Spare parts from HLJ

moose

I recall seeing a post about spare parts. I had asked monkey nugget before about this but he said they are not sending spare parts. I contacted hlj for a backpack hindge for my 1/48 vf-s but have not gotten any replies. Is hlj able to still aquire spare parts from yamato or have they scrapped the whole program. I know the low vis has this problem but maybe not the regular 1/48. thaks

Forget HLJ,

They will reply (in a month...) and tell you they do not have parts anymore. Our best bet for all members here is if someone would recast this part. As a matter of fact, if I knew how to recast, I'd do this part in a heartbeat cause I'd make a fortune with it !

Last time I had to change the hinge, I had to buy a whole new valk and strip it for parts then sold the rest on Ebay.

if i eventually broke a biece of plastic, i'll manage to do that piece in aluminium, with folded aluminium sheet.

or i'll learn how to recast. Depending on the price of the material needed for the casting, i will choose either the first or the second possibility

Trying to find a spare part seems impossible. I'm already happy to be able to buy a full valk, i really don't imagine how to buy a spare part if my supplier (HLJ) is not able to furnish spares.

Maybe you can buy them from Yamato directly, in case they speak english etc... i think we should forget that solution as well ;)

Is it hard to recast? I should go in the "Models" section

if i eventually broke a biece of plastic, i'll manage to do that piece in aluminium, with folded aluminium sheet.

or i'll learn how to recast. Depending on the price of the material needed for the casting, i will choose either the first or the second possibility

Trying to find a spare part seems impossible. I'm already happy to be able to buy a full valk, i really don't imagine how to buy a spare part if my supplier (HLJ) is not able to furnish spares.

Maybe you can buy them from Yamato directly, in case they speak english etc... i think we should forget that solution as well ;)

Is it hard to recast? I should go in the "Models" section

Boy Goonk,

If you are able to recast this part in aluminum, I'll be all over you to buy one for each of my 1/48s this is how it should have been from the start anyways, this piece should never have been made out of plastic in the first time.

I broke mine because my low viz took a 6 feet plunge down one of my shelves so I am glad only this part broke and it was under extreme conditions so I am not mad at Yamato but I keep hearing about some poor bastards that just folded the backpack properly and broke the hinge under very normal conditions therefore I am now terrified to transform my valks.

Anyways,

Any recast in any material would be more than welcome.

I know Monkey Nugget was trying to get parts, but Yamato did not seem very receptive. Someone should bring this up next tiume Graham is meeting with Yamato, maybe we could as him to appeal on our behalf.

I thought about recasting the parts, but the same fragility problems you have with the regular plastic would be worse with resin....unless we could redesign it (perhaps thicken the rings on the backpack hinge) or do it with a stronger material. (or do it, and dont touch it once you replace the part)

It would be nice to see Yamato try and offer these...

There is actually a resin that I have used before that ends up about as strong as keyboard plastic, it is intended for casting plastic gears and such. if there are enough people who need the part and are willing to paint the part I could give it a try........let me know what you guys think.

mike

Forget HLJ,

They will reply (in a month...) and tell you they do not have parts anymore.

That's funny. :blink:

I just received the replacement GU-11 gunpod for my 1/48 Hikaru 1S from Yamato, through HLJ.

I was only asking for the gunpod tip (barrel) since someone in the factory totally forgot to place the tip on the gunpod, Yamato sends me a complete gunpod through HLJ.

It took them 1 day to reply to my email that they will contact Yamato, 5 days to inform me that Yamato has sent them the parts, 2 days when I received the shipping confirmation, and 20 days for the replacement to arrive through ISAL.

Forget HLJ,

I just received the replacement GU-11 gunpod for my 1/48 Hikaru 1S from Yamato, through HLJ.

I was only asking for the gunpod tip (barrel) since someone in the factory totally forgot to place the tip on the gunpod, Yamato sends me a complete gunpod through HLJ.

It took them 1 day to reply to my email that they will contact Yamato, 5 days to inform me that Yamato has sent them the parts, 2 days when I received the shipping confirmation, and 20 days for the replacement to arrive through ISAL.

I'm glad it worked out for you, but thats another thing I don't like about hlj, it just seems totally random on what kinda service you will get. I fall into the waiting a month for reply, them finally saying that they can aquire the parts, then a month later saying they cannot aquire the parts. It just doesnt make much sense to me. Don't even get me started on their uber shipping selections.

Forget HLJ,

I'm glad it worked out for you, but thats another thing I don't like about hlj, it just seems totally random on what kinda service you will get. I fall into the waiting a month for reply, them finally saying that they can aquire the parts, then a month later saying they cannot aquire the parts. It just doesnt make much sense to me. Don't even get me started on their uber shipping selections.

The people working at HLJ are only human. Montarvillois probably e-mailed them when they were extremely busy or just got the resident slacker (every corporation's got one!). :) I'd send multiple e-mails in hopes of getting them at a better time or simply getting the better employee.

You may also want to keep an eye out on the Sales and Auctions forums. Once in a while you'll find Yamato's being sold piecemeal for spare parts.

Here's my story about 'ordering' spare parts from HLJ...

I e-mailed HLJ sometime last month inquiring about how much it would cost for parts BP-7 and BP-8 on a 1/48 Hikaru VF-1A Valk shipped to California (the tabs on the my Valk's backpack hinge broke off) I got a response from them saying it would take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to get the parts and they asked me to e-mail them a confirmation if I wanted to get it. I didn't reply back to them, and just left it at that.

About 1 1/2-2 weeks later I get an e-mail confirmation from HLJ saying that they have processed my 'order' (i.e. charged my CC) and shipped out the parts! (I ordered from them before.) At first I was shocked that they did this without my authorization but when the parts arrived about a week later I was happy that I was now able to fix my Valk properly =) I switched out the broken parts with the new parts, panel lined it, and my Valk was all good again. (In doing this I had to take out the metal pegs/rods that connected the hinged parts together and put them in the new ones...it was very tedious and at the same time kinda scary cuz I thought I might end up breaking the new parts from pressing/pushing the rods into them =P)

All in all, it cost about $24 total (shipped to California) for the two parts to the backpack hinge. Pretty pricey for just two little pieces of plastic (mostly due to shipping), but if you want your already-pricey 1/48 Valk repaired this looks like your best option...

I guess I was 'lucky' to have HLJ get the parts out in a fairly quick turn-around, despite the fact that I didn't confirm the order...but it worked out well =) HLJ was a little too good in this case =P

Edited by MacPnoy74

There is actually a resin that I have used before that ends up about as strong as keyboard plastic, it is intended for casting plastic gears and such. if there are enough people who need the part and are willing to paint the part I could give it a try........let me know what you guys think.

mike

Well,

I'd buy at least 2 just to feel safe. I don't want my low viz nightmare to happen again.

Count me in, and while you're at it, could you recast the TV hands of the VF-1j ? hehe.

Thanks

There were several MW'ers that were lucky enough to get replacement VF-1S head from HLJ.com

But alas, that was several months ago.....I also tried to order replacement parts from them (another S head) and was rejected. It seems that Yamato wasn't going to release certain pieces.

I guess the demand was too high....... :blink::angry:

Actually if you read HLJ's faq about part orders, they tell you up front they will charge the card on file when they locate the parts. It's one of the conditions on placing a parts order with them, that way they can get payment right away and process the parts order with the manufacturer while they can.

mike

Well,

I'd buy at least 2 just to feel safe. I don't want my low viz nightmare to happen again.

Count me in, and while you're at it, could you recast the TV hands of the VF-1j ? hehe.

Thanks

I will definatly be recasting the hands, once I have the 1j hands in my hands (hehe) I may try a size match with some DYRL style square hands.