The Anime Q&A Thread

areaseven

I downloaded a whole bunch of anime during the past week. Unfortunately, because of both work and school, I won't be able to watch them for a while. Just wondering if anyone here has seen these titles:

Da Capo

Firestorm

Ikki Tousen

Ultra Maniac

Also, I'm currently watching eps. 1-5 of Urda. Once I'm done, I'll post a review later this week.

Ikkitousen is the only one I've seen on that list.

The best way to describe it is fan-service galore. Seriously. Bouncing breasts and panty shots abound here. Often times it borders on being hentai.

Plot-wise, it seems fairly standard fare: girl is a descendent of a powerful fighter, girl goes to a new place, people want to fight girl, girl fights people, girl is also fairly dumb and hijinks abound!

Not exactly top-notch anime, but it kept me amused to some degree. I give it about a 6.5 out of 10 so far, as there are only a few episodes out anyways.

link to someone else's review and character guide

Edited by soulDistortion

I love Da Capo! It's like a fantasy/sci-fi/comedy drama basically. (good animation, love the cast of characters and an odd, but fun, story)

The only thing that sucks about it (for me at least), is that half of the show (about 12 minutes) is comprised of 2 songs. 1 is a song/music video performed by the seiyuu (voice actor) of a character and the one after it is the uber-long ending credits.

So basically, the show is like 15 minutes, and the extra stuff after it is like 10. @_@

ikkitousen - pure fan service with some street fighting. if you dont like fan service dont watch this. i happen to enjoy it b/c i like gratitious t/a shots.

ultra maniac - i love this series. its a magical girl/romantic comedy that is actually funny and doesn't take itself too seriously. Nina is a girl who comes from the magical kingdom to earth in search of 5 Holy Stones. along the way her wacky friends from the magical kingdom come and wreak havoc and mayhem.

haven't gotten around to seeing the others.

urda was ok but i'm not a fan of cg anime.

urda was ok but i'm not a fan of cg anime.

From what I've been told, each episode of Urda is a 5-minute commercial for a new home-based animation software.

Speaking of CG, I took a look at Firestorm's opening sequence. Lots of GONZO-type CG animation. And because it was created by Gerry Anderson and John Needham, the mecha designs use a lot of influence from Thunderbirds. Plus, the opening's got a cool '80s-style new wave theme song.

uh yeah i'ld say so. the chicks in air master are fugly. ikkitousen is much more pleasing on the eye. although air master has some interesting fight scenes ikkitousen has more of an ongoing plot.

EDIT: when viewed as a comedy this series (air master) isn't too bad.

Edited by MrDisco

OT:

Have you watched Samurai Deeper Kyo? I've watched only the first 3 episodes and still going nowhere. Too many characters introduced in just three eps. :blink:

Hey areaseven. How about sharing a list of your recomended anime titles to us? :)

• 2 weeks later...
OT:

Have you watched Samurai Deeper Kyo? I've watched only the first 3 episodes and still going nowhere. Too many characters introduced in just three eps.

From what I've hear, SDK doesn't go anywhere until the last four epsiodes, but by then you've probably lost any interest in the series long before that.

• 1 month later...
Well, if I remember correctly, Anime On DVD also liked Blood: The Last Vampire... Ever since that I haven't given their reviews too much weight.

Exaclty! I remember seeing the Blood DVD at Fry's Electronics (when I picked up a year ago), looking at the cover it seemed to recieve a TON of accolades.

HA! You're not going to fool me again. After two (maybe three) viewings I quickly posted the DVD on E-Bay.

It was too short.....but GREAT eye candy. I guess this is where Quentin Tarantino got HIS inspiration for the O-Ren Ishii flashback scene in KILL BILL. B))

Exaclty! I remember seeing the Blood DVD at Fry's Electronics (when I picked up a year ago), looking at the cover it seemed to recieve a TON of accolades.

HA! You're not going to fool me again. After two (maybe three) viewings I quickly posted the DVD on E-Bay.

It was too short.....but GREAT eye candy. I guess this is where Quentin Tarantino got HIS inspiration for the O-Ren Ishii flashback scene in KILL BILL. B))

My friend bought it for me for Christmas because it looked cool. We watched it and at the end were kinda like "what the hell?" Pretty animation, no substance.

Pretty animation, no substance.

Yeah, we've been getting a lot of that lately:

Blood: The Last Vampire

Metropolis (if you're a Tezuka purist)

Spriggan

Wonderful Days (yeah, I know it's Korean, but the animation is gorgeous)

I finally saw Wonderful Days, bad character designs but other than that the design and animation was awesome. And at least it had something of a plot, but they could have done a lot more with it. And with all the characters and backstory, I think it would have worked better as a short TV show.

Here are a couple anime I heard of that sounds intresting.

Planetes

Gungrave: The Animation

The latter I'm sure you played on the PS2. The game was a decent mindless shooter but I just hope it translates to animation well. The former is about two astronauts that pick up space junk in Earth orbit. That's all I know about Planetes but it piques my intrest. A7 I hope you watch these and post reviews in the future!

~G25

Edited by gerwalk25

Gungrave, looks pretty good from the 2 eps I've seen. From what I've seen I think the series does a extended version of the video game storyline with episodes where it flashes back to Grave wasn't Grave. Looks very good and fills in the story from the game.

• 2 months later...