Customing a 1/60 CF to hold fast packs.

Anubis

I have seen some people around here with 1/60 VF-1 CF's hooked up with fast packs. The regular release has the leg holes, but not the backpack holes needed.

So...

Have you guys that modified it drilled holes into the backpack or swapped out the neccessary part with one from a Super -J, Strike -S, or D? Even better, has someone recast the backpack part with the holes? With GBP armor on the way for my Hikaru -J I would like to rig my CF up with the packs if possible.

Any input or a how-to would be appreciated.

Hi Anubis,

I've looked into fitting the fastpacks to my 1/60 1-A, but haven't yet. I'm not aware of any recasts, though you should be able to find spares (but then need to repaint them of course). Here's a quick and dirty DIY procedure I've thought about doing:

a) Ream fp mounting holes in right leg to match left leg (duh :lol: )

b) Remove/disassemble backpack - pry out screwcaps on top surface to expose the mounting screws. You may need a little glue to set them back in place later.

c) Using a vernier caliper, check the relative slot sizes and positions from a comparable FP valk, then mark slot areas using indelible marker.

d) Use a pointed punch in the center of your rectangular marks to impression a drill pilot hole.

e) Use an undersized drill bit to start your holes.

f) Finish your holes out to match your markings, using a needle file or small rotary file on a die grinder. Be careful here and check fit/alignment at every step.

Voila! FP'd CF

Damn, I never noticed the holes don't line up the same on the legs. Since the GBP armor should be able to accomodate all the 1/60's I was considering taking the backpack of the Hikaru 1J and swapping the piece I need, but that still leaves me fixing the leg holes.

I haven't really wanted to cannabalize the 1J though, and it would leave them with the wrong backpack colors. Though I could repaint that I guess if it's too noticable.

Thanks for the detailed instructions though Hiriyu. Maybe with a Dremel and a lot of courage built up I might give it a try your way. We'll see. The most model work I can do currently is a MG Gundam kit, so I am afraid to ruin it at the moment.

I didn't know that the cannon fodder didn't support fast packs?!?!?

Imagine my suprise learning this fact as I have a cannon I got from opus that is sporting fast packs! I just assumed he swapped valks and that was it. Please forgive my ignorance but aside from the 19a and the 21 I only transformed one yammie 1/60 once before I traded it. What can I say... I'm a 1/55 lover. 1/60 I have a strike, this cannon super, and a max. The really funny part is the max is the one I transformed once and traded... It found its way back to me LOL. Now I have to go get the cannon and actually remove it from the box....

well... It's in a yammie vf-1j super box and fits correctly...

The insert came out of the box just fine...

Do all yammies have a small pile of hands/assorted small bits extra?

Never mind... Looking at the directions I assume the extra bits are normal.

Fast pack boosters were not attached but simply lying on valk...

Leg armor fits fine and legs stay in place but arms look lower than on my 1/55 when fitted properly... Is this normal? Oh wait... I am supposed to use the pegs on the armor, not on the arms...

stupid detachable legs!

uhm.....

drops leg again.....

drops box and spends a few minutes gatering up bits...

curses at directions repeatedly....

uhm...

curses repeatedly at directions in a foriegn language and goes and gets strike from other room.

opens strike...

D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

looks like you need to either swap tail assemblies or modify the existing one to get boosters to mount as it appears that there are holes present in the tail assembly of the strike that are not present on the cannon I have. The leg armor and arm armor seem to fit just fine without mods, though I keep dropping the friggin leg!

spends way to long getting the cannon back into strike box while cursing...

conclusion... IE things I found out...

You will need to modify the tail assembly at a minimum...

I sooooo love my 1/55's

Yammies have detachable legs

I sooooo love my 1/55's

hippies spend much time looking for non-attached parts that fall off.

I would rather work on my spawn-macross customs than do this.

Anybody want to trade a bandai super [or jetfire] for an unmodified cannon in a super box with armor??? :blink:

Edited by kanata67