New Innocence: Ghost in the Shell preview

bsu legato

http://ffmovies.ign.com/filmforce/video/gi...r_ja_qt_480.mov

All I can say is "wow." I wasn't a huge fan of the first film, but I'm seeing this one for the animation alone! Production IG are gods among animators these days. Just look at how fluid the CG backgrounds are as Batou walks through the convenience store. Absolutely jaw-dropping. :o

How does the GiTS timeline work. Is the series a sequel to the first movie or just a remake of the events in more detail? Or are the first movie and the 2nd movie one timeline while the series is another one with events taking place different?

Also what is the whole GITS story about? I never really got into the first movie. Either due to not having time, bad downloaded copy or maybe it just didn't grab my interesting. Help would be great.

Edited by Effect

How does the GiTS timeline work. Is the series a sequel to the first movie or just a remake of the events in more detail? Or are the first movie and the 2nd movie one timeline while the series is another one with events taking place different?

The TV series is an "alternate universe" where the Puppet Master incident never happened. The first and second movies belong to the same timeline/universe.

I don't believe that there is one particular continuity for GitS. The original manga and Man Machine Interface are loosely connected, as are the original film and Innocence. But I don't think that any of them are intended to connect together to form one cohesive timeline. But if you wanted to get nitpickety, you'd have:

Continuity 1 - Ghost in the Shell manga, Man Machine Interface manga

Continuity 2 - Ghost in the Shell anime, Innocence: Ghost in the Shell 2 anime

Continuity 3 - Stand Alone Complex (possibly related to either of the other 2?)

Ouch. Batou seems to be losing his touch, I don't think he's ever had some much trouble with petty thugs. But from what it seems it looks like that was a planned "hit". :D

Where's Aramaki? No Major? :(

The CG is looking AWESOME. Some of the most detailed action segments I've ever seen. Just check out those cans of food and shattering glass. WOW. B))

I click on link, and I get this? :huh:

ERROR

The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://ffmovies.ign.com/filmforce/video/gi...r_ja_qt_480.mov

The following error was encountered:

* Access Denied.

Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is incorrect.

Your cache administrator is root.

Generated Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:30:13 GMT by sjsquid1 (squid/3.0-PRE3-CVS)

I click on link, and I get this? :huh:
ERROR

The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://ffmovies.ign.com/filmforce/video/gi...r_ja_qt_480.mov

The following error was encountered:

* Access Denied.

Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is incorrect.

Your cache administrator is root.

Generated Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:30:13 GMT by sjsquid1 (squid/3.0-PRE3-CVS)

Right-click ---> Save Target As

For a summary/translation of most of the Japanese text in the trailer(s), you can visit the Production I.G. page for Innocence.

Briefly, it says:

Batou is a living doll.

His whole body, even his arms and legs are entirely man-made.

What only remains are traces of his brain

and memories of a woman named, Motoko.

When the boundary between humans and machines

has infinitely blurred,

Humans have forgotten that they are humans.

This is a promiscuous story of a lonesome "ghost" of a man,

who nevertheless seeks to retain humanity.

Innocence...

That's what life is.

The credits page lists the main voice actors:

Batou :: Akio Otsuka

Motoko :: Atsuko Tanaka

Togusa :: Koichi Yamadera

Aramaki :: Tamio Oki

Ishikawa :: Yutaka Nakano

Kim :: Naoto Takenaka