Odd thought.....

darkranger12

2 hours ago, darkranger12 said:

Dunno if this fits Macross TV or SCI Fi general but, I was wondering how would hyperspace drives effect travel in Macross? If you were in an area where theres a few fold faults could you by pass this with a hyperdrive?

Whose "hyperspace drive"?  That term is used by a lot of different sci-fi titles and performs differently in each.

In Macross, space folding is already traveling via the higher dimensional spacetime broadly analogous to (and sometimes translated as) "hyperspace".  It differs from a hyperdrive in, say, Star Wars in that the ship is not physically sailing through that higher dimension.  Instead, the ship is using gravity control to bridge two points in realspace by compressing the higher dimension space between the two points until their respective coordinates overlap and then pushing the ship into and out of that collapsed higher dimension space to cirumvent the distance between Point A and Point B without actually moving at all.  (Some Japanese publications refer to this as "exchanging" the space, with the implication the fold actually causes two volumes of space to violently switch places along with everything in them.)

I'd assume that if the dimensional distortion of a fold fault is enough to knock a folding ship out of higher dimension space that it'd probably do something equally unpleasant to another other kind of stardrive tapping the same higher dimension to get around.

8 hours ago, darkranger12 said:

Dunno if this fits Macross TV or SCI Fi general but, I was wondering how would hyperspace drives effect travel in Macross? If you were in an area where theres a few fold faults could you by pass this with a hyperdrive?

I agree with Seto, and would like to add my own commentary:

Things like "warp drive", "hyperdrive", "jump space" and "subspace" are all differing methods of using a higher/ lower space to that effect. With warp drive, it's creating a bubble of "subspace" around the ship that behaves differently than normal space, allowing superluminal flight. Hyperdrive is just the same thing really, and "jumps" (BSGR) would be more like fold ops in Macross.

A fold fault (at least the way I understand it) is an intense, localized distortion that is most likely distorting multiple higher/lower layers and dimensions to the point of manifesting into real space ("A Fold Fault (フォールド断層 Fōrudo Dansō) is a phenomenon that interferes with the physical dimension (real space/three dimensional space", https://macross.fandom.com/wiki/Fold_Fault ), preventing any ships/ craft using fold from performing safe fold ops there. It's kind of like trying to use a different road to get around a sinkhole, but the sinkhole is making the ground under all the possible routes in that immediate area impassable.

On 12/14/2021 at 9:52 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Whose "hyperspace drive"?  That term is used by a lot of different sci-fi titles and performs differently in each.

In Macross, space folding is already traveling via the higher dimensional spacetime broadly analogous to (and sometimes translated as) "hyperspace".  It differs from a hyperdrive in, say, Star Wars in that the ship is not physically sailing through that higher dimension.  Instead, the ship is using gravity control to bridge two points in realspace by compressing the higher dimension space between the two points until their respective coordinates overlap and then pushing the ship into and out of that collapsed higher dimension space to cirumvent the distance between Point A and Point B without actually moving at all.  (Some Japanese publications refer to this as "exchanging" the space, with the implication the fold actually causes two volumes of space to violently switch places along with everything in them.)

I'd assume that if the dimensional distortion of a fold fault is enough to knock a folding ship out of higher dimension space that it'd probably do something equally unpleasant to another other kind of stardrive tapping the same higher dimension to get around.

This overlapping still seems to appear sometimes as if the ship is traveling through some hyperspace-like medium, not a Battlestar Galactica style transposition, which is what I would more expect it to be from your description. (Mac Plus Isamu with fold booster, Sheryl's ship in MacFront, etc)

*Intentionally tosses a beer keg in the soup* Can you describe how similar (or dissimilar) Gestam Jump Navigation from SBY 2199 is to Dimensional Fold travel?

10 hours ago, aurance said:

This overlapping still seems to appear sometimes as if the ship is traveling through some hyperspace-like medium, not a Battlestar Galactica style transposition, which is what I would more expect it to be from your description. (Mac Plus Isamu with fold booster, Sheryl's ship in MacFront, etc)

Yeah, the visual effect for a space fold has changed a bunch over the years... though the description hasn't.  There have been a few really odd moments like the Protoculture ruins on Uroboros using miniature fold effects as a point-to-point teleportation network for people (ala Star Trek's transporters) or the portal network maintained by the ruins in Delta.

One can assume there are probably some pretty weird visual artifacts caused by bending the everloving hell out of 10+ dimensional spacetime.

41 minutes ago, TehPW said:

*Intentionally tosses a beer keg in the soup* Can you describe how similar (or dissimilar) Gestam Jump Navigation from SBY 2199 is to Dimensional Fold travel?

As I understand it, the Gestam Jump navigation from Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is sort of like a hyperdrive... though instead of propelling the ship into, and through, a separate sub-universe the ship is instead moving via the 4th dimension in realspace.  IIRC, space as viewed in the 4th dimension is curved into waves and is in motion.  When two points in the universe are at the peak of a wave at the same time and you can draw a straight line (4th dimensionally) between them, a wave motion engine can produce a tachyon wave to push the ship from the peak of one 4th dimensional wave to another and effectively circumvent all the 3 dimensional space in the "valley" between the peaks in the 4 dimensional waves.

(That they have to wait for their current location and target destination to be aligned 4th-dimensionally is the reason they can only jump at certain times... and jumping at the wrong time can have disastrous consequences.)

Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross copied the Yamato "warp" pretty much whole cloth for its own setting as well... though it was more concerned about the things that could go wrong if you screw up a jump (intentionally or by accident) like screwing up spacetime around the ship or launching yourself thousands of years backwards in time.