Far Cry game demo

bsu legato

http://www.farcry-thegame.com/uk/index.php...hangesite=flash

Has anybody downloaded the new Far Cry demo yet? Although it's not a franchise game like Doom 3 or HL2, Far Cry looks to be the first of the "next generation" first person shooters. The story, it seems, is pretty generic. You play as some kind of former spook/spec op/whatever guy, who just wants to run your island tour business. But as we all know from the movies (and video games) that's really boring, so you get involved in some nasty business on a tropical island. But that's just window dressing for the actual game. Like all of the newer game engines promise, Far Cry is capable of rendering huge, huge areas. The game demo takes place on the aforementioned tropical island. That's right, the entire island. No more invisible walls or conveniently places debris blocking you off from other areas. You can literally explore the width and breadth of the island. As I scaled one of the mountains in the demo level, I could gaze down into the valley below me with no graphical hickups whatsoever.

I only had an hour with the demo last night (the download finished around 1:00 am) but I was already impressed with the AI of the enemy. They actully respond to the situation, and don't appear to be scripted in the least. The official site describes the AI as...

Autonomous A.I. make realistic decisions based on observations of the current state of the world. These highly-trained mercenaries are designed to utilize environmental features, attack in groups, divide & conquer, respond to player actions, and call in reinforcements from air, land or sea.

Alternativley, if you decide to "Solid Snake" your way around the level like I did, you end up living significantly longer.

It's a long download, but I highly recommend it.

Edited by bsu legato

It's impressive. I haven't played the demo yet (dling now) but the screen shots certainly look impressive.

How long is it taking for you? There must have been hundreds of people connected last night when I was DL'ing it.

I can see a lot of mods being made for this one. The first level alone would make an interesting Vietnam game. I just hope the multiplayer includes all of those vehicles. I'm actually inclined to go back to deathmatch-style gaming for this one, provided I can round up my gaming cronies for a weekend. Of course, they'll just want to "prone" up on a hill somewhere with the sniper rifle. <_<

This demo is stunning. Really fun and engaging. The graphics are just beautiful.

If you have a monster PC and graphics card, it looks sweet. The details are amazing, from the tremendous draw distance, to the sniper sight showing what it "sees" even when not zoomed in. And the gunboat is awesome.

Definately worth the 500MB(!) download. I'll be buying this one just for its beauty.

I'm not going to download the demo because if the game is really that good... it will suck to not be able to finish it. :lol:

Nah...you should download it anyway. From what I've been reading today, half the fun is exploring the island after you've killed all of the enemies. There's lots of easter eggs (like a rotten WW2 Zero crashed in the jungle) and stealable vehicles. But even if you don't DL it, the street date should be within the next couple of months.

Doom 3 and Half Life...? Well, the less said about those two, the better. I don't want to tempt fate into giving us yet more delays. :lol:

Well, I'm sold! I just watched the various trailers on the official site, and after playing the demo last night I am definitely buying this game. Be sure to check out the game engine demo, particularly the part where they demonstrate how easy it is to create levels. You actually can build it in realtime and play it right away to see how it works. Astounding stuff! :o

Just played for a few minuites and I have to say I am FLOORED by this game.

Last game that impressed me this much and had this much depth was Trespasser... This game is almost the same, but there's much more richness and realisim and detail.

It has it's faults... Obviously, it's way too graphically intensive (I have a 3.0ghz P4 with 256mb DDR ram and a GF4 and it still brought my comptuer to a standstill, but I have it set on very high graphics)... but damn is it pretty. The AI is interesting, but I can see it has faults. On the other hand, if someone is hiding, it's very tough to find them.

The interactivity is on a level I haven't seen since Trespasser as well. Very impressive.

I can't wait for the full version. And to explore the whole island.

Vostok 7

Finished the demo.

I'm absolutely impressed. The body physics need to be touched up a bit (they're not quite Halo level yet) but overall I really really like this game.

I'm sold... I'm getting the full version. I can only imagine what the multiplayer would be like. All those plants... And Abombz, you'll be happy... there's a rocket launcher :lol:

Vostok 7

demo is great, but I can't get the zoom to work on the sniper gun, I changed to all kind of different keys, but it doesnt work.

There's a keyboard command to toggle the "zoom" function. I don't recall what the default was for certain, but it may have been "m." Once you activate it, you can zoom the scope just like the binoculars.

This game seems cool, but the controls are wierd. It feels almost comparable to a console shooter. I just have a lot of trouble getting the guns accurately pointed at enemies. No matter how much I fiddle with the sensitivity, either it feels sluggish or not accurate enough. It feels, I'm not sure how to describe it, kind of like trying to do presicion work while wearing thick gloves, you know?

This game seems cool, but the controls are wierd. It feels almost comparable to a console shooter. I just have a lot of trouble getting the guns accurately pointed at enemies. No matter how much I fiddle with the sensitivity, either it feels sluggish or not accurate enough. It feels, I'm not sure how to describe it, kind of like trying to do presicion work while wearing thick gloves, you know?

very true, hehe, I thought it was just my hardware, but maybe not.

Hey has anyone noticed that the release date of HL2 has slipped to July 1st?

No suprise. I don't pay attention to release dates very much. I cannot recall one high profile game that came out on the first announced release date. These days, the high profile games tend to disappoint in one way or another. They are either too short, don't run well on anything but the latest hardware, or over hyped. HL2 looks to be a sure thing but I can wait. There are plenty of good games out now and to come. Far Cry looks pretty good. I saw some screen shots and was amazed at the level of detail with all the plants and trees. I just hope it will run well on my machine. Right now, it is choking on Deus Ex 2.

Bblarrgh!! :angry:

I really shouldn't be so shocked. That's what I get for getting my hopes up like that. But I checked EB Games webstore, and they still list the street date as March 31st. I wonder if GameStop is just getting nervous and moving the street date out. It'd all be so much easier if Valve would just tell the world what's going on.

Bblarrgh!! :angry:

I really shouldn't be so shocked. That's what I get for getting my hopes up like that. But I checked EB Games webstore, and they still list the street date as March 31st. I wonder if GameStop is just getting nervous and moving the street date out. It'd all be so much easier if Valve would just tell the world what's going on.

I'm surprised your guys were surprised at that. The way I see it.... I won't be alive anymore, by the time Halflife2 gets released. <_<

The whole source code theft was nothing by a way of covering the fact that Valve would never be able to release the game they promised back in September. <_<

I dl'd it as well, but the water isn't cool and shiny like in the pictures, even on high graphics- is there something in the options menu to turn this on, or does the demo jus not get the cool shiny water.

Reflective water isn't enabled. However, there's a mod available somewhere that enables it. There are also mods, by the way, to allow you to get around to the areas where the helos usually kill you, and one that enables the hang glider and the humvee.

The whole source code theft was nothing by a way of covering the fact that Valve would never be able to release the game they promised back in September. <_<

I never did understand how an imcomplete code theft set developers back so much. As far as I know, no work was lost and it's not like they are going to redo the whole game.