And yet another Max and Millia fanwork...

the white drew carey

Thanks guys.

I did a lot of studying into how Valks were colored back in the DYRL? days in order to get this right. As usual, there is a ton of stuff I'd like to go back and fix, but what's done is done.

Of course, I have this saved in a large format, too. So if anyone wants a desktop-sized copy, let me know.

There is also a test image done on 14"x17" paper completely in marker, with the most notable differences being the coloring of Millia's hair, more line work on the Valks, and a slightly different pose for Millia's VF-1J. But I'm not sure if I am going to finish that one up (I basically gave it a black background, and have to solidify that which takes up a lot of ink). Maybe I'll post it just to be a completist?

Edited by the white drew carey

I very much noticed the "glossy metal" style shading from the animation. I've tried to replicate it myself, sometimes with really good results, but it's hard to get it right. My greatest success has been the Fan Liner, which will be seen in the next update. You've pretty much got it perfect on your Valkyries in this picture. They look astounding. I'd like to at least do one set - likely the VF-1J Valkyrie - in that style for the profile page on the M3 (Battroid, GERWALK, Fighter). That would be tough, but it would look so damned sweet and it would be something not found anywhere else :)

Nice job TWDC!! Yes, coloring mecha can be quite challenging, particularly if you are going for the "lost animation cell" look as you have so ably captured here. Max's pose is perfect, and I dig Miriya's valk pose, it's very dynamic which is tough to pull off with a machine...that is make it seem dynamic and human, yet believable as a mechanical device. You need to join DA and start to post so I can fave your work bro...

Is that an original pose for her Valk or did you use a reference?

Minor suggestion, I see you used a stock background, or at least it looks like it. I've found some really cool Star Brushes for PS CS4 that are great for painting your own Space Backgrounds. If you are interested I can point you to them or we can chat off line. I'm still working on my own technique, but if you are interested gimme a shout.

~Elf

Thanks TheELF!

Yeah, Millia's valk pose is original and didn't use any references. Because of this, the FASTpacks on the back aren't nearly the right proportions, and the lower right leg looks a little short to me. Max's valk is pulled from someone's CGI build that I pulled off of the net doing an image search. Even still, some of those proportions seemed a bit off to me so I tried to make some adjustments.

Yes! Please point me to those star brushes. In fact, almost everything I use in PS CS4 is stock except for a multifill filter, so if you want to share any tools that you prefer, I'm always all ears!

Also, as you can all probably see, I used a lot of gradients for Max and Millia, but kept the colors on the valks solid with no gradients. As TheELF said, it creates a "lost animation cel" look, but the more modern coloring for the human characters kind of bring it into the new millennium.