14 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I have a Boox e-reader, the Leaf 2 (I hear it's been replaced by the Page now, though).

Yeah, Onyx updates models as regularly as you breathe.

I have a Boox Nova.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Yeah, Onyx updates models as regularly as you breathe.

Which would be cool... if they put in a better display, faster CPU, or moved on from Android 11. AFAIK the only difference between the Leaf 2 and the Page is 1GB of RAM.

5 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Which would be cool... if they put in a better display, faster CPU, or moved on from Android 11. AFAIK the only difference between the Leaf 2 and the Page is 1GB of RAM.

Yeah, I probably shoulda put update in quotes. They make very minor changes and call it a new model. I'l call it like the model year on cars, but they go faster than that(sometimes much faster).

The older Android version is because Google stopped supporting eInk displays some time back, so the manufacturers have to do some significant coding to get new versions of Android working. It results in Android-based readers being what the smartphone market would call hopelessly obsolete. 

7 hours ago, JB0 said:

The older Android version is because Google stopped supporting eInk displays some time back, so the manufacturers have to do some significant coding to get new versions of Android working. It results in Android-based readers being what the smartphone market would call hopelessly obsolete. 

Ouch, that's unfortunate.

8 hours ago, JB0 said:

That's... really not ideal.  Google stops supporting older versions of Android.  Like, I think you have to have at least Android 5.0 to even run GApps (including the Play Store and Google Play Books), and Android 11 is the oldest version that Google still supports with security updates.  Basically all e-ink Android readers and tablets are on the edge of obsolescence.

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

That's... really not ideal.  Google stops supporting older versions of Android.  Like, I think you have to have at least Android 5.0 to even run GApps (including the Play Store and Google Play Books), and Android 11 is the oldest version that Google still supports with security updates.  Basically all e-ink Android readers and tablets are on the edge of obsolescence.

Ayup. It sucks.

I'm not too bothered by it, since I don't use much from Google's store on mine, but it is a definite issue.

I assume Onyx is working on a newer version, but who knows if older devices will see it or if they use it to push a hardware refresh.