Who owns the rights to the Chunky Monkey mold? Takatoku?

Gakken85

I would die to see a Masterpiece version of Jetfire... the original design! Why can't this toy injustice be rectified? Didn't Shōji Kawamori design the Seekers for Takara for the MP line? It would be so amazing to have him in the Takara MP Packaging at about 1/48, since the other MP's are around 1/60, with a different design than the Yamato stuff.

Something a bit more fun in the transformation department than Yamato, yet still fairly complex and high quality.

God, it would be a license to print money!

And we wouldn't get abortions like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transformers-Custom-Masterpiece-Jetfire-/230832692222?ViewItem=&item=230832692222&nma=true&si=ZEy2K4ltfeDHMkR4s8PkRDVkvWI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Where guys are hacking up perfectly good Yamato toys.

I think Bandai owns the rights to the mold and they wont sell the rights to a direct competitor in the transforming robot business (i.e. Takara Tomy).

Also I have do disagree. I think the Jetfire custom on ebay is stupid. Why add the bits of Classics Jetfire when the original from the 80s hast the same pylons, arm guards and face

as the Takatoku VF-1 mold? I admit the paint job looks fantastic but it would look better without the added Transformers parts. Especially since the guns of the back thrusters are cast

in a bendy plastic and tend to get warped. Unworthy of the Yamato VF-1 mold! :)

Yeah, I think it's terrible. And paying 500 bucks for one is a joke. I guess he paid like $50-60 bucks for a blank Yamato 1/60.. and I have no idea how many hours he put into the mods... not that much I'm sure.

Oh from what I've seen it is a good paint job and he modified the toy to a degree. If it's worth $500 has do decide every Jetfire fan for himself. ^_^

But I would not be so rash in dismissing the custom.

Just another reason to hate Bandai.

I honestly don't get that. I wouldn't sell this mode or the if I where Bandai. :)

Besides I doubt that Takara Tomy (an thus Hasbro) are interested in a Masterpiece Jetfire that looks like a Macross Valkyrie. Transformers look like Transformers and not like Valkyries.

Just because we got through curious ways in the 80s a Transformers toy that wasn't a Transformer and didn't look like his animation/comic counterpart doesn't mean it has today any relevance in building brand recognition from Takara Tomy (since they are the company that design the entries in the Masterpiece line).

They even started to develop a own version of Jetfire that incorporates many design characteristic of the 80s toy but interpret them in the Transformers style. They even created a back-story why the toy has a face with a mouth plate (that looks like a VF-1S) and one without (some sort of mind-control helmet where the head lasers are antennas) that looks like the Jetfire from the cartoon. So if a Masterpiece Jetfire will be released it will be oriented on the Transformers design language and art style and most definitely not on something from the Macross universe.

Although Transformers fans are known for their total and utter ignorance (relax guys just kidding :) ) most collector that are into the Takara Tomy Masterpiece line know what happened with the Jetfire toys from the 80s and know that it has nothing to do with Transformers and Jetfire himself. Perhaps most of them would rather have a Masterpiece version of the cartoon Jetfire because they know what a Macross Valkyrie looks like (unlike in the mid 80s). I personally would rather have a cartoon Jetfire as a Masterpiece. I mean why does Jetfire even has a "mid-transformation"-mode (i.e. Gerwalk)? ^_^

Plus if you want a Masterpiece transformation-scheme for the G1 Jetfire Yamato is (or should I say was) the place ho go. The G1 Jetfire wasn't a Transformer to begin with so why not stick to the original? :)

I don't want it too look exactly the same, and I would rather it didn't transform exactly the same, obviously I want a uniquely branded product under the MP line. Gerwalk isn't needed.

Regardless of the toys history, he was a Transformer for a short period of time, and for a lot of people - myself included - he was the first version of a valk we ever saw and has an emotional attachment.

Robotech wasn't on in the states until after Jetfire commercials and cartoons had already aired.

So you want a Masterpiece Jetfire that isn't a Valkyrie?

If so no need to hate Bandai for owning the rights for the old Takatoku toys. ;)

I don't know what it is but the Jetfire toy was never Jetifre for me. Especially now that I know what happened in the 80s.

Do you mind the question if you think that Classics Jetfire is an accurate representation of the character?

the G1 Jetfire / Valk toy is not even a representation of the Jetfire in the cartoon.

So I still don't see why there is so much attachment to the Bandai mold.

Paying 600$ for a modified Yammy is absurd, but with adults and toys, absurdity rules the day.

I don't even want a MP Jetfire, his jet mode was absolute crap.

skyfire4.jpg

Are we talking about Jetfire, the toy, or *Skyfire*, the equivalent character from the cartoon?

There are no inherent design (i.e., structural, mechanical) differences between Jetfire and the Takatoku/Bandai Valkyries. Any differences between the Takatoku design and Jetfire are merely cosmetic (i.e. paint and stickers). As far as I'm concerned, the Yamato toys are masterpiece versions of that particular design. A MP Transformer version would be redundant. I don't think such a thing could even happen anyway, given all the legal issues surrounding Macross to begin with.

If you're talking about a MP Transformer *Skyfire* -- I think the closest they have are these toys (which ironically are named Jetfire even though their design is based off of Skyfire):

http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-81299-Jetfire-Transformers-Voyager/dp/B000IJPJJU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_1

http://www.amazon.com/Classics-Skyfire-Jetfire-Takara-Transformers/dp/B0017IDGQY/ref=sr_1_9?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1363039229&sr=1-9&keywords=skyfire

Yeah, I think it's terrible. And paying 500 bucks for one is a joke. I guess he paid like $50-60 bucks for a blank Yamato 1/60.. and I have no idea how many hours he put into the mods... not that much I'm sure.

It's not a 1/60, it's a 1/48.

As a TF fan also, I really don't even think Jetfire will be a MP character. Look at Takara Tomy(TT) already done with MP, the seeker team, OP, red alert, Prowl, and so on, all those molds are repaintable or are leaders or like soundwave has 5 cassets. Jetfire or sky fire never met those creterias. So if you want a cool MP jetfire, probably modify the Yamato VF-1 is your best choice.