VOTE MACROSS IN SAI MECHA TOURNAMENT

Xard

(Sorry, not sure if correct subforum but seemed closest as this isn't about Macross series per se)

As some of you may know there's Sai Mecha tournament currently going on, not surprisingly a mecha variant on Sai Moe concept. So yes, mecha fans nominated their favourites and now we've already gone through few rounds of brutal voting, with only eight mechas remaining to contest for the position of one to rule them all.

Good news for us Macross fans, out of three Valkyries participating in the tournament TWO ARE STILL GOING ON!! VF-25 was kicked out the tournament when it was pitted against Eva-01 but the original classic VF-1 and Isamu's YF-19 still go on, hopefully towards eventual victory for one of them! :)

The next rounds are TOUGH however, and especially worried I'm for YF-19 as it faces nothing less than massively popular Gurren Lagann. Meanwhile VF-1S goes against Sinanju from Gundam Unicorn, a worthy opponent for sure. To bolster chances of beloved Variable Fighters I'm following Ghostlightning's advice:

So, you want your favored mecha to win? CAMPAIGN. You want the final matchups be populated by the worthiest? CAMPAIGN. You want the kind of voting to be done with your particular kind of geekery? CAMPAIGN. And FFS, don’t campaign here. Flame each other here, hate on each other’s votes here, all is fair in war. But if you really want to get votes (which is what actually you know, COUNTS in a poll), GO TO WHERE THE FANS ARE. The voters here already know what they’re voting for.

As part of Evangelion fanbase I know they've been mobilized to extent to push Eva units to victory - I think it's just fair to counterbalance things a bit ;)

Perhaps they come to regret their inconsiderate words "I love eva too much to let it lose to some wussy Macross junk"...

VOTE HERE:

SAI MECHA - THE SUPER DIMENSIONAL ROBOT TOURNAMENT

The ongoing matches are:

Eva 01 (Evangelion) vs Tachikoma (GitS SAC)

VF-1 (SDF Macross) vs Sinanju (Gundam Unicorn)

Zaku II (Mobile Suit Gundam) vs Escaflowne (Escaflowne)

YF-19 (Macross Plus) vs Gurren Lagann (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)

Hopefully if we all come together we can pull this off! Long live Macross! Let's see it gain upperhand in duel with Gundam and kick out overblown super robot with transforming real goodness :)

Edited by Xard

I love Gurren Lagann the series as much as the next guy but the mecha design never appealed to me and is pretty boring in comparison to Kawamori's VFs. Isamu is also much better pilot than either Kamina or Simon ever was and YF-19 really is mecha that depends on pilot skills to large extent.

More Macross units in next round the better, I say. Last thing I want to see is to see Eva-01 vs Gurren Lagann finale, which is very likely option if Valkyries drop from the game.

Edited by Xard

I love Gurren Lagann the series as much as the next guy but the mecha design never appealed to me and is pretty boring in comparison to Kawamori's VFs. Isamu is also much better pilot than either Kamina or Simon ever was and YF-19 really is mecha that depends on pilot skills to large extent.

More Macross units in next round the better, I say. Last thing I want to see is to see Eva-01 vs Gurren Lagann finale, which is very likely option if Valkyries drop from the game.

I'd vote for the VF-1 against GL, but the the 19.

I can imagine eva-01 eating a vf-25, followed by a burp, and suddenly braking into a nyan nyan dance that loops for 20 minutes while Rei and Asuka quietly ride an elevator. Third impact ensues.

It would not shock me if this turned out to be the actual ending of the Rebuild movies.

I can imagine eva-01 eating a vf-25, followed by a burp, and suddenly braking into a nyan nyan dance that loops for 20 minutes while Rei and Asuka quietly ride an elevator. Third impact ensues.

While Shinji cries because he's unsure of his life?

Although I was pretty excited when all this started, I don't see this being succesful unless we start bringing in tons of mecha from the "golden era" ... there just isn't enough new mecha content each year, whereas there is pretty much like 20 new moeblob imouto tsundere per season.

(On a related note, I feel like I'm the only person in the world who supported Biri-Biri in ISML in the final battle against Mio ;_; )

would've been fun to watch the variable fighter and the scopedog, both mass production units, duke it out. a shame.

GREAT NEWS! INCREDIBLY BOTH VF-1 AND YF-19 SURVIVED TO THE SEMIFINALS!!!!

Voting Results

Earth Side

Evangelion UNIT 01 vs Tachikoma (53.28% vs 46.72%)

VF-1 Valkyrie vs Sinanju (63.18% vs 36.82%)

Colonies Side

YF-19 Excalibur vs Gurren Lagann (53.26% vs 46.74%)

Zaku II vs Escaflowne (58.24% vs 41.76%)

Bonus Round

Any given Innovator vs Full Frontal vs Mister Bushido vs South Burning (36.8% vs 31.2% vs 23.6% vs 8.4%)

As much as I was hoping for it I still didn't believe YF-19 could win Gurren Lagann (especially since GL got some votes even from here it seems :p ) but that happened!

What this means is that we have a chance for ALL VF FINALE!!!!

BOTH semifinal matches will truly be something and I think the first one will actually supercede the finale. Time has come for Evangelion and Macross franchises to duke it out with their most iconic units! We can't let VF-1 to lose this one, can we? ;)

Meanwhile YF-19 goes against the most classic grunt mech of them all, Zaku II, in a Gundam vs Macross showdown.

Macross is the only franchise left with two mechs in the play and this means if things go well we can secure double victory over Oedipal, raging monsters and the mecha equivalent of imperial stormtrooper B))

So, the upcoming semifinals:

Earth Side Shield Contenders

Evangelion UNIT 01 vs VF-1 Valkyrie

Colonies Side Shield Contenders

YF-19 Excalibur vs Zaku II

Voting has not started yet, however. I'll make another post when it starts :)

would've been fun to watch the variable fighter and the scopedog, both mass production units, duke it out. a shame.

Certainly. Still, I think Eva-01 vs VF-1 and Zaku II vs YF-19 are more than worthy matches to replace this one. ^_^

(oh, and YF-19 decimated scopedog so I don't even dare to wonder how much a steamroll it would've been if scopedog had gone against legendary VF-1 :lol: )

Edited by Xard

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder that the POLL CLOSES PRETTY SOON:

Voting – Polls close at 23:59 EST on 3 June

if you haven't yet given your vote for Macross or have hesitated now is time to act!!! ;)

Edited by Xard

http://saimecha.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/sai-mecha-semi-finals-results/

alas it was a bitter defeat :(

Close matches, back and forth the whole time, now that’s a competition! Welcome back, Sai Mecha fans, this is your host, ExecutiveOtaku. We had ourselves quite a battle here, the only question is where to start? In the Earth Side Championship match the VF-1 Valkyrie came strong out of the gate, gathering an early and persistent lead over the UNIT 01 until halfway through the match. Both mecha fought with guts and determination, and the voting totals went back and forth several times. But eventually the Evangelion UNIT 01 came through and managed to hold onto enough votes for the win. It was then presented with the Earth Side Champion’s trophy, the Acgao Gai Gar Trophy. Which it proceeded to eat.

On the other side of the Sai Mecha Battlegrounds, the Colonies Side contenders fought for their trophy. This match also changed hands a few times, though not as dramatically as the Earth Side. The YF-19 got off to an early, but small lead. The Zaku II managed to hold the votes close and eventually overpowered the other Macross contender in the tournament. While the Earth Side has been marked by loud, angry competition between fans of the VF-1 and UNIT 01, on the Colonies Side the contestants came in with much more dignified fan appeals. I have to think that this has something to do with both contestants being real robots. When you don’t have the real vs super conflict in the room, you get a much more civilized contest. After the match the Zaku II was presented with the Acguy Scopedog Trophy and crowned Champion of the Colonies Side. This has to be a big day for the Colonists. I don’t agree with their politics, but it has to feel good for their home team mecha to take home the Colonies trophy. Fans then rushed the stadium and proceeded to paint their champion red! You see some crazy things in Sai Mecha, but this has to be right up there with the big moments.

There you have it, Sai Mecha fans! Get ready for the first ever Sai Mecha Championship Match!