Huge bummer. While I didn't love the Animated aesthetic (I actually think it's fine, but I never felt the exaggerated style translated into three-dimensional toys) the story was excellent, and really a breath of fresh air after the very aimed-at-japanese-grade-schoolers writing of RiD and the Unicron Trilogy.

I never met nor spoke with Derrick, but like many other artists who've had a strong impact on a show or franchise that I like, I appreciated his contribution with extreme gratitude. I didn't start off as a fan of Derrick's art direction, but between the visuals and Marty Isenberg's incredible storytelling, I quickly embraced Animated as one of my favorite entries in the TF Universe. I'm also a big fan of the toys that the show spawned, and greatly lament that neither fourth season, nor its toys, ever came to pass.

Alas, Derrick was more than just an artist, and by all accounts he was a talented, fun guy who defended his work on his own behalf and the behalf of his fans. He himself was a fan, especially of Ben 10, for which he also contributed, and it makes me happy that as an artist, he had that opportunity to work on something for which he had a deep passion. My heart goes out to his family, friends, and fellow fans, for such a profound and untimely loss. Wherever he is now, I hope he's wearing an Omnitrix and enjoying the heck out of it.

• azrael locked this topic