First season was great! However...

It was kind of lame that she got her bending back so easy.

It's funny to think that... and correct me if I'm wrong... but all the love triangle business in anime dates back to Macross.

Don't read if you haven't finished the first season.

I think a lot of the issues were resolved due to the uncertainty of the show's return the first season. Amon would have been a better adversary throughout the series.

Spoiler-laden speculation and ideas follow:

Korra really would have been a stronger show if there was a consistent adversary, I think most viewers agree there. While Konietzko and DiMartino try and play it off that the show is about Korra's growth, the reality here is that the show was originally only funded for 12 episodes, and was never planned to go past that. But, when it was immensely popular, Nick funded a second season, with potential for a third, if it went well. And it kind of did, only Nick wouldn't approve it for a TV block, opting instead to air it via online streaming, and they funded both seasons 3 and 4. If the creators had a promise for 3 seasons to start, I think we would have gotten a completely different show, more like TLA. TLA had a small budget for most of its first season, but after it proved it could garner viewership, Nick fully funded seasons 2 and 3, and greenlit the full story.

I think, if Korra had been planned as a 3-season story, we would have seen a more consistent adversary, with more of the characters introduced early on. The Red Lotus would probably have been hinted at in season 1, and fully introduced early in season 2, and the time skip between 2 and 3 would have probably seen much more negative consequences occur. I really think the show would have taken on more of the 3-act epic feel, if it had been greenlit for a full run, rather than as a 12-episode miniseries.

I also think Korra would have regained some of her connection to the previous Avatars toward the end, to help her fight the final boss, as it were, similar to how Aang learned from the Lion Turtle.

Am I the only one who thinks Kuvira was a lame final boss? There's just not the gravitas you see with Ozai or the Emperor and Darth Vader. She's just an ambitious woman with mommy issues, who's using a talented engineer to build her superweapons so she can usurp power after the lame bad guy from the previous season installed a power vacuum.

It's all too circumstantial. There's no sense of destiny, just circumstance. And maybe that's more realistic, but this is a show about people who telekinetically control the 4 elements and commune with the spirits. So I don't think realism was necessary here.

Ultimately, I think Korra is a much more adult story in a lot of ways, but I think it's stymied by its funding structure, and I think it doesn't go far enough in either direction they could have taken it, to really be the same kind of epic that Avatar was.

A few of the early episodes from Book 2 were farmed out to a different animation studio, if I'm not mistaken, and it shows, but it reverts to the better quality animation and the story picks up 1/3-1/2 of the way through. Then, there is the flash back to the first ever Avatar, which is drawn in a different (simpler, and more pastel) style which is a bit jarring at first.

Edited by mechaninac

Woah, so I just finished season 2. I'm kind of blown away that this was on an American kids network.

The art jumped backed up to previous levels with the first Avatar story, and then got even better.

Awesome Kaiju fight at the end!

Also, "You will always hold a special place in the organ that pumps my blood." is my favorite line for sure.

I thought season 2 could have done with some rearrangement of the plot... it stuck a bit in the first 4-5 episodes, but it def got more better toward the end. Still, as good as it was I really liked Amon's story and the cohesiveness of Season 1.

Season 3 is boss so far! Henry Rollins!!

Everything is really well done. We're finding out more and more about each character... except Korra. She isn't really developing much as a person or that interesting.

Finished season 4. Really well done.

I thought the giant plat robot of death wasn't nearly as high stakes as past baddies. Why didn't Korra go into giant spirit form and fight it off? Some of it seemed really forced but the character growth was nice. Cool to see Zaheer again, though I think Amon could take him : p

Meh.. I kinda saw that coming. I guess it's a big deal for a "kids" cartoon for sure. But it's not that amazing really.

Such a canon ship :p

Personally I'd like to see Mako and Lin get together. Where's the love for the MILFS?

It was nice to see Korra develop a bit... it kind of turned into the Beifong show though.

Edited by Gakken85

Meh.. I kinda saw that coming. I guess it's a big deal for a "kids" cartoon for sure. But it's not that amazing really.

Such a canon ship :p

Personally I'd like to see Mako and Lin get together. Where's the love for the MILFS?

It was nice to see Korra develop a bit... it kind of turned into the Beifong show though.

Yeah, it was kind of The Beifong Show for the last season, but I actually really agree with you on the Mako-Lin thing. A friend and I were talking about that, and I think it'd be a pretty good chance for a nuanced romance.

The whole Korrasami thing is pretty groundbreaking for American kids' TV though. I mean, the lesbian couple in Sailor Moon were changed to cousins in the US localization.

I hope the comics give us more depth to their relationship though. While I'd like to see Mako-Lin happen in the Dark Horse comics, I can almost guarantee they won't do it. Partly for not being ballsy enough, partly because I don't think Bryke ships it. (But I ship it. Secretly. Because being in that kind of relationship with your boss can be scandalous if it gets out)

No, Book 4 was the end of Korra, and probably the end of TV Avatar universe. Nickelodeon won't greenlight any more animation production, but they also won't sell animation licensing. Of course, with Nick's financial straits, it may not be long before they don't have a choice.

Comics are pretty much for-sure at this point though. The last Avatar comic is supposed to be coming out in September, and after that we'll probably see some Korra comics.