Finally some results!!! Hasegawa VF-1S 1/72

erikos0311

So i figured i would post some detailed pictures of what i think is a finished result!! lol after over 6 months of messing with this 1st ever kit, I can honestly say I am pretty happy with my first build results! Jumped thru lots of hoops and hurdles to get to this result and i cant wait to start another kit out of a little collection I acquired over the months. This is my first post on"Model Kit" and I am open to any kind of criticism and/or advice!

So here ya go! Enjoy.

post-15185-0-23984900-1355303026_thumb.jpg

post-15185-0-72490000-1355303146_thumb.jpg

post-15185-0-89194800-1355303168_thumb.jpg

post-15185-0-02980300-1355303202_thumb.jpg

post-15185-0-81937800-1355303262_thumb.jpg

post-15185-0-93985400-1355303307_thumb.jpg

post-15185-0-81453200-1355303328_thumb.jpg

post-15185-0-89913500-1355303421_thumb.jpg

post-15185-0-39495900-1355303467_thumb.jpg

post-15185-0-71561200-1355303486_thumb.jpg

post-15185-0-51291200-1355303575_thumb.jpg

post-15185-0-72482300-1355303612_thumb.jpg

post-15185-0-40773800-1355303762_thumb.jpg

Much better than my first build!

Are you using any kind of decal solvent/setter? They really obvious on the FAST packs. This is what I use, and really like. I sure as hell don't pay that price for it, though!! I've had one bottle last me about 10 years, now, and that includes accidentally spilling some if it.

Much better than my first build!

Are you using any kind of decal solvent/setter? They really obvious on the FAST packs. This is what I use, and really like. I sure as hell don't pay that price for it, though!! I've had one bottle last me about 10 years, now, and that includes accidentally spilling some if it.

Thanks Jefuemon,

I didn't think they would be that noticeable after some post/shading and some flat clear that I airbrushed after I put on the decals... I used Micro-sol/set to apply all the decals, and I didn't cut the decals as much as i should've .The micro stuff worked like a charm on the Valkyrie. ;) I did see a bottle of setter at my local hobby-store, I'll make sure i give it a try for my next Valkyrie and I for sure cut the decal as much as I can..

I'm guessing you didn't put a gloss coat on before the decals. That's probably what is making the decals stand out. It's called "silvering" and happens because the clear decal film around the edges can't conform to the rough, matte surface of the paint. You can give the whole kit a gloss coat before you apply the decals or you can just apply some gloss coat to the spots the decals will go. Then, after the decals have settled and dried you can go back and give the whole kit a clear flat coat to even out the finish. Many modelers including myself like to use Pledge Future floor polish as a gloss coat. You can brush it or airbrush it straight with no thinning and it is pretty forgiving.

As a whole the kit is really great. You should be proud of your results. I've been modeling for most of my life and I'm always pleased to get results like that. The weathering is nice and subtle. The seam work is very good (fixing seams drives me crazy :wacko: !) And the paint application looks very good and even as well. The decal thing is a pretty easy fix that you shouldn't have any problems improving.

You need a pilot in there though! lol! I always want to see a pilot in a plane with the gears up. How's that thing flying anyway? Remote control? Anyway, that's my own little nitpick. ;)

Great job man, can't wait to see your next project!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing you didn't put a gloss coat on before the decals. That's probably what is making the decals stand out. It's called "silvering" and happens because the clear decal film around the edges can't conform to the rough, matte surface of the paint. You can give the whole kit a gloss coat before you apply the decals or you can just apply some gloss coat to the spots the decals will go. Then, after the decals have settled and dried you can go back and give the whole kit a clear flat coat to even out the finish. Many modelers including myself like to use Pledge Future floor polish as a gloss coat. You can brush it or airbrush it straight with no thinning and it is pretty forgiving.

As a whole the kit is really great. You should be proud of your results. I've been modeling for most of my life and I'm always pleased to get results like that. The weathering is nice and subtle. The seam work is very good (fixing seams drives me crazy :wacko: !) And the paint application looks very good and even as well. The decal thing is a pretty easy fix that you shouldn't have any problems improving.

You need a pilot in there though! lol! I always want to see a pilot in a plane with the gears up. How's that thing flying anyway? Remote control? Anyway, that's my own little nitpick. ;)

Great job man, can't wait to see your next project!

Thanks Jardann,

I guess I didn't use the gloss coat. :blink: lol. Before I did some post shading on the packs, i didn't notice any "silvering". I wanted the Skull decals to blend in a bit more with the packs that i gave them a couple of passes with my airbrush. I have some extra decals in my desk i think later on i will replace the most noticeable ones. Ive learned lots with this 1st Hasegawa kit and ive already started on my first "bashed kit". but before that i will make sure i finish up this kit with a pilot and the weapons set. I'll post pics of the finished kit as soon as i can get to our new apartment..... moving sucks!!! but looking forward to having a second bedroom that i can convert into my own office/workstation/mancave/model shop!!

Oh yeah, moving is rough! We moved a year ago and I'm still trying to organize hobby stuff in the basement. Having a dedicated space will definitely be worth it though. Good luck with the move, can't wait to see more of your work!