Magic Engine predicaments...

John Focker

I just loaded Magic Engine 0.9.9 beta 5 on WinXP Home, in order to run the Macross 2036 I bought on Ebay. Now my E and F drives appear as F and G, and the emu keeps telling me disk error.

Has anyone ever run into this?

I hope someone can either help me fix the drive letter problem and/or make my Macross 2036 run. Are there any other PC Engine CD emus that are better?

Thanx a million in advance, for your expertise...

• 2 weeks later...

To fix your drive letter problem, goto Control Panel | System Tools | Disk Manager or something like that. I'm going off the top of my head here.

Then right click on each drive with the mixed up letters and re-letter them. Start with the F drive, set it back to E, then set the G drive back to F.

If you already have another drive named E for some reason (PC Engine Fack CD?), then set that drive to H or something high up on the alphabet to free up the letter E, then set your drives back accordingly. I haven't tested Macross 2036 on this computer yet so cannot offer you a better suggestion. Try your favorite file sharing program for a better emulator.

Good luck.

The problem may be that you haven't configured your ini file. In your Magic Engine directory, look for a file called "Pce.ini" Open it up and scroll to the CD ROM settings. It should look like this:

# ----

# CD-ROM settings

# ----

[cdrom]

;

; CD-ROM drive

; --

; 0 -> first CD-ROM drive [default]

; 1 -> second CD-ROM drive

; ...

;

drive=1

;

; CD-ROM drive letter

; --

; (Windows 2000/XP only)

;

; D:

; E:

; ...

;

drive_letter=E

Make sure the drive and drive letter are properly set. For example, on my pc, I want to use my second CD drive (E), so I set drive to "1" and drive_letter to "E." Hope this helps.

Thanks to Neova and TheLoneWolf...and...

It worked! It worked! But I can't hear any sound, is there another little magic switch I gotta flip?

Enjoying both Macross 2036 and Eternal Love Songs now...even on k/b! Gotta dig out my joypad tomorrow...

You guys are great, thanks again for making my day!

While playing the emu, try hitting F9.

If that doesn't work, edit the pce.ini file so that sound is enabled.

[sound]

;

; sound

; --

; y -> enabled [default]

; n -> disabled

;

sound=y

Have it so that sound is set to "y." From the pce.ini file, you can configure everything for Magic Engine. If the above tips don't work, a little trial & error with the .ini file is your best bet.

While playing the emu, try hitting F9.

If that doesn't work, edit the pce.ini file so that sound is enabled.

[sound]

;

; sound

; --

; y -> enabled [default]

; n -> disabled

;

sound=y

Have it so that sound is set to "y." From the pce.ini file, you can configure everything for Magic Engine. If the above tips don't work, a little trial & error with the .ini file is your best bet.

I had a problem hearing sound as well. Read the Magic Engine FAQ, it explains why audio might not work. What I ended up doing was plugging in headphones to my CD drive's output directly and that got some of the sound.

Magic Engine lacks a number of features, ironic given the fact that it's one of the few shareware emulators.

The only thing I saw in the FAQ that was relevant was about a flaw in the included reverse-engineered CD system cards.

And given I know of no other PCE/TG-16 emu that even comes with reverse-engineered BIOS images, that would place Magic Engine far ahead of the competition.

Though I use dumps of the system cards anyways.