Limbo

mustang1

Hello all,

First I would like to say that I am generation 8 bit. That is, I grow up with the classic side scrollers on the original NES. Gradually I lost interest in games for a while. Despite all the innovations, I thought the technology was just not there or just not polished enough once games made the transition into 3D.When games hit their stride again in the mid 90's (just my opinion) I got back into it, and of course the rest is just Playstation, Xbox and Wii Hi Def progressive scan goodness history!

Stop Reading Now Download This Game and Come Back and Read The Rest!!!!!!

Having said that, you must Download Limbo Now! This game is an absolute masterpiece and pushes the boundaries of gaming Narrative with (Ironically) no Narrative. It is atmospheric, creepy and tragic and the fact that not much is known about the character, his quest or where he is exactly, leaves room for so much speculation no doubt by now flooding Google search engines.

I will not say much about the game as you must experience Limbo in order to appreciate it fully. It is truly an immersive game and it will hook you from start to finish. This is an absolute gem of a game!

Your though please for those who have played?

Hello all,

First I would like to say that I am generation 8 bit. That is, I grow up with the classic side scrollers on the original NES. Gradually I lost interest in games for a while. Despite all the innovations, I thought the technology was just not there or just not polished enough once games made the transition into 3D.When games hit their stride again in the mid 90's (just my opinion) I got back into it, and of course the rest is just Playstation, Xbox and Wii Hi Def progressive scan goodness history!

Stop Reading Now Download This Game and Come Back and Read The Rest!!!!!!

Having said that, you must Download Limbo Now! This game is an absolute masterpiece and pushes the boundaries of gaming Narrative with (Ironically) no Narrative. It is atmospheric, creepy and tragic and the fact that not much is known about the character, his quest or where he is exactly, leaves room for so much speculation no doubt by now flooding Google search engines.

I will not say much about the game as you must experience Limbo in order to appreciate it fully. It is truly an immersive game and it will hook you from start to finish. This is an absolute gem of a game!

Your though please for those who have played?

I hated it. I wish developers, especially Indie developers, would stop mistaking art for gameplay. Yes, the game is visually a work of art, conveying a lot of the games atmosphere in a gorgeous monochrome. The gameplay, though, pretty much consisted of running into an instant-kill trap you couldn't see, remembering where it was so you could get by it when you respawned, only to run into the next insant-kill trap. Repeat ad-nauseum.

I hated it. I wish developers, especially Indie developers, would stop mistaking art for gameplay. Yes, the game is visually a work of art, conveying a lot of the games atmosphere in a gorgeous monochrome. The gameplay, though, pretty much consisted of running into an instant-kill trap you couldn't see, remembering where it was so you could get by it when you respawned, only to run into the next insant-kill trap. Repeat ad-nauseum.

I do see your point in some respects mikeszekely...but I do feel that all gaming is art in some aspect no?

I do see your point in some respects mikeszekely...but I do feel that all gaming is art in some aspect no?

In some aspect, it is... but do you consider art to be interactive on the level of a video game? When you think of 'art', you usually think of a single frame capturing the moment of the artist's inspiration.

In some aspect, it is... but do you consider art to be interactive on the level of a video game? When you think of 'art', you usually think of a single frame capturing the moment of the artist's inspiration.

I feel that art is not limited to a single thing but rather your emotional response to the "said thing". I remember how I felt when I took down my First colossus and feeling as though I had done something so wrong. It goes without saying that Shadow of the colossus is a work of art. It evoked real emotion and it has stayed with me to this day. True, the nature of the medium is to entertain, but to say it is not art simply because it is interactive, is not giving it its true value. So much of this industry is instant gratification, kill shots, multiplayer, online this or that…it goes on and on, much to the detriment of gaming in general. Don’t get me wrong, those have their place, but this medium also deserves a soul. Something by which a novice can say, wow there is something to be said about how stories can be told through “video games” which has since become an anachronism for a grossly underappreciated art form.

I feel that art is not limited to a single thing but rather your emotional response to the "said thing". I remember how I felt when I took down my First colossus and feeling as though I had done something so wrong. It goes without saying that Shadow of the colossus is a work of art. It evoked real emotion and it has stayed with me to this day. True, the nature of the medium is to entertain, but to say it is not art simply because it is interactive, is not giving it its true value. So much of this industry is instant gratification, kill shots, multiplayer, online this or that…it goes on and on, much to the detriment of gaming in general. Don’t get me wrong, those have their place, but this medium also deserves a soul. Something by which a novice can say, wow there is something to be said about how stories can be told through “video games” which has since become an anachronism for a grossly underappreciated art form.

the thing is, Video games aren't just about the visual/emotional content, they're about the interactivity. The User interface and game-play mechanics are what sets a game apart from a movie. If a game has good visuals and narrative but is frustrating/excessively difficult/boring to play, then it still fails as a game. I'm all for interesting stories and unique visual style in games; but if it's not fun to play, then there was no point making this a GAME. It should have just been a film.

Hey, I'm all for games as art. Mass Effect, as a sci-fi narrative experience, is on par with Star Wars. Portal did an amazing job of creating atmosphere almost entirely through the dialogue of a psychotic computer. And the list goes on.

But there's a world of difference between games as art and art as games. It doesn't matter how beautiful your game looks or how atmospheric it is if the game is no fun to play.

We're not arguing that there's no artistic aspect to games; it's just that we're saying that it's tough to compare art and games on the same spectrum. However, I do know what you mean when you see a game that just "looks" so good, that it HAS to be considered art. The whole package could be immortalized as a work of art if it's good enough.

Hey, I'm all for games as art. Mass Effect, as a sci-fi narrative experience, is on par with Star Wars. Portal did an amazing job of creating atmosphere almost entirely through the dialogue of a psychotic computer. And the list goes on.

But there's a world of difference between games as art and art as games. It doesn't matter how beautiful your game looks or how atmospheric it is if the game is no fun to play.

You got me there. You do have a great point mike. :) though I did find this game to be extremely entertaining . I do agree with you , it means nothing to look so good if you are not fun to play.

Great comments all :D

Edited by mustang1