Super SpaceFortess Macross Arcade Project

Stampeed Valkyrie

I am finally getting off my arse and putting my Macross PCB into something other then the cardboard storage box that has been its home for 20+ years.

I got the PCB from here of all places back in 2001-2002ish and other then every now and then taking it out,  plugging in a JAMMA adapter to a TV and having a go at it that was it.

A visit to a fellow MWers residence to pickup unrelated items and he had a dedicated cab for this.. and it lit the fire.

My original plan was to convert an Arcade 1up cab into a Macross theme'd cab using emulation,  after some research and some discussions with others the overall cost would have put me very close to just actually doing an Arcade cab...  so..

Arcade prices going bonkers I figured its probably now or never before a cab I can use becomes unobtanium for a reasonable price.

Starting point..

I located an "Aero Fighters" in a fairly good overall condition Dynamo HS-5 cab locally.    Not perfect but a very good starting point.

337011795_776909516965990_7787280599396686180_n.jpg.ddd1a9c06eae8fd6774e4d287eb8abe8.jpg

337017876_588671709843631_5959812060395172761_n.jpg.6fafb5308ad7ba14257e59769401f154.jpg

Other then being REALLY DIRTY,  my biggest gripe is button placement which will eventually be corrected.

Started with the monitor and glass bezel and the amount of greenish yellow whatever that was came off in droves,   smoke residue?

Then out came the shop vac and cleanup began on old spider webs and other critters of its past life.      I got lucky and found a Dynamo registration card and the Aero Fighter Instruction manual.

337031424_680769787072365_1538946018308846670_n.jpg.29a801352148cf3e9c80940f35040a33.jpg

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie

Next some shots of the innards pre cleanup.

Control Panel,   not sure if I am going to keep the original,  as hole placement needs to be addressed.    At best I will need to strip and powder coat the metal backer and template.

337024320_770493774677153_1712690871070182293_n.jpg.33d6145e46a36ea570eede4b6cbcc0c9.jpg

Then the other areas worth noting..

Aero Fighters PCB..  needs a cleanup pretty dusty.

337241149_1657218661418569_1469602006603550357_n.jpg.c082dec002e0d287107b5d8750891fcc.jpg

Powersupply,   I think this is original.   I hit outputs with a meter and its still running within spec.. so it stays.  

I am curious what the transformer is doing,  not sure if the monitor needs it or if its for the Marquee..   anyone have any ideas?

337100993_207283718650798_2412751135885910853_n.jpg.60bc82d62a4b47943d7d473c903fddf0.jpg

And lastly monitor controls..

337150360_668534645043217_3310188610899831020_n.jpg.34a84b0519e70ae98da7006315681b09.jpg

I had to make some minor adjustments to get the monitor to work properly,  but it appears to be pretty solid.     A cap kit might be needed down the road but right now its acceptable AS-IS.

I have the Macross PCB installed,  and have some video on FB  game does play but needed to be tweaked abit wit some dip switch settings.

Joysticks appear to be solid,  buttons are sticky as to be expected and I have replacements coming in short order.  

I am going to try and save as much of the original Aero Fighters Art as I can,   the Marquee is a lost cause,  vinyl is old and cracked,  however bezel cards are faded but in good shape overall.  

Next is what to do about Art for the Macross conversion.     I'd like to start with the Marquee so I can close that up,   I have seen Fabtek's art and I am very meh about it.

I figured someone else has done this already and may have some art or a good source scan for a marquee.      Then next is the monitor Bezel,   I was able to locate some english instruction cards that I may put here,  but I am wondering if maybe some additional art would look nice.

Lastly is the control panel.     No idea.    I could even really go down the rabbit hole and do some side art.

I look forward to seeing how this progresses! The fabktek art is a it weird, I agree. I do like the original Banpresto art
image.png.832c5fe0bbf7d0956c9de529ee5340cf.png

I'd love to see a custom variation where you could have video scenes from the movie playing during the levels, like in an extra monitor like this Tron game.

image.png.7fca564ec94c551b832f40c3ecf52864.png

One of the regulars over at BYOAC did a dedicated SSFM conversion with his own art some years back and documented the build in this thread. Same unit and builder appears in the YT video below.  Given that you're already launching into your own project you've probably already found Yotsuya's example on the web, but figured it was worth posting just in case you hadn't. Like you, he was not that impressed by the official conversion kit art materials.

@Shawn  Jeesh... no pressure or anything... lol      I do like the Banpresto Vintage artwork,  I'd like to try and find a cleaned up scan of that,  maybe use it for artwork on the sides of the monitor bezel.      I did get pretty good scans of the english instruction cards thanks to items Yotsuya posted.

@Hiriyu Yeah I have been trying to reach out to him to see if he has any of the art he used.    I am not looking to replicate exactly what he did,   I have some ideas but right now I am focusing on the Marquee,  control panel art and monitor bezel.     Side panel art will involve ALOT more work and how far down the proverbial rabbit hole does one go?

With that said.. I tore the control panel apart, since button configuration was really getting to me..   and I found Swiss Cheese..

HS5ControlPanel.jpg.42bf5a5a2ddebd786b2705c0ab475736.jpg

This drove home the past lives of this cab..   This next picture is showing the Plexi overlay with button placement.    

ControlPanel2.jpg.da2f059ffb5cfa6a54d0f04ea515929b.jpg

You can see how some buttons are completely unsupported.     Not 100% on if I am going to try and save this.     Or just order a replacement.. 

So doing some messing around with my MS Paint Skillz..

I found a way I could save this..  on the fence about it.    P1 has pretty much ALL the room,  and P2 feels like its hanging off the right side..    Max Deserves better if you ask me..   X marking joystick positions.    

HS5ControlPanelProject.jpg.12bdc5da7f55225c770925473b7971be.jpg

Cheers, Stampeed Valkyrie. I'm very enthused to get to follow along with your project! The Dynamo cab is really a great basis for it. Please keep the updates coming.

On the control panel, I don't think the swiss cheese factor is all that bad - the buttons don't need a ton more local support than a plexi overlay will provide on it's own, and it looks like you've still got some metal under them. I like your idea to shift the controls over to the right a bit and to tighten up the button spacing. I'd see how much panel flex you get with the sticks mounted where you've projected them in those large openings - I'll bet it works out fine with the existing panel.

Aero Fighters is a fun shmup in it's own right, have you tried running that pcb too?

On 4/1/2023 at 6:56 PM, Hiriyu said:

Cheers, Stampeed Valkyrie. I'm very enthused to get to follow along with your project! The Dynamo cab is really a great basis for it. Please keep the updates coming.

On the control panel, I don't think the swiss cheese factor is all that bad - the buttons don't need a ton more local support than a plexi overlay will provide on it's own, and it looks like you've still got some metal under them. I like your idea to shift the controls over to the right a bit and to tighten up the button spacing. I'd see how much panel flex you get with the sticks mounted where you've projected them in those large openings - I'll bet it works out fine with the existing panel.

Aero Fighters is a fun shmup in it's own right, have you tried running that pcb too?

I went to media blast the control panel and my compressor took a dump, got about halfway done with it..    So add another to this project.. lol.

As for Aero Fighters..  I was more familiar with the Japanese version which I think was called Sonic Wings.    It had several endings and changes to levels.     Aero Fighters seemed to have removed quite abit of content.

Fun Facts about Aero Fighters..  8 characters can be chosen with each having their own story lines and endings.     There only appears to be 1 final Boss.. a Space Monkey as opposed to 3 possible final bosses depending on who you chose and how well you did.    

8 levels total with the first 4 being randomly chosen each play through. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sloooooow on my part,  but not in any hurry either.

I got the new Control Panel in..  its pre drilled for SF2 setup,   but this works for me,   just need to decide where I want to place the 2 buttons for each player.   My only complaint is that it had a fairly large paint knick on the underside visible from the outside but near the coin door.    I probably would have made a big deal out of it,  if it was in a more obvious location,  however I used a paint pen for touch up and it looks like its passable.

I have been chasing a phantom issue with the coin acceptors,  the right one works 100% everytime,  and the left one now takes coins,  but does not register a credit.   Been at it with a meter and everything is testing out..  its wierd.

newcontrolpanel.jpg.e862575d061bba01c8cdcf9d5818c074.jpg

3 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

I have been chasing a phantom issue with the coin acceptors,  the right one works 100% everytime,  and the left one now takes coins,  but does not register a credit.   Been at it with a meter and everything is testing out..  its wierd.

Is there a mechanical component involved?

Ie: the coin forces a lever to move, and that lever pushes down into something (a 'touchpad') that activates the electrical switch?  If so, what is the state of that touchpad and does it register when the lever touches it?

On 3/29/2023 at 9:47 AM, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

I am curious what the transformer is doing,  not sure if the monitor needs it or if its for the Marquee..   anyone have any ideas?

It's an isolation transformer for the monitor.  They're important on old CRT monitors to protect your PCB and prevent electrical shocks.  Definitely keep it.

Looks like a great project!  And I'm glad you were able to find a replacement for that control panel! 

• 1 month later...

....  and the coin mech phantom problems persist.

The mechanism is a coin co version similar to this. 

As I stated previously I have 2 issues.. 1 I think is wiring,  and the other is Mechanical in nature.

The mechanism randomly gets tokens stuck in the mechanism,  they get hung in the brass cradle or just after it.   I have adjusted and lubricated several parts but the issue is random,  could be fine today,  tomorrow, maybe next Saturday.   Then bam its back again. 

The Electrical has to do with how credits are not getting registered after the coin falls past the relay switch after clearing the mechanism itself and falling into the bucket.

I have tested the relay and its good,  power is showing proper 5VDC and ground is good for common.     I think the problem is with the wiring harness for the cabinet itself.

My next step is to get a meter and test the harness for the P2 coin circuit,  possibly try to hunt down a wiring schematic for this cabinet assuming it has not been bubba'd.

2 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

(...)

The mechanism randomly gets tokens stuck in the mechanism,  they get hung in the brass cradle or just after it.   I have adjusted and lubricated several parts but the issue is random,  could be fine today,  tomorrow, maybe next Saturday.   Then bam its back again. 

(...)

It sounds like the parts may be worn down.  Ie the axle wobbles, and when the part goes out of alignment it gets stuck.

Is there any excessive "wiggle" in the parts?  Can you restore the metal parts with something like the modellers use here on wobbly joints (for example clear nail polish)?  Are there any perishables (eg rubber grommets) that are breaking down?

So I removed the mech,  quick overview..   1.) coin drops in here   2.) Sort Mechanism checks for weight and size.   coin then decends down ramp towards the sticker.  3.) Accepted coin chute  4.) Rejected coin chute.            The arrow is showing the adjustment screw for the magnet that "supposedly" slows the coin down during its path between #'s 2  and 3 or 4.

The mechanism itself is very simple,  I seem to be getting coins stuck in the chutes..  first was the "ramp" so I adjusted the magnet and that seems to have stopped.    Now I am getting them stuck in the acceptance chute.     Apparently there is a bumper it hits and I wonder if that is what is doing it.  

coinmech.jpg.bd1b63aac92a21827ceff55dc25eb0a6.jpg

So the coin Mech, is going the way of the trashbin.    I have a friend who is sending me a replacement mechanical unit.   I did some of the adjustments that the Vendor recommended and it still just Randomly decides to reject or Jam with no obvious culprit.

The next specter to hunt down is why the Coin 2 does not register a credit.    As I said previously the relay is working on both coin slots,  but only registers on P2.    I brought the meter out and I do have continuity on Both C1 and C2 circuits.     The coin counter also does not register on C2,  without digging into the box further I am scratching my head.

I am taking a WIN for today,  both issues with the coin box are resolved.    Original coin acceptor was completely out of calibration,  another one of my friends was able to take the unit apart,  reassemble and then locate what was wrong and adjust accordingly.

As for the electrical gremlin,   I cheated.   I ran both relays in series and now it registers no matter which slot you used.      I figured that is easier then tearing into the cabinet and trying to undo some whackery in the wiring.

so today I get a..

Excited Ric Flair GIF