well..... THEY HAVE TO LET US CHANGE GENDERS!!!!!

otherwise this game will suck big hairy monkey nuts. Seriously... I bet he is also ugly as a f@ck. <_<

Baldur's Gate II let's you pick from a few main characters (including a dark elf monk chick), and then you upgrade your weapons and armor throughout the game and it changes your character's appearance (boots, gloves, helms, armor, weapons all affect the look)

A similar game, Everquest: Champions of Norath, gives you more room for customizing the initial character I think (every character can be either a dude or a chick), plus it has the same weapon/armor appearance thing goin on.

They are both hack and slash type rpgs.

Baldur's Gate II let's you pick from a few main characters (including a dark elf monk chick), and then you upgrade your weapons and armor throughout the game and it changes your character's appearance (boots, gloves, helms, armor, weapons all affect the look)

A similar game, Everquest: Champions of Norath, gives you more room for customizing the initial character I think (every character can be either a dude or a chick), plus it has the same weapon/armor appearance thing goin on.

They are both hack and slash type rpgs.

Right.... but the Champions of Norrath models look like ass.... and they are not nearly as costumizable as David wants. :huh: