The curious case of the VF-22S's guns

VF5SS

Given that plus shows the yf-19 outclassing the 22, I never quite understood why in 7 the 22 was the ace/special forces valk and the 19 was the new mainline valk... was it just that Isamu out flew Guld?

Because Yang is a master hacker, and he sabotaged the displays to make the -19 look better than it was and the -21 to look worse!!!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Given that plus shows the yf-19 outclassing the 22, I never quite understood why in 7 the 22 was the ace/special forces valk and the 19 was the new mainline valk... was it just that Isamu out flew Guld?

I always though of it like this: When the YF-19 was selected as the next main fighter for the UN Spacy, it went through significant retooling into the VF-19, this included changes that made the plane easier to fly (and may have reduced performance, but I'm not sure on that). The VF-22 also went through similar changes but was probably less "dumbed down", if you will, than the 19.

I think max and milia using the vf-22 is mostly to stick to the whole QRau theme for milia and max from dyrl.

Maybe milia is a stylish and agressive battroid mode fan and loves to ram the fist into an enemies cockpit with a pin point barrier punch, and finish the pilot off with a point blank shot to the face of the poor sucker inside the victim mech?

You guys ever consider the importance of doing flashy, up-close finishing moves or are you just interested in stats only?

Max did this in dyrl with his special modded gunpod which could shoot forwards while still attached to the forearm of his vf-1 in bot mode in dyrl, ...and milia did it to britai's soldiers who she could easily defeat without bothering to rely on the dreaded micromissile spam move.

The Qrau/vf-22 is a LOT better for pinpoint barrier punching people in the face and blasting them in the gut than the vf-19.

Maybe when you are on special missions you need to go "metal gear" style and not use up so much ammo so these up-close attacks and silent take-downs are needed more?

Does anyone remember that part in sdfm when milia first delivers those three zentradi spies on board the sdf-1 and she has to go in all stealthy without being allowed to waste time fighting? Thats the kind of thing I think the vf-22 would be better for because the weapons are more neatly hidden within the body/frame. VF-22 is probably more advanced imo. Having to change clips like the yf-19 is stupid and slower than swapping weapons. It's all about quick reaction speed and battle readiness not just how fast you can go in a straight line in fighter mode. Maybe the mission is very time critical? You don't want to alert the people that you just delivered spies (by being slow to get out of there) or the whole stealth mission fails.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Stealthy? I thought Milia's SDF infiltration mission involved missile clouds. If I recall, she immediately opened fire as soon as the humans sortied, despite orders not to engage if she could avoid it. Then inserted the intelligence operatives while under direct fire...

The Zentradi seem to have a remarkably poor understanding of stealth and subtlety, as an aside.

Also, don't forget that in DYRL she shot Kakizaki between the eyes from the horizon. Which is a different kind of style than a PPB punch to the ribs, and a blatant trick shot.

Heck, in SDF she devoted an entire operation to baiting Max out and then isolating him so she could fight him one-on-one, just because Kamjin said he MIGHT be her equal. That's not serious warfare.

Really, from what little screen time she has, she seems the kind of person that plays with her job, if only because she's so good at it that it's mind-numbingly boring otherwise. Which does match with stylish and agressive, but ... I wouldn't hold anything she does up as proof that the 22 is good for SUBTLETY, as I'm not convinced she knows the meaning of the word.

</thinking_too_hard_about_this>

And as much as I love the VF-22, I'dve liked to see Max and Millia's VF-1s together again at the end even more.

Yes, the 22 is the more logical plane to deploy two ace pilots, Space War 1 heroes, and top-ranking individuals in, being massively superior in every possible way, but how much of Macross 7 makes sound military sense? And the 1J is my favoritest Valk.

Of course, they COULDN'T have a 1J reunion, because Gamlin sucks.