BEWARE OF BOOBS!!!

Beware of Blast

:p:D:lol:

I don't consider myself good enough to teach... So I just want to share my ideas.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Hope the little tips are useful my friends. I know my explanations are not perfect, so please let me know if I’ve left out anything.

As I’ve tried my best to include every important technique I’ve used for making the AngelValk, there are certain micro-steps that I’ve left out. These micro-steps are very obvious if you can play with the software hands-on in person.

Other than that, I think my techniques are no different from other artists using different 2D software – If you were to look at the big picture. Not from the steps I show.

So if you have time, please share some feedbacks and critiques. Thanks!

yes i am an corel user, i started with corel 4, it came with my printer and i jumped from 4 straight to corel 9.

some sample of something that was in the old forum

Ah yes! I remember that side standing view of Minmay, you drew back in the old boards. Just didn't know you're a Corel user yourself back then - I'm happy I've found a 'Draw brother. :) I also remember Granbeetle san uses 'Draw too.

Great stuff akt_m hope to see more of your work.

V7 and UN Spacy, Horny buggers! Thanks alot for looking. :lol:

:blink: Don't say that bake_art. Your drawing skill is consistently good as it is. Just imagine how much better you'd be with coloring skills like that - It's only a matter of time one can easily attain technical skills.

Myself on the other hand, can only wish I can draw raw pencil sketches as good as you cuz yours is a natural talent. Natural talents are harder to attain and hone.

It's not natural talent, it's from buying all (yes, ALL) the books in the "How to Draw Manga" series by Graphic-Sha :lol:

btw Bob, drawing ability is only half the ability of a successful artist, creativeness is the other vital half. Compared to your angel valk design, my valkgirls are just copies of al0324's wicked original valkgirl design ('cept for the valkgirl variants and one particular vf-1 valkgirl design, those are mine :p )

but seriously, this tutorial was a huge help, now I'm looking for a copy of Coreldraw to install in my computer.

Edited by bake_art

btw Bob, drawing ability is only half the ability of a successful artist, creativeness is the other vital half. Compared to your angel valk design, my valkgirls are just copies of al0324's wicked original valkgirl design ('cept for the valkgirl variants and one particular vf-1 valkgirl design, those are mine :p )

but seriously, this tutorial was a huge help, now I'm looking for a copy of Coreldraw to install in my computer.

don't sell yourself short there bake_art... I use to hate valkgirls (except albert's Misa) but since you started drawing them it turned out they were pretty cool. I think it was those kits that I didn't like. I saw Mechmaster's in the modelling page and though he did an excellent job putting the kit together I still don't like way the look. That's the kit's fault, not Mechmaster's (who's a wonderful CG artist also :p )

Amyway... it got me into drawing some of my own, one of which I posted here.

MW has a wonderful community of talent, it's amazing. Did you guys see Chi's sketch of Sara??? Awesome!!!

BoB, great job on the tutorial... I needed more of a run through of the inking process... I don't know how possible that is, maybe I'll pm you when I get around to getting CorelDraw. But I still learned a lot from this one. Thanks! :)

Oh yeah, If you guys are interected in picking up CorelDRAW, this is THE book you all MUST get. There are no anime artworks though, but you can learn all there is to know about inking, coloring... virtually everything from A-Z about 'Draw.

But they don't teach you the alternative use for the drop shadow for flesh coloring in that book though, I stumbled upon that technique myself. :)

Behold!

post-5-1070309513.gif

Hm, very quiet thread. Must be a busy weekend for all. I would appreciate it, if anyone can share their tips as well. :)

Or they're too busy with the unarmored picts :lol::p

Vostok 7

Damn, I wish I had time to draw...so I can draw nekkid chicks and flip thru research material. ;)

Who said you had to draw to look through 'research materials?'

:p

Bob, do you use interactive drop shadow in all your vector lineart? I was looking at your Komilia Jenius pic and it seems to be more manually painted (with clearly defined shadows) compared to the angel valk.

Oh yeah, can you please make a tutorial for coloring in general? Not coloring as in using a particular software, but more of like knowing where to put shadows and highlights, etc. My skills at adding 3-dimensionality to my pictures (shading & highlights) leaves a lot to be desired

Oh yeah, and one last thing, if you do make that angel valk into a persocon send one to me too :D

Edited by bake_art

Persocon?! I think valkyrietestpilot is just joking there. :D

But er, what is it about AngelValk that made you guys mention Persocon? :huh:

I am a fan of Chobits though. :p

The interactive drop shadow coloring is only used for AngelValk and your Low-Vis Valkgirl so far.

Edit:- Sorry bake_art, I didn't quite understand your question just now... just realised you only wanted know where and when to put highlight, midtone, and shadow - when you color. That's too broad a subject don't you think? :D

Komilia Jenius was colored with a more straightforward method, kind of like how the Love Hina characters are colored - that's why her highlight, midtone, and shadow are solid and clearly defined.

As far as the Komilia piece that I did is concerned, like the AngelValk, she's also drawn with 'Draw. I simply chose a solid midtone then added a shadow color and lastly the white highlight. The white highlight is then, soften with the "interactive transparency tool", so some parts of the white can merge nicely with the midtone.

But you MUST remember... That Komilia piece was originally illustrated by Mikimoto for a Macross game. All I did was "remaster" the picture (as the original picture was in very low resolution) and I also added her arms, lower torso and legs. Besides, the original Mikimoto piece was in color, so color application for me as far as highlight, midtone, and shadow are concerned, is a no-brainer. :p

Now, if you want to master coloring irregardless of media, you gotta get to it thru trial and error. And with lots of practice, experimentation and lighting on flesh references. I'm sure you know, every media's method of color application differs from one to another.

Edited by Beware of Blast

your creation was such a cutie it made me think of the persocoms from chobits.your cutie would be a perfect candidate for one!!! think of it your own cutie to be your personal walking computer themed as a macross valkyrie!! :p

Haha, during lunch today, I happen to browse thru the Chobits:- YOUR EYES ONLY in a book store... I must say, you're right valkyrietestpilot! :lol: AngelValk now kind of reminds me of Chii. Hmm, maybe it's the pose and facial expression. Must go back and buy that book - it has REALLY beautiful illustrations of Chii.

Best of luck EXO!

glad to see me and valkyrietestpilot aren't the only ones infected with chobits madness *chii!* :D

just realised you only wanted know where and when to put highlight, midtone, and shadow

actually Bob the tutorial was perfect, I didn't know that there was software out there that helps make drawings "easier" to make (photoshop only helps with the touch ups and coloring) it's pretty annoying though that I cant seem to get hold of that program, and the place I'm learning photoshop in doesn't seem to have to have any Corel software installed on their computers :angry:

bake_art, this is how I usually try to tone and color my stuff to make them look "3D". Just remember... where the light source touches on a surface, that will be the highlight. The midtone comes next, followed by shadow. And lastly the shadow of that object is cast behind it. Let me know if the formula below helps.

post-5-1070441197_thumb.jpg

glad to see me and valkyrietestpilot aren't the only ones infected with chobits madness *chii!*  :D
just realised you only wanted know where and when to put highlight, midtone, and shadow

actually Bob the tutorial was perfect, I didn't know that there was software out there that helps make drawings "easier" to make (photoshop only helps with the touch ups and coloring) it's pretty annoying though that I cant seem to get hold of that program, and the place I'm learning photoshop in doesn't seem to have to have any Corel software installed on their computers :angry:

Maybe you should get the CorelDRAW WOW book I recommended. The CD that comes with it has version 5 and 8 for you to tryout. You can decide later if 'Draw is right for you once you get to try it hands on.

Edit:- Btw, if you really couldn't get hold of any 'Draw software, you can also try Adobe Illustrator or Macromedia Freehand. Being vector type software, I think it can achieve whatever 'Draw does.

Edited by Beware of Blast

I can't tell you much about Macromedia Flash... That would be MW member Joseph's domain. But just look at one of his work attached below. It damn fine if you ask me. :)

Probably works the same as 'Draw as it's a vector animation software.

Btw, can any Flash experts help bake_art out? Thanks in advance!

post-5-1070470250_thumb.jpg

Will macromedia flash be similar to CorelDraw?

Flash is seemed to Corel Draw, only that flash this oriented to project vectorial animations in Internet and Corel Draw is more for printing things.

Flash include lenguaje action script for animation control.

Freehand is Flash without animation.