Happy Birthday to my 1/48th Hikaru

myk

It's been about one year that most of us have had the privelage of being in the company of one of the greatest Macross products (at least for me), and probably the best Macross toy of all time, and I just wanted to see where the rest of you folks are in on this. Did you get the Hikaru '48 when it first came out last year? Is it still intact? Have you sold it? Painted it? Flown it around your house? Has it ended your relationship with your significant other? Has it been to Iraq?

In any case, Happy 1st Birthday 1/48 Yamato Valkyrie.... :lol:

Edited by myk

I bought mine when it first came out too. It's still in very good condition although it's now thoroughly yellowed, I liked how the yellowing is very uniform (unlike the 1/60 yammie) and it gives the valk some nice weathering effect as well.

Overall, the toy has fared quite well - no breakage whatsoever except for the paint chip on the metal hip bars. I still transform it gently every now and then. Good toy.

Yup. For me, the 1/48 VF-1A Hikaru is the original 1/48 yamato VF-1. Despite the more recentl releases, I have a strong desire to keep Hikaru as mint as possible. I did transform it a couple of times (I think less than 10 times) at the beginning, but I now keep him and the low vis in the box in fighter mode. I "play" with my other 1/48's, namely VF-1S Roy and VF-1J Hikaru.

I love my 1/48 VF-1A Hikaru. A truly breakthrough Macross toy.

I got 4 of these suckers... I think I went overboard last Xmas in letting people know what I wanted and got more than I bargained for. I got 2 MIBs, 1 stickered, one stripped of paint.

BoB, one is completly yellowed? All 4 that I have is in perfect condition as far as the plastic. There's got to be somethig in your environment that's doing that to your valks.

Yup, we enjoy 365 days of summer here (I play and display mine everywhere in the house except the loo) and I did a comparison with my 1/48 Roy and Max. The off-white color on my Hikaru looks duller and darker than his buddies'. :D However, the yellowing is so uniform on all the parts, I don't mind it at all.

Btw, I've also compared mine with a colleague's 1/48 Hikaru and his is still pristine white. Wierd. Maybe it's because he only takes it out when the air-conditioning is on.

Edited by Beware of Blast

It was about this last time last year I got mine too. I was completely amazed with it for three months. Then I decided to sell it to buy the VF-1S. I told myself I would buy only one 1/48. Of course now I've ended up with more than that.

It's funny how things work out isn't it. I remember when I got my first 1/60. I was like, this is all I'm going to buy. Yeah right, I can't begin to count how much money I've spent on Macross.

Man, I miss my Hikaru. Wish I wouldn't have sold it now! :(

Got my hikaru 1a when it first came out as well. Mine is happily stickered up with Takatoys custom stickers and gets transformed a few times a week.

So far, no yellowing, no rubber leakage, backpack is intact, no stress marks, paint is still good, no cracked heatshield... I love my 1a!

Thanks yamato!

My Hikaru 1A had a very tough year.

First he was bought by a friend of mine. My friend cast the 1A out of his home and into my arms because the 1A was unworthy. That, and my friend was tight for cash.

The 1A then came into my home, began sleeping late, eating too much, and taking prescription drugs. My prescription drugs, no less. Me and the other assorted Macross, Gundam, and Evangelion mecha from the shelf sat him down and we had an intervention.

The 1A decided to give therapy a try. Now, he's back in time for Christmas, clean and sober. We cry alot, but that's just our way.

Okay, most of that is BS... okay, all of it is... but he's got a pretty dull life. He's just kickin' it on my shelf next to the other Yamatos. I'll ask him how he's enjoying his birthday when I get home.