Arch Enemies Gundam RX-78-2

Vostok 7

I picked up one of these over the weekend.

I'm impressed. For a $20 there's alot of detail here. Excellent articulation, almost on the level of the V2 MSIA (not as good in some spots, and better in others... kind of a wash).

Lots of accessories... Two shields (one with a regular arm mount, and one with a beam rifle holster and arm mount), two beam sabers (duh), beam javalin, hyper bazooka (the Gundam also has a folding panel on the back to hold the hyper bazooka), beam rifle, Gundam Hammer, 6 or 8 hands, and the core block fighter (which has to be assembled, but is prepainted and detailed).

The backpack has a removable cover, the codpiece slides down to allow the cockpit cover to open, and the body splits in half to allow the core block to be inserted... there's even detail on those interior parts! Very impressive.

However, there's some things I don't like. I know some have complained about the QC on paint jobs... The store had 3 of them, and all looked like they had decent paint (it's nicely weathered and lined, a first for a US RX-78), but all three had crooked V-fins. Also, the head design is one of the worst I've seen on an RX-78-2 to date... It's got the same bulbous proportions as the Ver. Ka but not quite as good looking. The head is really the worst part on this toy.

But all in all it's a good deal for what you get for your $19.99 (I think that's the price isn't it?).

I just can't wait to get my hands on the Gelgoog.

Here's a little Gundam song to finish off this post, sung to the tune of Strongbad's song "TROGDOR" from the "Strongbad Sings and other type hits" album.

GUNDAM!!

GUNDAM!!!

Gundam was a man!

I mean, he was a Robot Man.

Or maybe he was just a Robot.

But he was still...

GUNDAM!!

GUNDAM!!!

Burninating the countryside.

Burninating all the Zakus

Burninating all the Zeons

In the spaceborne colonies!!

Spaceborne colonies!!

(guitar solo)

When all the land is in ruin.

And burnalition has forsaken the countryside.

Only one guy will prevail.

My money's on...

GUNDAM!!

GUNDAM!!!

And the GUNDAM comes in the NIIIIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTTT!!!!!!

:lol:

Vostok 7

What, no pics? <_<

Review sounds good! I can't wait for my supplier to get his stocks.

lol you know me, I'll promise you I'll get picts in a couple days, then wait for a couple weeks for the topic to die without picts.

It's the Vostok 7 way. :lol:

No, I'll get picts when I get a chance. The head is so ugly it hasn't inspired me to do any cool poses. Target used to have the AE Wing Gundams around... Maybe I should look around for one and swap heads or something :blink:

Vostok 7

i kind of agree about the comments on the head.  Its the only thing stopping me from picking one up.

If there was some way I could mod it I would, but it's an off scale (I think... Maybe 1/100? off for Gundams that's for sure) so it's not like I can just pull one off something else :angry: .

I'm really waiting to see what they do (if they ever do) for the RX-79[G] Ez8. I've never been a huge fan of the RX-78-2 (I know, sacrelige). I wish they would have done some toys here in the states based on the Origin versions... Imagine Arch Enemies RX-78-02 and MS-06 Zaku Char... mmm. I still wish they had done a toy based on the RX-78-01 from Origin with that sweet shoulder cannon.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

How about the Kado Senshi?  That's probably the best without going PG.

The Kado Senshi was OK, but the joints did seem a bit more fragile than I would have liked. Perhaps a better 'toy' would be the 'Gundam the Origin' PVC/ABS figure. It's 1/144 scale, largely based on the Kado Senshi and even has better joints and detailing in some places. The face sculpt is also similar to the AE Gundam - like a blend of old-school Ohkawara with Katoki'd slickness. Downside of course is the material... PVC is bad news in the tropics. I'd definitely prefer more ABS than PVC... the AE Gundam seems 'just right' for me.

Edited for HLJ link.

Edited by drifand

Fragile joints in the Kado Senshi?  Which ones do you have in mind?  I had mine since it came out and it has yet to break.  The worst thing that can happen is if you over bend the torso the lower half of the Core Block can pop out, but you just pop it right back in and nothing breaks.

- The ball joints for the shoulders are plastic on plastic, and look just like the same material on the breakage-prone NMM Turn-A.

- The 'full-kneeling' pose requires some very careful jiggling of the torso block - force the issue and you may find yourself holding a broken toy. More likely scenario: You can't achieve the pose.

If your toy is problem free, congrats! I had to modify the torso block on mine. Definitely not one of my favorite chogokin toys. The KS Zaku fared much better.

Edited by drifand

How about the Kado Senshi?  That's probably the best without going PG.

The Kado Senshi was OK, but the joints did seem a bit more fragile than I would have liked. Perhaps a better 'toy' would be the 'Gundam the Origin' PVC/ABS figure. It's 1/144 scale, largely based on the Kado Senshi and even has better joints and detailing in some places. The face sculpt is also similar to the AE Gundam - like a blend of old-school Ohkawara with Katoki'd slickness. Downside of course is the material... PVC is bad news in the tropics. I'd definitely prefer more ABS than PVC... the AE Gundam seems 'just right' for me.

Edited for HLJ link.

I ordered it because that`s the only 1/144 Gundam figure with a reasonable price and I know it`s impossible to find the Kadoh-Senshi version.

I got the MSIA 2nd version of RX-78 and it rocks, BTW Toy Box DX reviewed Kahen-Senshi ZZ and they gave it an excellent review and they say it`s a must buy !

http://www.toyboxdx.com/set-rumble.html