ADFX-01 Morgan conversion poll

leading edge

I've been thinking about building the morgan after the project I'm working on but getting a consensus on parts and look of this fictional build would be nice. I'm thinking of putting some serious money into this project but I feel I need the extra push to motivate me to spend this much on this X-plane. I 'm calling on people from the macoss world forums to formulate a definite opinion to give me an informed decision and give ideas for an authentic look of this plane. I'll post some pictures and ref please be as critical a possible.

post-12728-127775375383_thumb.jpg

post-12728-127775377311_thumb.jpg

post-12728-127775378694_thumb.jpg

post-12728-12777537978_thumb.jpg

post-12728-127775381589_thumb.jpg

post-12728-127775383371_thumb.jpg

i swear i thought i'd seen a kit of the Falken from Ace Combat as well, so that may make a good starting point as the two craft share a lot of similarities.

Yes, it's made by Bandai under the EX line. Somewhat rare, but they pop up on evil-bay once in a while. Dalong has one on his site.

In principle the Falken to Morgan conversion makes sense as the planes are evolutionarily related, tricky part will just be to create a more normal-looking cockpit and graft it onto the Morgan.

Looking at those pictures, I'd think it would really just be a waste to use a Falken kit to make a Morgan.. the only parts they really share are the wings and tails, and maybe the intakes. The rest of the Falken is much more angular and boxy than anything on the Morgan, especially in the engine area. And that's not even touching the forward fuselage (which actually looks sort of like a blending between an F-16 and MiG-29).

That being said, I'd love to see a kit of this, but I'd probably have to put my own tweaks to it.. I love the creativity behind some of the Ace Combat superplanes, but some just have several features that just make no aerodynamic sense, even if they look fun or different. Personally, I always thought the fuselage surface should have extended back further between the engines to form a reverse arrowhead shape on both the Falken and Morgan.

Looking at those pictures, I'd think it would really just be a waste to use a Falken kit to make a Morgan.. the only parts they really share are the wings and tails, and maybe the intakes. The rest of the Falken is much more angular and boxy than anything on the Morgan, especially in the engine area. And that's not even touching the forward fuselage (which actually looks sort of like a blending between an F-16 and MiG-29).

It depends on how you define waste.

If we're talking about the sentimental value and risk associated with using a somewhat rare kit as a starting point to make a Morgan, then yeah I agree with you (though some people like the Morgan better than the Falken, so they couldn't care less).

However, if we're discussing waste in terms of lack of similarities between the Morgan and Falken... then my response is simply that a project akin to this (unless 100% scratch-built) inevitably generates waste if there is any sort of kit-bashing or borrowing components involved. Of course the Falken and Morgan are not 100% similar. But using the Falken as a starting point will generate less waste than using a real aircraft kit as it has the general shape, canard, wing, and engine placement as the Morgan.

Also, per the instructions of the Falken kit, the forward fuselage is assembled as a sub-component (it's on the same site I linked) leaving some room for a scratch built forward fuselage which will address the biggest difference between both craft.

Not trying to tell the OP what to do, as he obviously sounds like an experienced scratch-builder, which is the only way to guarantee 100% accuracy.

Good point. I was mainly thinking about the rarity of the kit, but I'm also one of those who really prefers the morgan anyway. ^_^

Oy, I need to get back into CG modeling. There are so many designs I've wanted to build up in the computer, just to work out the finer details.

Good point. I was mainly thinking about the rarity of the kit, but I'm also one of those who really prefers the morgan anyway. ^_^

Oy, I need to get back into CG modeling. There are so many designs I've wanted to build up in the computer, just to work out the finer details.

Thanks for the interest I've been really thinking about this build so I've decided to update a little more. here are a few top front and bottom view of the Morgan I drew with the reference I have I'll revise and update the build as I go. I need more Ideas for kits hope this will help.

post-12728-127819094341_thumb.jpg

post-12728-127819109619_thumb.jpg

post-12728-127819119225_thumb.jpg

Edited by leading edge