How to scratch build?

milhouse

Hi all!

I've recently been wondering "how do you scratch build?"

I know the scale is unpopular, but I want to build in 1/100 cos space issues.... so yeah, what kind of materials do you use?

Even if I fail I'd like to give it a shot. I want to build something like a zentradi, or that Gnerl I've seen posted. There isn't enough bad guys in 1/100.

Thanks!
Edited by milhouse

I know this is a generic answer, really it's any material you feel comfortable with, and you'll generally end up using a variety of materials anyway. It all depends on what you want to accomplish.

For example, if I'm scratchbuilding a replacement part for an existing kit or figure, I'll generally use plastic plate. That is, sheets of plastic styrene, the same material model kits are made of. What I do there is approximate the shapes I need, usually by drawing up some sort of template, cut them out of the sheet plastic, and glue them into the basic shape, bulding out the rest of the form with putty.

If I'm making an entire thing new from scratch, or entirely sculpting over a figure, I'll generally go for a polymer clay- either an oven bake material like super sculpy, or a two-part epoxy putty that has to be mixed to use.

If you're more technically inclined, a lot of our artists have taken to plotting things with 3D imaging software and taking it over to the shapeways to produce prototypes that way.

No matter what material you use, the biggest thing is going to be patience, and being willing to take the time to fine tune your work. (Which, in my experience, usually involves about a million years of sanding.)

Best of luck!

Hey Milhouse, I can't post more photos of the builds until my house is repaired, but here's some to help give you an idea:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=41130

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=41133

The most important steps are in the planning and scaling stages. The drawings you see under some of the finished work were printed several times and sized many times until they were just right. Even with a scale ruler and "canon" line art, Macross has a lot of "anime magic" to it. One drawing shows something one way and then another view shows the details another way. Decide AHEAD OF TIME what views and scales you are going to use. Mid-build you will be like, "oh, that's how that really goes!" Your brain will fool you into screwing up!

Like Ace said above, you will make many changes to your parts. I've rebuilt parts three times to get what I'm looking for - so don't rush what you're doing.

I've been surfacing styrene and then supergluing it with clamps. Then finishing off the glued blocks. This has withstood lathing, drilling and machining. Some people use MDF board or Model Board (very costly).

Start with a good plan of all views if possible and then glue them on to the stock. You will need a depth gauge and calipers to ensure thickness and parts line up with parts you can't put right up to the drawing. Your eyes will decieve you. If you don't stick to your drawings, you'll blow it!

I use jigs or machines as much as possible to ensure my cuts are where they are supposed to be and how they are supposed to be. Especially if you need to make more than one of the same thing. Then casting may be a good option, like for missiles or thrusters.

Hopefully what Ace said above and these few humble bits will hellp you out! - MT

Thank you aceoftherebellion and MechTech for your advice.

I often wondered what type of material people used, and now I may have to look into the two-part epoxy (Googled it and Milliput was the first hobby related one I saw).

And now I will have to look at line art and plan and plan and plan and dread sanding and plan and plan! I think the hardest thing to do will be to gauge depth from a 2 dimensional drawing, but, heck, even if it turns out bad at least it will be a start...

Take it as a learning experience. Good and bad.

What I would suggest is to print out or find an illustration of scales. I have one with a person that shows the sizes in the most popular scales.

If you are staying from scratch, I say you don't use epoxy. Instead, use modeling clay or styrene.

Working with wood will require you to buy, or obtain some tools for sanding. There WILL be a lot of sanding, for days, then primer and sanding, then primer and sanding.

Captain America works with modeling board.

Edited by coronadlux

I am no where near as experienced nor skilled as some of the others that will give you advice here, but that might make my input that much more valuable to another beginner.

Coming from years of building plastic models and engaging in lots of kitbashing, I feel most comfortable working with plastic. Plastic is easy to bond, easy to work with, easy to sand, easy to putty...the ideal medium for getting into scrachbuilding.

I hope to soon graduate to working with some sort of foam, as it would greatly ease the creation of streamlined forms when used in combination with a a basic frame (as mentioned above).

Due to my inexperience, the first scratchbuilding projects I tackled have been armor and tanks. Lots of flat angles, nothing that can't be fixed with a little putty and sanding, and easy to transplant surface greebles and chassis parts that might not be worth the effort to manufacture yourself.

I would definitely not start out with anything too challenging. Begin with something that seems easy to build. The areas you'll have trouble with will be surprising, and it'll build confidence and experience for that next project.

For me, standard sets of sheet styrene and plastic rod got me started. How you create your frame, or skeleton, or basic shape is really, I think, wholly dependent on how your mind tackles such things.

As a place to start you might consider using paper model layouts as patterns for styrene. Find a subject you like in paper model form print out the sheets cut out the parts and trace them onto styrene sheets.

It won't be pefectly straightforward, but you'll get a good start and a good idea of what you need to

consider in terms of stucture and support.

As a place to start you might consider using paper model layouts as patterns for styrene. Find a subject you like in paper model form print out the sheets cut out the parts and trace them onto styrene sheets.

It won't be pefectly straightforward, but you'll get a good start and a good idea of what you need to

consider in terms of stucture and support.

That is a really good idea, I used that to great effect the paper was the under chassis of the build and plastic over the top. Plastic can be sanded an filled and made more detailed than paper.

I agree, a paper model would be a good base point. Now to search that out.

I saw some pretty cool stuff on shape ways, so I tried my hand at trying to use a 3-D composition app, and I couldn't even build the gingerbread man.... I thought it'd be faster, but then I'd have to learn all new computer tricks....