The Shannara Chronicles - on MTV...

Thom

Was clued into this from SSM. I recall reading the 'Sword of Shannara' many many years ago, as an introduction to Fantasy along with the Dragonlance novels. Seeing this preview, I'm really hoping for many good things from this! Just these first glimpse are exciting!

And if anything, it will give me a reason to watch MTV again...

Same, I started reading the Shannara books and the Dragonlance Chronicles in middle school in the way back time known as the early '90s. I wasn't thrilled when I saw the first promo pic, but the video looks much better. And it's smart that they're starting with Elfstones, probably the best in the series, instead of the LotR-light Sword of Shannara.

Well, it certainly looks very impressive. Great sets, good costumes, pretty good effects. It is good to see that post-technology landscape I remember from the series. But it's all visuals. There's no sense of story or character to be found. Not even sure what tone they are going for, except just the vague "EPIC" that virtually every piece of marketing tries to sell to the consumer for everything nowadays :)

I read through all the books as a young person and remember enjoying them, but I've not revisited the series since. I'm not sure how they would stand up today. Since it's not something I've gone back to and not something that's become a staple of my fandom in the decades since, my guess is they don't hold up well. That, and I don't trust my younger self's lack of taste or a critical eye :)

Edited by Mr March