I have a question about Dragon Ball Z Kai

Okay, I know it's a reairing of the original DBZ seiries, but I do have a question about it. Is it being aired uncut? I would like to know, because a few years ago I saw a few uncut episodes (around the time when Goku crashed Recoome's party during the Namek Saga) of DBZ when it was on the late Saturday night Adult Swim block on Cartoon Network and liked what I saw.

Basically what it is is Toei and sponsors re-releasing the series without all the filler crap and making it truer to the manga. Typically anime is produced while the Manga is still being drawn, and animation companies and sponsors will add in "filler" to help lengthen a storyline in time for the next one to get done in manga form or whenever the author is done with the story in time to hand it off to the animation groups.

I think a good example is that Rurouni Kenshin wasn't finished Manga wise by the time the animation finished with Shishio story and spun off into it's own universe away from the Manga.

Another good example is bleach and D.Gray-man having a lot of filler cause they were catching up to the Manga's last issue frequently before the next volume could be released or more of the story could be developed.

So basically, Kai is just a retelling without all the dripple. It's more action focused than it's previous style.

yeah its just a re-telling without the filler,uncut too. Its a shame its just the old dbz series tho when i first heard of it i thought it would be a full re-do with new animation and everything,but alas only the intro and credits are new..

Because they cut out the filler, it is by definition not "uncut," right? In addition, they had to do modifications to get it to the 16:9 aspect ratio, and they apparently removed blood and changed some color palettes.

Because they cut out the filler, it is by definition not "uncut," right? In addition, they had to do modifications to get it to the 16:9 aspect ratio, and they apparently removed blood and changed some color palettes.

Not quite. They took the original uncut DBZ footage cleaned it up then removed all the unnecessary scenes and episodes. Like the many clip/flashback episodes, the screaming powering up episodes and episodes where characters do random things that contribute in no way to the story. They're taking close to 300 episodes and condensing it down to 100

It's uncut in a way that it follows the manga. But that doesn't mean that things like blood, loss of limbs or cheap tricks weren't removed in some way. THERE ARE NO RANDOM FLOWERS COVER THE NAUGHTY BITS!

Cutting out filler is good... I always cracked up at the bits of "Last time on DBZ: 'KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....'" followed by "Next time On DBZ: '....HHMAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.....'" laugh.gif Okay, so it wasn't that bad, but I never have seen the original in full.

I will admit though.. while I imagine some important bits did get cut out, I thought DBZ Abridged pretty much nailed it. laugh.gif Part of me wonders how close the abridged series' pacing would match up to the new recut.

Edited by Chronocidal